The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #15,001 of 22,392
In Switzerland there are shops for 2-channel that are willing to work with you, but for high end headphone gear there is really just one store, they are super helpful, but most gear they do not have in stock (like AB-1266) so no way of even testing it at home. Some other things they do have and are willing to help you out, but even then there are limits in what they can do. No way of buying let's say Formula S, having it for a month and then deciding. As far as returns go, that's not very common here (except for one shop that sells electronics, but they don't have high end audio gear) and even there you get hit with 10% restock fee. I have managed to convince some shops when I bought something and wanted to upgrade for something else (more expensive), they worked with me and gave me a decent price (so did not need to sell first). Some equipment you can audition at the dealer, and during Pandemic they were willing to lend you stuff for a week, but again, not as liquid market as in the states or in the uk, what a pity.
Yeh that sucks and is extremely unfair but sounds like it's common in many European countries

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #15,002 of 22,392
More progress! My headphone cable adapters from Sean at Affinity in Singapore arrived today. Now I will be able to use a number of headphone cables I already own (Lazuli reference, Moon Audio Silve Dragon, ZMF 2k copper, Wywires Platinum) when the Abyss 1266 eventually shows up...getting anxious!
3A74CB84-B706-45E8-B3E1-23F887E0B27B.jpeg

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #15,003 of 22,392
Nice. I have a few short adapters but those look even better.

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #15,006 of 22,392

For Abyss 1266 lovers this one is for you. A video made in usa. SilverFi HR4Signature upgrade cables for Abyss 1266😇😇

I watched this a few weeks back :L3000:

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #15,008 of 22,392
How do you feel about it? 🙂
I know the guy. He's in the Facebook headphone groups. He's currently waiting for his 1266tc to be made. $5k on a cable is nuts, he's said he's going to buy one as well lol

Apr 7, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #15,009 of 22,392
Changing the topic a bit here but, listening to the TC almost every waking minute over the past 4~5 days, I've found that I'm going through my old classic rock, blues and pop favorites and I'm really surprised how good it sounds for these mid-60's through early-80's kinds of stuff. Honestly, I wasn't expecting that. I thought the TC would be a little too resolving, hifi, analytical, refined and transparent for these genres and lose some of the grit, bite, raunch, midrange body, richness, and that lo-fi charm and vibe they exude but that has not been the case at all. It's one reason that I had been eyeing the ZMF VC and a matching tube amp to suit those genres better since fans of that rig really seem to be into these genres and have no interest in even hearing what it would sound like for classical, jazz and other nuanced stuff.

But, now, as I listen to the likes of the Beatles, Beach Boys, Van Morrison, Cream, Zeppelin, B.B. King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, the Clash, Tom Petty, the Pretenders and stuff like that from these bygone eras with the TC, I'm finding that they all sound great and still retain that edginess and vibe I mentioned. I adjust the pads a bit from tune to tune and the filter and cross-feed settings on the TT2 a bit but, overall, nothing else really needs to be done. Eventually, I may set up several EQ presets for different genres, artists and recordings but any tweaks would be very slight as everything already sounds so good set flat.

Very, very cool... This has been the most pleasant surprise of using the TC. I expected it to be great for electronic, EDM, hip hop, metal, modern pop, soundtracks and even classical and jazz and they all sound as expected. But, when I started going through all the old stuff, I was amazed by how good and authentic it all sounded. And I'm quite certain that I will be able to make it sound even better as time goes by with more EQ tweaks and other gear in the future. It really seems that the TC will be able to scale musically in any and every single direction that I decide to go.
Yeah, I honestly was expecting to switch between this and my VCs, but I haven't felt the need 4 months in.

I'm revisiting some of my old spotify playlists, and I'm still so glad I walked into Seattle's Vinyl Shop WallOfSound (http://wosound.com/) while he was playing Wand's Golem album. I typically don't like their style of music, but I was jamming my ass off in the store while I picked out a few LPs. The owner noticed I was jamming out and was like "hey dude, I got a bent LP from the distributor, You seem to like em--want it?".

Relistening to the album (Spotify linked) on these is making me jam out again.

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #15,011 of 22,392
Can someone recommend me some powerful tube amps for the Abyss 1266 Phi TC? I haven't heard many. In fact, I only heard one with the Abyss. I was at a headfi meet a few weeks ago. It was a very small meet and only a small few of us showed up, but, someone brought the Linear Tube Audio Z10 integrated amplifier and I actually cried while listening to it on the Abyss, haha. I had that stereotypical moment in front of everyone. That being said, I just want to know other people's experiences with tubes. I guess the thing I really enjoyed about the LTA Z10 that I heard was this sense of startling realism. It felt like I was in the room with the vocalists and the orchestras and it had this sense of realism. I would describe the Abyss as almost having a hyper-realism to its sound. It can sound larger than life and toning it down a notch actually took it from being very detailed and fast on my SS setup that I was using to being more natural, more emotional, and life-like. That being said, when I put my Empyreans on the same amp, they became a bit mushy. I don't expect a tube amp to be able to do it all, though, so I don't mind sacrificing the synergy of my other headphones. I was considering the Auris Nirvana just because it has similar reviews of being realistic and bringing the music to the room with you in a realistic and emotional type of presentation. It's also more convenient with three tubes in it vs the ten inside the Z10 which uses ZOTL tech though, and, the tubes are said to have a very long lifespan on those. Someone recommended me the Cayin HA-300 yesterday but it was the only recommendation I got when I asked this same question elsewhere. I also know that the Audiovalve Solaris can power the Abyss but obviously it's really hard to try some of these things out. I don't want to just impulse buy the Z10 because it was the only tube amplifier I've ever heard with Abyss and I have no doubt that I'd be blown away by other tubes in similar price ranges. My budget is around $5,000 or below. I'm planning on buying either a Bricasti M3 (which I also heard at the headfi meet and fell in love with) or the Holo May. But yes, anyhow, while I was listening to the Z10 amplifier, the gentleman who brought it said that the company praises itself for maintaining a SS level of detail but with tubey goodness. He told me that the tubes weren't super euphonic but weren't super dry either. It was apparently a happy medium between euphonic and dry, somewhere in the middle, and the result was just very musical, life-like, well rounded and realistic while having a ton of emotional and that "there in the room with you" type of sound, if that makes sense. I'm already saving up for the Z10 but just want opinions on whether or not something could give the same realism and such in the price range. I've spoken to one other person who said that the Auris Nirvana could fit the bill, and, it'd be much more convenient for me. The Z10 is quite chunky and would take up more desk space and be inconvenient for other reasons, hence why I'm asking for recommendations.

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #15,015 of 22,392
Woo WA5le was very good with my 1266TC. I’ve moved up to the WA33 now but the WA5LE gets you most of the way and is in your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back