The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #17,176 of 22,374
Received my pair on Tuesday, ordered from a dealer in Germany who had them in stock and shipped them to me. Wow! Once I played around with adjusting the pads and toe in, incredible! The detail and energy they deliver is off the charts, literally every album sounds like I'm listening to it in a whole new way

I moved up from Aryas, love them and I'll be keeping them to change up the sound once in a while but the TCs are better in every way. Best way I can put it is that they make the Aryas sound polite and reserved. Rock n Roll should sound/feel urgent and in your face, TCs deliver that in spades

If anyone wants to get a feel for how good the slam is, listen to Metallica's Fight Fire with Fire. The change from the acoustic intro to trash guitars is like the blast wave of a nuclear bomb hitting and decimating everything in it's path; the sound is huge!

Yeah - Abyss is THE Rock headphone, IMO. It, of course, does other genres well - but I don't think anything comes remotely close on Rock

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #17,177 of 22,374
Aug 8, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #17,178 of 22,374
Aug 8, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #17,180 of 22,374
+1 for the Dekoni Nuggets.

Aug 8, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #17,181 of 22,374
Joe posted the o-ring specs:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ressions-thread.666765/page-821#post-15908685

You can buy a 100 pack on Amazon for cheap.
Thanks for the link to that post, I hadn't come across that before. I started with a multi-size kit which was helpful to know which size I like which is 213 and 214. Any bigger and after a day I would have too much stretch.

Just ordered these which look mostly identical to the specs posted by Abyss: https://www.amazon.com/213-Buna-N-R...ords=urethane+213+oring&qid=1628476910&sr=8-4

Aug 8, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #17,182 of 22,374
Sting; 10 summoners commandments. Especially enjoyable with the Abyss!

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #17,183 of 22,374
Aug 11, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #17,185 of 22,374
Any opinions on pairing a 35W SET amp (6C33) with either the Abyss or the Susvara phones? I have a pair of Wall M50s just sitting around gathering dust that I used in a set-up with single driver speakers. The Walls sounded great driving Tonian speakers and I thought might be good driving headphones. They are built like brick **ithouses and I thought 35W into 8ohm would translate nicely into a 47 ohm load.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 11, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #17,186 of 22,374
Any opinions on pairing a 35W SET amp (6C33) with either the Abyss or the Susvara phones? I have a pair of Wall M50s just sitting around gathering dust that I used in a set-up with single driver speakers. The Walls sounded great driving Tonian speakers and I thought might be good driving headphones. They are built like brick **ithouses and I thought 35W into 8ohm would translate nicely into a 47 ohm load.

Thanks in advance.
You’ll have to listen for yourself and decide. Power by itself means nothing.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #17,187 of 22,374
Hello.

Can some owners of the orignal 1266 please send me their EQ settings?

I feel like the voices are just a little thin and that can be fixed with EQ.

Thanks!!!
You could try this EQ that @Roasty posted about in June.
Try this. It's pretty good. Another friend of mine is using it and quite likes it too.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-jps-labs-abyss-ab-1266-impressions-thread.666765/post-15513121

Otherwise, I found that first adjusting the pads to the tightest bass, and then moving it them one notch forward to increase the bass slightly (9 and 3 o'clock position for me), and finally angling the frame so there is a bit of rest of the pads on the temples and tilting the headphones so that the headband rests on my head a bit more forward on my head seems to solve the problem of echoey highs and mids quite well.
Edit: Sorry, maybe this isn't helpful as I see now that you are asking about the original 1266 but I suppose you could try it anyways and see if it helps even though I assume these settings are meant for the TC

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #17,188 of 22,374
Thanks for the response. How the hell do you accomplish that? No dealers locally (S. Florida). I'd hate to invest $5k in a phone and then find out it doesn't work with a pair of $12k amps and then have to buy another amp.

Now I remember why I got out of high end HP about 5 years ago and just stuck to speaker based systems. I'm not saying you don't need to be careful about matching speaker amps/speakers, but I've never had a big $ amp/speaker combo that was awful. Some speakers or amps worked out better than others but there was enough research you could do (at least I could) to ensure everything played nicely together. Pairing high-end phones / amp combos seem like hit or miss to me. TOTL headphone only amps are crazy priced compared to the quality you get in a similarly priced speaker amp, WA33 anyone? You can get a Dagostino stereo amp for $8k that is of much higher build quality. :)

Aug 11, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #17,189 of 22,374
I'm not saying you don't need to be careful about matching speaker amps/speakers, but I've never had a big $ amp/speaker combo that was awful.
This is very interesting. I am not into speakers, but I feel like with those your room plays a big role, so perhaps mismatches do not happen as often, as everything is "ruined" by your room acoustics? Honestly asking, as I want to learn more.

Aug 11, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #17,190 of 22,374
This is very interesting. I am not into speakers, but I feel like with those your room plays a big role, so perhaps mismatches do not happen as often, as everything is "ruined" by your room acoustics? Honestly asking, as I want to learn more.
The room does matter. Mine is not so great but I have learned things about acoustics and have invested $$$ in room correction products that make even a meh room sound pretty good. My system is very high end. Would it sound even better in a good room, absolutely but it still kicks ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back