The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #13,531 of 22,391
Well, this was awesome to see (inside the TC). I think I can see how the crinkling around the edge is insignificant to the sound because that is the adhered area where sound is not allowed to emanate. Crinkling in the open area is the only place it would be concerning and this one looks toight....toight like a tiger. :dt880smile:

Now, out of complete fairness and unbiased review, that Susvara sitting right behind the TC also needs to be opened up and photographed. :wink:

EDIT: Actually that might be one of the HE-1000 variants. Still, I'd like to see the Susvara design most of all.
+1
Me too want to see Susvara inside

Jan 22, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #13,532 of 22,391
lol the subreddit is blowing up.
That's a TC driver. Looks normal. What's the issue?
The black area underneath is aluminum, the diaphragm material is adhered to it in that area.

I should mention that inspecting the 1266 from the baffle side is something we don't even do. The odds of damaging the driver is quite high even with proper tooling and experience. It's VERY thin material, and the magnet has a strong affinity for anything steel. Seeing a Husky screwdriver nearby, you have to be stupid lucky not to ruin the driver. The torque on the baffle screws will be incorrect and uneven on that channel.
If I recall right, it says on the user manual that the torque on the baffle screws are set to a specific value as to make the headphone sound right. Can you explain how that works? Like if you tighten the screws a few degrees more the headphone will actually sound different?

Jan 22, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #13,535 of 22,391
That's 'driver flex' caused by a change in seal. Some IEMs exhibit this behavior as well.
And, for fun, with STAX, this is affectionately known as the "STAX fart."

No no it's the STAX bass that is called STAX fart :scream:

Jan 22, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #13,536 of 22,391
Screw torque sets the amount of compression on the gasket material, so affects coupling of the speaker driver baffle to the frame and ultimately it's resonant character. Varying the torque settings is noticeable (as are changes in gasket materials). It's a highly tweaked out assembly, and screw torque is a fine tune on it.

Loudspeakers act the same way, varying gasket materials and torque of the mounting screws on a tweeter or bass/mid tends to have audible affects.

If I recall right, it says on the user manual that the torque on the baffle screws are set to a specific value as to make the headphone sound right. Can you explain how that works? Like if you tighten the screws a few degrees more the headphone will actually sound different?

ABYSS_SMILEY_1266.png
Joe, you better lock the doors. Next I see a storming of the Abyss factory, and possibly an insurrection.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Jan 22, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #13,537 of 22,391
lol the subreddit is blowing up.

I wonder why that poster deleted his thread.

Jan 22, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #13,538 of 22,391
Jan 22, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #13,539 of 22,391
+1
Me too want to see Susvara inside
I'm not willing to completely disassemble it, but here's a look at my Susvara driver below the pads...I was doing a pad swap so snapped a pic
20210122_145219.jpg

EDIT - also happy to report I have another TC on the way and will be able to do a side-by-side comparison of the Susvara and TC, running out of the TT2 balanced and also out of the Pass Labs XA25 power amp.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #13,540 of 22,391
Any tt2 owners tried 1266 direct from the TT2 SE? Big discussion in TT2 thread about abyss and tt2 and whether its good enough to power them.

Jan 22, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #13,541 of 22,391
Any tt2 owners tried 1266 direct from the TT2 SE? Big discussion in TT2 thread about abyss and tt2 and whether its good enough to power them.
I did try my best to compare SE out and balanced out with the 1266/phi/TC (I've had all three). I found the balanced XLR outs from the TT2 were ideal. Plenty of power, transparency, impact, I was happy with that. The single ended outs sounded a bit thinner to me, but I honestly didn't precisely volume match, nor did I use the same cable between the two connections. I liked where I was with the volume control when using balanced outs. I was too much over 0 volume with single ended outs. Same story with the Susvara right now, I'm amazed at how well the TT2 drives them from the balanced outs.

Jan 22, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #13,542 of 22,391
Yes, that's how I and many others run them. I typically listen with high gain at -13 using SE. If I'm feeling especially motivated, -5.

With that said, I purchased a XLR adapter cable and tried it this afternoon, volume matched, for about three minutes and took it out due to no clear positive impact and some subjective negative impact.

Others may disagree with my normal volume levels and my perceived lack of value in using the XLR out. It's easy enough for one test on their own and draw their own conclusions.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #13,543 of 22,391
I used to have the TT2. The SE does not power the TCs adequately. I know this because after getting my more powerful separate headphone amp, the bass was much better than straight out of the TT2 SE.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #13,544 of 22,391
I used to have the TT2. The SE does not power the TCs adequately. I know this because after getting my more powerful separate headphone amp, the bass was much better than straight out of the TT2 SE.
Why didn't you try the balanced outs? It added weight to the low end.

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #13,545 of 22,391
The balanced out does add weight and heft to the bottom end, at a slight loss of transparency, but less of a loss in comparison to an external amp(in my case a LP/I'm sure plenty of other amps are transparent enough)
I too think (after rough volume match and a few hours of swapping, that the SE from tt2 is plenty to drive them well if you rather keep the transparency.
Rob Watts also said that SE is capable enough for the Abyss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back