The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #17,116 of 22,405
Aug 2, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #17,117 of 22,405
That explanation does make sense. You will change some characteristics of the headphone by changing amps, but the inherent characteristics of the 1266 will still be there.

With that said, depending on the amp, you can change the tone, soundstage, spacing, and detail, while still maintaining the main attributes of the 1266.
To saysay it more succinctly, with a good amplifier you can make a great sounding headphone even better.

Aug 2, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #17,118 of 22,405
I like your line of thinking, but have found folks online not being 100% on the same page when it comes to "what are those characteristics", if you know what I mean. For example, to me what Abyss does the best (for the price point and my experience level) is resolution. Eeeeveryone is telling me about 1266's bass, but for me (and nobody warned me), 1266's selling point is its resolution. But for me, 1266 compared to others (like Susvara or Valkyria) sound so resolving, in every meaning of the word. Layered bass, detailed mids, expansive soundstage and impressive imaging, all of these feel to me as "good technicalities" of a headphone, where as other things like tonality (V shape, flat neutral), I can fix with a dac/amp combo. Resolution, is what I found ultimately the most important thing for me. I am yet to hear SR1a (which is said to resolve even more, but lack in other areas, so perhaps less balanced or less "fixable" with amps, we will see). I for one, tried Susvara for 2 weeks, really wanted to own it, but in the end, was missing said resolution. Don't take me wrong, it is still very resolving headphone and I know many will disagree with me, saying that mids are actually more resolving on Susvara, but for me, they were not, and I did try multiple amplifiers, to power it sufficiently.
Problem is even when you say resolution it can mean different things. I have the Susvara and I think it’s higher resolution than the abyss. To me resolution is detail - both macro and micro detail. I don’t think the abyss is the best in microdetail. This is not to say it’s bad - but for instance I can’t hear reverb tails as well. To me the soundstage, imaging, bass extension and slam, and tactility of the headphone across the frequency spectrum is what’s incredibly unique. That said, I think we agree and are talking about the same thing!

Aug 2, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #17,119 of 22,405
In fact, mine was not a criticism of Mamal or who spends a lot on this hobby. It was just a reflection about the amplifiers which, in the case of high level sources, should only amplify at this point, otherwise why spend a lot on the source / dac and change their timbre again ..

J Gordon Holt of Stereophile said that while tubes arent always as accurate the “glorify” the sound. So i do t think of it as changing but glorifying. Also, ironically, the wa33 sounds more true to my source when comparing the headphone in on the Dave than any other amp. It’s push pull, so not as much harmonics as a set amp, but that’s one of the reasons I liked it so much.

Aug 2, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #17,120 of 22,405
Aug 2, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #17,121 of 22,405
Also, ironically, the wa33 sounds more true to my source when comparing the headphone in on the Dave than any other amp. It’s push pull, so not as much harmonics as a set amp, but that’s one of the reasons I liked it so much.
How do you find the heat on WA33? Viva was so hot I could not touch the volume knob

Aug 2, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #17,122 of 22,405
How do you find the heat on WA33? Viva was so hot I could not touch the volume knob

It gets hot. I have never tried the Viva, but I’ve heard that can be worse. I can touch the knobs just fine, but not the case after a couple hours of use.

Aug 2, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #17,123 of 22,405
J Gordon Holt of Stereophile said that while tubes arent always as accurate the “glorify” the sound. So i do t think of it as changing but glorifying. Also, ironically, the wa33 sounds more true to my source when comparing the headphone in on the Dave than any other amp. It’s push pull, so not as much harmonics as a set amp, but that’s one of the reasons I liked it so much.
You have certainly found a good balance in your system. I am also convinced that in high-end systems, every little change can make a huge difference. For example, when I was trying various interconnects between DAVE and HPA4 I saw noticeable changes from one metal to another.

Aug 2, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #17,124 of 22,405
You have certainly found a good balance in your system. I am also convinced that in high-end systems, every little change can make a huge difference. For example, when I was trying various interconnects between DAVE and HPA4 I saw noticeable changes from one metal to another.
I would also like to add that it seems to me that some folks are more sensitive to timing differences, where as others to frequency response changes. I for one, did not benefit from M Scaler nor Rossini Clock, yet, I was able to blind ABX copper and silver headphone cables.

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #17,125 of 22,405
I would also like to add that it seems to me that some folks are more sensitive to timing differences, where as others to frequency response changes. I for one, did not benefit from M Scaler nor Rossini Clock, yet, I was able to blind ABX copper and silver headphone cables.

I’m surprised you didn’t like m scaler. I found the difference was most notable with the abyss because it has an easy time of picking up depth cues which the m scaler enhances. Of course, I’m using it with a Dave, so it could be completely different with another dac.

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #17,126 of 22,405
I’m surprised you didn’t like m scaler. I found the difference was most notable with the abyss because it has an easy time of picking up depth cues which the m scaler enhances. Of course, I’m using it with a Dave, so it could be completely different with another dac.
I had M Scaler for 2 week demo, as I wanted to add it to my TT2. I struggled to hear a difference and when I think I finally did, I don't think I liked it. Maybe with Dave, it works better?

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #17,127 of 22,405
I had M Scaler for 2 week demo, as I wanted to add it to my TT2. I struggled to hear a difference and when I think I finally did, I don't think I liked it. Maybe with Dave, it works better?
The difference when added to my TT2 was absolutely noticeable. I’m using Audirvana which may (or, may not…) have something to do with it.

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #17,128 of 22,405

I think it’s more noticeable. It also takes A lot of work to optimize, otherwise it can appear to have some treble glare. But if you want to read about that there is 500 pages on the mscaler thread :)

I also think your Bartok is pretty damn good. So I don’t think you are missing all that much.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #17,129 of 22,405
The difference when added to my TT2 was absolutely noticeable. I’m using Audirvana which may (or, may not…) have something to do with it.
Thanks for sharing. And of course, in no way I am trying to discredit others, actually on contrary - trying more and more gear teaches me that everyone is different and that at this level of performance, individual preferences / tastes matter a lot. Some folks spend 4k on M Scaler device, which on paper does a lot, and some do the same on cables, where as both camps argue their purchase makes more of a difference. I say, try both (if you can) and decide for yourself!

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #17,130 of 22,405
I think it’s more noticeable. It also takes A lot of work to optimize, otherwise it can appear to have some treble glare. But if you want to read about that there is 500 pages on the mscaler thread :)

I also think your Bartok is pretty damn good. So I don’t think you are missing all that much.
Thank you. Yeah, I need one dac/amp combo, a device that can power 1266 to satisfactory quality, that's why it was for me between TT2 and Bartok, not Dave vs Bartok. I do have an external amp, but that's for a different reason. When I tried adding a clock to Bartok, I heard even less difference than M Scaler on TT2 to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back