The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #12,046 of 22,406
Why don't you send that email to Chord and see what they say? :) Seriously, they will tell you that the TT2 can drive the TC, no problem.

In my opinion (pls remember: my opinion:)) the TC can be driven quite well by the TT2 on its own. Not saying that a separate amp won't make it better (I have the Formula S), but I could quite easily have settled for the TT2 by itself, and the small footprint can be a big plus for some people. Same now with the Dave, I can really enjoy the TC straight out of the Dave SE output. I think we are talking about comparatively small levels of improvement at this already very high level of sound quality.

How big / small is the difference between Chord Dave + Abyss and Chord Dave + external amp + Abyss?

If the difference is quite substantial, then I will wait and see if Abyss will release a new version that work straight out of Chord Dave without much problems.

Normally I would do these tests myself but I don't know anyone who has an Abyss :p

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #12,048 of 22,406
Did you turn your gain up to 3 ? I found the treble a bit to strong and peacky and im coming from a beyerdynamic dt 1990 with a thx 789.
I never heard my tc with a proper high end amp so maybe i dont know what im missing.

I tried, it just doesn't sound good on THX amps. I tried it on a Monolith THX Dac/Amp too. I might have to upgrade my amp to bring out its potential

Sep 11, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #12,050 of 22,406
How big / small is the difference between Chord Dave + Abyss and Chord Dave + external amp + Abyss?

If the difference is quite substantial, then I will wait and see if Abyss will release a new version that work straight out of Chord Dave without much problems.

Normally I would do these tests myself but I don't know anyone who has an Abyss :p
That could be a long wait... :) Or you buy the Diana Phi, which is built around the same driver. Personally, if I already had a Dave I would buy the Abyss. You will already enjoy it with the Dave alone. And then you can always upgrade later, if you choose.

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #12,052 of 22,406
why would Abyss sell two different things for the same function? I heard dual balanced xlr is twice as powerful but it needs more power output but I could be wrong
I’m assuming you are talking about dual 3 pin XLR vs single 4 pin XLR correct and strictly for headphones? Some amps output more power on their balanced out vs unbalanced out but that is mostly due to design rather than anything else. There is a lot of debate on wether balanced > to unbalanced (for example Chord along with other manufacturers seem to favor unbalanced). As far as balanced dual XLR vs 4 pin XLR, to my knowledge it is the same thing unless the amp treats those outputs differently (is there a case?). That being said, I personally do prefer the design of XLR connection vs standard plug because it feels more robust + eliminates any risk of shorting the circuit if unplugging during playback (most headphone amps should have protection).

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #12,053 of 22,406
why would Abyss sell two different things for the same function? I heard dual balanced xlr is twice as powerful but it needs more power output but I could be wrong
And to my knowledge only 2 of the 3 pins in the dual 3 pin XLR setup are used, so for our purposes it doesn’t really matter if you send them through dual cables or through a single 4 pin cable.

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #12,054 of 22,406
As far as ABYSS superconductor cables, I guess some people like having the two cables meet at the 4 pin connector and some people like having two completely separate cables for their headphones, more of a preference I suppose.

Sep 12, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #12,056 of 22,406
I thought no Y-split cable was strange at first but now I kind of prefer the ergonomics of it.
Yes, there is a certain freedom of movement to having the cable configured in this manner.

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #12,057 of 22,406

Hi,

I picked up the Abyss Phi when I had the Dave, I did not have an external amp. At the time I was using the HE1000, which replaced my Utopia previous to that. I was running the Abyss Phi with CC pads direct off the Dave. After a week I put the HE1000 up for sale as I much preferred the Abyss over them. The Abyss felt like the first time I had actually experienced ledgit bass in a headphone, I thought I had with my previous cans but the Abyss was something different. Also more visceral, transparent, and with a bigger soundstage. So to answer your question, yes the Abyss Phi sounds great direct from DAVE. The TC is a % harder to drive so can't make a comment re the TC direct from DAVE.

After a little while I bought the Superconductor cable (a big upgrade in my opinion), using direct from DAVE. A more organic less metallic sound.

A little while after that I picked up a Formula S. The Formula S is a worthwhile improvement to DAVE direct with a noticably bigger stage, more ease, and less fatiguing (not that DAVE direct is particularly fatiguing.

Just yesterday I added the Powerman to the Formula S (I wish I did that 6 months ago!!!).

I also picked up the TC yesterday.

As a side note I no longer have the DAVE and am using a Rockna Wavedream.

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #12,058 of 22,406
I just picked up a new TC yesterday. Compared to my Abyss Phi with CC pads there is more detail but out of the box (I have probably 5 hours on it) the soundstage is noticeably smaller. Anyone else notice this?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back