The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #12,001 of 22,406
Abyss founders do like listen to metal?
I'm finding the TC's to be outstanding with all metal genres. The speed and attack of the TC's fully renders guitars, vocals and instruments in life like detail. Imaging and soundstage are also outstanding!

Sep 5, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #12,003 of 22,406
I don't know TC but my Phi destroys all my other headphones :gs1000smile:
The experience should be similar with metal. The Phi TC's are more resolving and the midrange is better than the Phi CC's.

Sep 5, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #12,004 of 22,406
I think the new headband is a significant comfort improvement, definitely exceeded my expectations. Would highly recommend getting it.

I totally agree. It also lifts up the headphone a bit, which is the better position for me. And it looks much better too (including the logo) :L3000:

Very glad to hear about this, as my O-ring just snapped :sweat:

I have already placed an order for the new headband, and, although I had no comfort issues before, an improvement in that respect and in the sitting height of the earpads (they were slightly too low also for my skull) will make it easier to swallow the 249Euro outlay.

Now, while preparing for the long wait (the Abyss.eu website stated the shipping is planned for September 30th), I am using a very ugly temporary fix :confounded:, which is working well enough to making me able to enjoy musical and recording masterworks as this:

debussy.png

By the way, my pads gluing fell apart a couple of month ago as well, being obviously poorly glued from the beginning (the replacement set looks more properly glued, fingers crossed). It seems that some design and/or manufacturing / quality control issues need to be addressed by Abyss, and I respect the fact they have acknowledged this and listened to customer feedback about the fit and comfort by improving the headband.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #12,005 of 22,406

I have already placed an order for the new headband, and, although I had no comfort issues before, an improvement in that respect and in the sitting height of the earpads (they were slightly too low also for my skull) will make it easier to swallow the 249Euro outlay.

Now, while preparing for the long wait (the Abyss.eu website stated the shipping is planned for September 30th), I am using a very ugly temporary fix :confounded:, which is working well enough to making me able to enjoy musical and recording masterworks as this:

By the way, my pads gluing fell apart a couple of month ago as well, being obviously poorly glued from the beginning (the replacement set looks more properly glued, fingers crossed). It seems that some design and/or manufacturing / quality control issues need to be addressed by Abyss, and I respect the fact they have acknowledged this and listened to customer feedback about the fit and comfort by improving the headband.
250 Euro? Maybe you should buy one of these hi-tech headband instead:

https://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Headbands/s?k=Crazy+Headbands

or this mod:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-jps-labs-abyss-ab-1266-impressions-thread.666765/page-396

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #12,006 of 22,406

debussy.png

I had the pad glue problem as well. I think the trick is to avoid grabbing the pad itself while pulling it on and off, and instead to grab the supporting ring to which the pad is glued. The magnets are strong and as a result there can be a strong pull between the pad and support ring.

Sep 8, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #12,007 of 22,406
I tried a set with the new pads. The pressure on the top of my head is more evenly distributed. The headphone also sites slightly higher on my head. I will get a the new pad once they are available at the shop.

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #12,008 of 22,406
Hey guys. Recently I got a can of Abyss recent mode 1266 TC. It doesn't sound very good on THX 789. The mids and trebles come off pretty weak and the bass sounds sort of muffled, doesn't slam as much as I expected to be. Is this the amp's fault? I'm connecting it to Schiit Bifrost and THX 789

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #12,009 of 22,406
I'm running my TC's off a WA33 so totally different amp, but this doesn't sound like a TC should. How is the fit? Should just be touching around the ears, not sealed. However, if there is too much space between pads and ear, the bass will get boomy. Lose detail and sound muffled.

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #12,010 of 22,406
Hey guys. Recently I got a can of Abyss recent mode 1266 TC. It doesn't sound very good on THX 789. The mids and trebles come off pretty weak and the bass sounds sort of muffled, doesn't slam as much as I expected to be. Is this the amp's fault? I'm connecting it to Schiit Bifrost and THX 789
I bet it is the fit...perhaps the pads are too far or too close from the ears

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #12,011 of 22,406
I got the version with dual xlr cable with a single xlr converter. I listened to it first time today. It just doesn't strike me as very detailed when it comes to the sound. My other headphones are HD800s. Final D8000 Pro and Emprean, they all run smoothly on THX 789 amp. The fit is tight, I'm suppose to leave some space between pads and ear?

Sep 9, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #12,014 of 22,406
I also used the 789 initially because I could not afford both the TC and an expensive amp at the same time. I thought the THX did a pretty good job, considering its modest price tag.

There are two good videos on the Abyss youtube channel on how to fit the TC. I also posted the links to those a few pages back.

Sep 9, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #12,015 of 22,406
Make sure the pads aren't coupled too tightly to your head. I actually think a better base-line is to start your right pad seam at around 3 o'clock and then work up to 2,1 etc.

As well, as MatW pointed out, check out the Abyss Youtube channel on fitment. It's rather crucial to understanding the characteristic changes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back