The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 25, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #14,236 of 22,404
I had the 4z and sold it. It has a nice midrange, but it’s definitely “veiled” compared to the TCs. I’ve been curious about the 4 though. I’m assuming it’s similar to the 4z, but I think my headphone amp would work better with the 4.

Feb 25, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #14,238 of 22,404
Oh no, I had that in a few of my pairs. Swap the cable channels and make sure it remains on the left. They will replace them for you. Always in the left channel for me as well. I was hoping the TC wouldn't have that issue as much as the previous versions.
Okay will do. For example, does anything buzz for you at 0:25-0:30 of Adele’s “Skyfall”?

Feb 25, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #14,240 of 22,404
So after some searching it sounds like these would be an ideal endgame headphone for me sound wise, mainly looking at the combo of bass, detail and soundstage which all sound like strengths for the abyss

What's holding me back are the consistent comments about how fit and slight adjustments can have a huge effect on sound, I would much prefer to be able to just put my headphones on my head and relax without constantly thinking about what little adjustments I have to make.

Is this aspect of the headphones understated and if not does anyone have recommendations on what sounds like the 1266 but without this aspect

It took me maybe a two or 3 days to figure out what positioning I like the best and then I just stopped trying different placements. Once you hit on a positioning you like you'll get lost in the music and won't bother with changing it again.

Feb 26, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #14,241 of 22,404
For those of you that enjoy having several TOTL headphones in your collections, I am curious about what causes you to pick up one pair vs another? Is it largely based on the genre of music to which you'd like to listen at the time? Are there other factors? Do you typically swap out multiple times during a single listening session? Do you find that you spend 80% of your time with your favorite pair or is your time more evenly split?

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #14,242 of 22,404
For me it is two factors. Type of music and mood. If I feel like relaxing then the TC may not be my first choice. Maybe something like the Z1R, or the Vocé. It’s not that the TC is bad at anything, just that a different headphone may excel at a particular quality I’m looking for right then.

Feb 26, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #14,244 of 22,404
I didn’t know that. Are you sure?
I’ve only borrowed interconnects, digital cables, and power cables.
Unfortunately, I'm 100% sure because I spoke to Ethan and he told me that they don't loan headphone cable because there are just too many different configurations. You're correct, they do loan all the cables mentioned above as well as headphones, but the last time I spoke to Ethan they weren't loaning out anything due to CV-19 but I'm not sure if that has changed since.

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #14,245 of 22,404
For those of you that enjoy having several TOTL headphones in your collections, I am curious about what causes you to pick up one pair vs another? Is it largely based on the genre of music to which you'd like to listen at the time? Are there other factors? Do you typically swap out multiple times during a single listening session? Do you find that you spend 80% of your time with your favorite pair or is your time more evenly split?

For my situation I have a couple of different set ups. Usually keep the Aeolus & Empyrean with my work rig in the home office. The Abyss & VC typically stay with the main rig. I do not swap between genres or really even during a single listening session. I'll usually pick a pair for a listening session and use them for the duration.

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #14,246 of 22,404
I find that listening to the same equipment every day makes you get numb to whatever makes it special. I try to reach for a variety of headphones to keep appreciating each one's strengths and weaknesses. Same goes with the electronics. On a day-to-day basis, what influences what I reach for will be my mood and what music I'm about to listen to.

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #14,247 of 22,404
I find that listening to the same equipment every day makes you get numb to whatever makes it special. I try to reach for a variety of headphones to keep appreciating each one's strengths and weaknesses. Same goes with the electronics. On a day-to-day basis, what influences what I reach for will be my mood and what music I'm about to listen to.
@ra990 this is an awesome insight. The differences in experiences allow for a more tangible appreciation of what makes each HP, amp, DAC or cable different. Thank you!!!

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #14,249 of 22,404
Not for me. I settled on my equipment because I like the sound. I wouldn’t have two sets of speakers in my listening room
I agree with you regarding speakers in your listening room. My listening room is small, I have limited options and challenging acoustics. I like the sound of my equipment and any changes are cumbersome to make. For me, headphones provide a different opportunity. They are (relatively) small and not really subject to room acoustics. These attributes mean that one can quickly swap out the equivalent of an entire room and speakers without much effort.

Different perspectives make this forum interesting. Thanks for your point of view.

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #14,250 of 22,404
For me it is two factors. Type of music and mood. If I feel like relaxing then the TC may not be my first choice. Maybe something like the Z1R, or the Vocé. It’s not that the TC is bad at anything, just that a different headphone may excel at a particular quality I’m looking for right then.
I second the Z1R for just getting lost. My absolute favorite can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back