The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #17,626 of 22,374
It’s a bit OT, but a speakers system requires much more effort to get right.
Room acoustic treatments, speakers and equipment placement. Damping and isolation of gear. More cables mix and match, more components mix and match.
Headphones systems are much more plug n play, choose the headphones you like, match an amplifier and you’re done (not referring to source components as they, more or less, share the same considerations for a headphones/speakers system).

Once you get it right, there’s no comparison IMHO.

BTW, I sit in front of my speakers system with my laptop, work/email/read. Not much different from listening to headphones.
That’s cool. It might be less about a use case and more about convenience, which can, in turn, translate to a comfort zone. I don’t have the space in my study to read, write, etc., while have speakers blast at me, with appropriate distance from the walls or each other. That translates to HP use, and then habituality.

Until recently, I had a pair of very good SF bookshelves in my study. Other than the fact that my room was the bottleneck, the speakers just didn’t command my attention the way a pair of HPs can. And it’s not just these speakers and not just my room.

Even when I hang out at friends’ who are massively invested in the 2-ch world or at dealers’ with treated rooms, I love the ride and realism speakers can provide, but end up returning to HPs.

Not sure if I would use the word “intimate” or “engaging” but HPs give me more of that emotional response.

But yeah speaker component mixing and matching can be more of a thing, and loads of fun.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #17,627 of 22,374
I think we have drifted too far, speakers and headphones both have their place.
Being the devils advocate here, if you cannot make one or the other really perform guess who’s to blame.
Let’s move on, anyone got a Balanced Act to sell ?
Yup, both have their use cases or rather, and IMO, it does come down to individual preference.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #17,629 of 22,374
Lol. I am certain that these guys will still stick to headphones.

I have disinvested from two channel entirely.

For me, I mostly do desk listening and listening combined with other activities like reading or writing or emailing (unless I am doing critical listening for reviews). Speakers just don't work well for that use case.

Last but not least, and controversial argument alert, but I personally find headphones more transparent in a certain way, because they disappear on my head (even if they are heavy like the TC). After a while, I forget they are there.

Regardless of how much speakers disappear in a good room, and how incomparable the imaging and staging are for speakers, I prefer headphones than having to sit infront of speakers.

Others' mileage may vary, of course.
I still prefer my 2-channel set up by a good margin, but from the perspective of trying new gear, HP’s and IEM’s win easy. Moving around something they weighs ounces vs 250lbs will always be more convenient.

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #17,630 of 22,374
Yes, I used a sub with the TC and Susvara, but the effect isn't what I'd call an improvement. With the SR1a, a woofer was practically a game-changer. Their bass is now primarily limited by the quality of the sub.

Appreciate the time that went into this. I agree with pretty much every point. A higher end sub with an EQ would sound better still. I've maintained from the beginning that the TC is the best overall headphone, but with my sub in my room, the SR1a is just more impressive for most genres.
Listening to the SR1a all day. Damn, it is incredibly impressive with the sub. Probably far closer to the TC w.r.t listening pleasure, overall.

Live music is just jaw-droppingly real, vis-à-vis the spectrum of possible headphone experiences.

Sep 16, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #17,631 of 22,374
I still prefer my 2-channel set up by a good margin, but from the perspective of trying new gear, HP’s and IEM’s win easy. Moving around something they weighs ounces vs 250lbs will always be more convenient.
That's cool. Most of my friends also prefer the same.

Sep 16, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #17,633 of 22,374
Listening to the SR1a all day. Damn, it is incredibly impressive with the sub. Probably far closer to the TC w.r.t listening pleasure, overall.

Live music is just jaw-droppingly real, vis-à-vis the spectrum of possible headphone experiences.

This is exactly the feeling I immediately had. Repeatedly having to take off the SR1a to check if speakers were on got annoying fast. In a lot of ways, they were better than speakers despite my general preference for the latter.

Changing gears back to the TC, IMO it's the best complete package of the HPs I've tried. It doesn't need anything to accomplish this (even if it benefits from more midcentric ancillaries and a cable upgrade).

The SR1a can't be considered overall best because of their obvious lack of bass quantity or capability (judged by EQing on more than adequate amps). But damn they sound incomparably good when a well-integrated sub is added for music with real instruments and voices. For synthetic or electronic music, sometimes I prefer the TC still...

Adding the Susvara into the mix, I still keep those for the most natural and relaxing timbre which immediately just sounds "right". Technically speaking, they're a little bit behind both of the above.

Sep 16, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #17,634 of 22,374
The best reason for a headphone setup is that it is less than 10kg/20lb, whereas speaker are plainly a huge headache when moving. Lucky guys here who never have to resettle 🤔.
My HP rig is currently 63lbs (DAC and hp amp), and will be 81lbs next weekend when my word clock arrives. Still, it all weighs less than 1 full sized speaker.

Sep 16, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #17,636 of 22,374

cant speak to a sub, that is more effort than I can give but in terms of realism and accuracy the sr1a is second to none...truly a remarkable product

Sep 17, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #17,637 of 22,374
This is exactly the feeling I immediately had. Repeatedly having to take off the SR1a to check if speakers were on got annoying fast. In a lot of ways, they were better than speakers despite my general preference for the latter.

Changing gears back to the TC, IMO it's the best complete package of the HPs I've tried. It doesn't need anything to accomplish this (even if it benefits from more midcentric ancillaries and a cable upgrade).

The SR1a can't be considered overall best because of their obvious lack of bass quantity or capability (judged by EQing on more than adequate amps). But damn they sound incomparably good when a well-integrated sub is added for music with real instruments and voices. For synthetic or electronic music, sometimes I prefer the TC still...

Adding the Susvara into the mix, I still keep those for the most natural and relaxing timbre which immediately just sounds "right". Technically speaking, they're a little bit behind both of the above.
No, you are right.

Sep 17, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #17,638 of 22,374
I keep seeing posts that say technically the TC is better than the Susvara. I am assuming you mean a more accurate presentation of the music?
To those who own both which one is the more enjoyable?
I am considering both of these HPs at present and its proving a difficult decision :relaxed:

Sep 17, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #17,639 of 22,374
I keep seeing posts that say technically the TC is better than the Susvara. I am assuming you mean a more accurate presentation of the music?
To those who own both which one is the more enjoyable?
I am considering both of these HPs at present and its proving a difficult decision :relaxed:
Disclaimer - I don't own both and I've never even listened to the Susvara.

Between the two threads, your own thread on the topic, and the ancillary equipment threads that reference both, the data is present. If you want to quantify to support your decision, this post has plenty - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...essions-thread.666765/page-1172#post-16558932

The decision is yours to make and it's down to you and your preferences. Neither is wrong. Both have a strong resale market. Analysis paralysis leads you to having neither. You may end up with both at some point.

Sep 17, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #17,640 of 22,374
Disclaimer - I don't own both and I've never even listened to the Susvara.

Between the two threads, your own thread on the topic, and the ancillary equipment threads that reference both, the data is present. If you want to quantify to support your decision, this post has plenty - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...essions-thread.666765/page-1172#post-16558932

The decision is yours to make and it's down to you and your preferences. Neither is wrong. Both have a strong resale market. Analysis paralysis leads you to having neither. You may end up with both at some point.
Yes thanks for this , its a great comparison on that post. I have looked at it quite a bit.
I am edging towards the TC .......only doubt like I say is the comfort. This is quite a big thing for headphone use obviously
I will definitely be getting one of them in the next few months , doubt I will ever own the pair though. Thanks for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back