The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 20, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #18,181 of 22,297
20211021_102943_HDR.jpg
I am currently testing the SC cable vs my Lazuli Ultra and when it comes to sonic properties, I prefer Lazuli. The SC already sharpens the sound a bit too much and slightly slims the sound (I don't like the high tones in particular, they are too sharp for me), I also think that the soundstage on Lazuli is better. The sound on Lazuli is smoother, fuller, more musical, i get more bass, less treble and fuller mids.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #18,182 of 22,297
I am currently testing the SC cable vs my Lazuli Ultra and when it comes to sonic properties, I prefer Lazuli. The SC already sharpens the sound a bit too much and slightly slims the sound (I don't like the high tones in particular, they are too sharp for me), I also think that the soundstage on Lazuli is better. The sound on Lazuli is smoother, fuller, more musical, i get more bass, less treble and fuller mids.
Could you compare the Lazuli to stock cable and advise which one you prefer?

Oct 21, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #18,183 of 22,297
This schitt is crazy. The drumming :astonished:

RoonShareImage-637704441077757189.png

Oct 24, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #18,187 of 22,297
Also was wondering, my stack is currently a yggy a2 w/ unison + hsa 1b, would this bottleneck the 1266?
Definitely won't bottleneck it but the 1266 scales nicely based on what I've read so you might want to explore other options too. There are some impressions of other people in the thread using the hsa-1b with the 1266 that you could check out by searching. I wouldn't worry about bottlenecking the headphone unless you were using a 789 and some low cost dac

Oct 24, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #18,188 of 22,297
While waiting for my 1266 to ship I've been driving myself insane trying to decide on next upgrade.

Upgrade the SU-9 or get something like a primaluna Evo tube preamp.

For DACs I'm leaning MP-D2 MK3, or the musetec mh-da005, but I can't help but think a tube preamp would be the most fun.

Oct 24, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #18,189 of 22,297
While waiting for my 1266 to ship I've been driving myself insane trying to decide on next upgrade.

Upgrade the SU-9 or get something like a primaluna Evo tube preamp.

For DACs I'm leaning MP-D2 MK3, or the musetec mh-da005, but I can't help but think a tube preamp would be the most fun.
Just lurking and curious; why those 2 DAC choices? Is there something special about them?

Oct 24, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #18,190 of 22,297
Just lurking and curious; why those 2 DAC choices? Is there something special about them?
the idea of a tubed DAC is intriguing, thus the MP-D2 MK3. While researching the MP-D2 MK3 someone mentioned they prefer the MH-DA004, which lead me to the MH-DA005, and some people are saying it holds it's own against the Holoaudio May even. But I still love the idea that you can replace the DAC in the MP-D2 MK3 later if something new comes out. So I go back to that.

Both of these DACs look like they could compete with much more expensive DACs. That's the big reason I'm looking at these two.

But really, are these a significant upgrade over the SU-9? I just don't know. How much am I really going to notice the difference between the SU-9 and one of these other DACs. I have the feeling that I'm going to have to spend more than $2k to really notice the difference from the SU-9. Which makes me think I should go for a tube Pre-Amp next.

I can talk myself into circles all day.

Oct 24, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #18,192 of 22,297
the idea of a tubed DAC is intriguing, thus the MP-D2 MK3. While researching the MP-D2 MK3 someone mentioned they prefer the MH-DA004, which lead me to the MH-DA005, and some people are saying it holds it's own against the Holoaudio May even. But I still love the idea that you can replace the DAC in the MP-D2 MK3 later if something new comes out. So I go back to that.

Both of these DACs look like they could compete with much more expensive DACs. That's the big reason I'm looking at these two.

But really, are these a significant upgrade over the SU-9? I just don't know. How much am I really going to notice the difference between the SU-9 and one of these other DACs. I have the feeling that I'm going to have to spend more than $2k to really notice the difference from the SU-9. Which makes me think I should go for a tube Pre-Amp next.

I can talk myself into circles all day.
I think at the end of the day, at this level, synergy is most important. Yes there are different price levels, but the best sound will come from the setup that compliments itself, and transcends the sum of its parts...

Oct 24, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #18,193 of 22,297
I think at the end of the day, at this level, synergy is most important. Yes there are different price levels, but the best sound will come from the setup that compliments itself, and transcends the sum of its parts...
That's a strong argument for just getting the xiaudio stack and calling it a day.

Oct 24, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #18,194 of 22,297
Well crap, the Okto Dac8 Stereo looks like a pretty good contender as well. With a built in Pi for roon streaming, this might have jumped to the top. Really think I'm going with the PrimaLuna preamp first.

Oct 24, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #18,195 of 22,297
Just a quick question. The tube speaker amp is arriving today and I'd like to use them with the TC/Susvara. I do have the raal/susvara interface boxes coming that should be here in a week or so. Is there major issue in using the headphones directly with the amp without? Again, it's an EVO 400. Just wandering because I know I read that it was more of a potential issue with tube amps vs. solid state. Any help is appreciated :)

So how did this go? I didn't see if there was a followup on this. I've been considering the Evo 400. I was thinking Pre-Amp, but i'm curious if the Evo 400 power amp or integrated amp can handle the TC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back