The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #18,916 of 22,406
So I just got a pair of TC's (I know, I know), but I'm finding bass sounds like farts. Like, really bad. Treble and mids sound fine. I'm also hearing a metallic vibration in the frame that triggers when the right tone is hit in the right ear. Don't know how to describe it but it's like something is on the driver and vibrating. I've tried a variety of positions and ear cup configurations. I can hear potential but something is clearly not right.

Is my v281 completely unable to drive these or something? Or is there an issue with this set? Trying them out with this track

and it's a hot mess

Everything you say indicates they're broke. Those are some beaten up looking headphones. There is no fixing them on your end.

Dec 18, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #18,918 of 22,406
Definitely not the V281. I still have my old one and listen to it once in a while, and no issues.
Thank you for the confirmation.

just to ensure with u. this is the phi cc verson. not the tc. the tc will have " total conciousness" engraving
Wait, what?

So not only did The Cable Company fail to send me a working pair for my ~$300 "rental fee", but they also failed to send the correct version of the headphones? I'll be requesting a full refund from them and I'll be sure to recommend others avoid using their lending library service in the future.

@Abyss Headphones - I must say I'm quite disappointed in the experience with The Cable Company here. I ended up working The Cable Company on recommendation from Abyss after a phone call/email with the Abyss team a couple of weeks ago and I'd like you to be aware that this has been my experience. They were also quite nonchalant about it. "Very unfortunate, but it is what it is", was an exact quote from the team over there today. The only proposed solution was to see about sending their other loaner pair to me sometime in January when it comes back in. Which may or may not be an actual pair of TC's, apparently.

In the end, I just wanted to demo a normal pair of TC's so that I could confirm they fit well and make an informed decision about how they sound with my music and confirm they will be what I'm looking for. Is there anything you can do to help me get that done this week short of dropping $5k+ and holding my breath with the specter of a large restocking fee looming if I'm not happy?

As you all can imagine, thas certainly been about as poor a first impression as one could have of a brand and reseller. I'm just wearing them with no sound to see how I feel about the general fit because...what else can I do with them? smh.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #18,919 of 22,406
@ajreynol We've worked with The Cable Company for over 20 years. They're professionals. Seems a beat up headphone was accidentally mixed into the lending library, sh.t happens. Not to mention, we're all people.
Happy Holidays

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Dec 18, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #18,920 of 22,406
@ajreynol We've worked with The Cable Company for over 20 years. They're professionals. Seems a beat up headphone was accidentally mixed into the lending library, sh.t happens. Not to mention, we're all people.
Happy Holidays
This issue is not on Abyss. They obviously send the cable company a working headphone in good condition. What happens to it once it’s loaned out is not their fault, or their responsibility. That’s on the cable company. Furthermore if the cable company doesn’t do anything about it, or try to send it back for repair or replacement, that again is on the cable company. Abyss is not responsible for anything they have no knowledge of, unless they have ESP.

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #18,921 of 22,406
I used cable company to purchase chord Sarum T digital super array usb, pretty smooth transaction.

Dec 18, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #18,922 of 22,406
Damn, woo price increase. Guess I'm ordering today then. WA33 Elite JPS here we come.

Dec 18, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #18,923 of 22,406
This wasn’t the place for this, sorry

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #18,924 of 22,406
Frankly americas state of anocracy, usa is not considered a democracy any more, is more of a concern for me where my dollars go. Maybe I’ll wait and see how the next two three years go and see if usa can once again join free democracies like Canada again. Good luck, it’s going to take effort to save.
What are you smoking?

Dec 18, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #18,925 of 22,406
Happy Holidays
I love the customer service oriented response here. So classy.

Dec 18, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #18,927 of 22,406
Happy Holidays
I hear you, but you never get a second chance to make a first impression. If it's all the same to you, I'll be buying directly from Abyss should I decide to pick up a pair.

It's not the mistake (mistakes, actually, given I didn't even receive the correct version of headphone), it's the nonchalant response to it. This isn't exactly getting the size of fries wrong at the fast food joint.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #18,928 of 22,406
Thank you for the confirmation.

Wait, what?

So not only did The Cable Company fail to send me a working pair for my ~$300 "rental fee", but they also failed to send the correct version of the headphones? I'll be requesting a full refund from them and I'll be sure to recommend others avoid using their lending library service in the future.

@Abyss Headphones - I must say I'm quite disappointed in the experience with The Cable Company here. I ended up working The Cable Company on recommendation from Abyss after a phone call/email with the Abyss team a couple of weeks ago and I'd like you to be aware that this has been my experience. They were also quite nonchalant about it. "Very unfortunate, but it is what it is", was an exact quote from the team over there today. The only proposed solution was to see about sending their other loaner pair to me sometime in January when it comes back in. Which may or may not be an actual pair of TC's, apparently.

In the end, I just wanted to demo a normal pair of TC's so that I could confirm they fit well and make an informed decision about how they sound with my music and confirm they will be what I'm looking for. Is there anything you can do to help me get that done this week short of dropping $5k+ and holding my breath with the specter of a large restocking fee looming if I'm not happy?

As you all can imagine, thas certainly been about as poor a first impression as one could have of a brand and reseller. I'm just wearing them with no sound to see how I feel about the general fit because...what else can I do with them? smh.
not sure you can or should be beating up on the people at abyss who I can say from experience treat their customers well based upon an unfortunate situation with the cable company...I am surprised it doesnt happen more often given all the different people who sample these headphones

Dec 19, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #18,929 of 22,406
not sure you can or should be beating up on the people at abyss who I can say from experience treat their customers well based upon an unfortunate situation with the cable company...I am surprised it doesnt happen more often given all the different people who sample these headphones
No, he's incomplete. Bitching about the current service edition is ok; he paid, they sent him the wrong headphone, one that is faulty as crap happens. Despite whatever attitude you perceive, did you lose out on money, or did they rectify the lending model or fully provide a refund.

I, too, am surprised this doesn't happen more often. It's one of the reasons I'll only deal directly with dealers.

Dec 19, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #18,930 of 22,406
I agree he has a legitimate beef but not with abyss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back