The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 22, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #11,506 of 22,406
Good to hear đź‘Ť

If there are any classical musical listeners out there who own or have heard both the TC version and the HD800, would love to hear a comparison with symphony orchestras in mind (if that is not off topic here). Or PM me.

I was watching the Abyss channel with Joe Skubinski and his sons. While I have enjoyed their conversations, I get the impression (and correct me if I'm wrong) that they do not have classical music in mind when they develop their headphones. In contrast, the way I have heard it described, the original HD800 seems to be designed specifically for classical. Currawong says that’s why a lot of listeners have a problem with it. About the 6.3 kHz peak, he says that ”with acoustic music it’s absolutely lovely. You get a sense of space, of detail with the instruments.” But switching to other kinds of music, like the Cowboy Junkies, he ran into problems. He says that is why Sennheiser developed the somewhat overly damped (his description) HD800S, I suppose trying to cater to more of a mass audience. It sounds like the original HD800 is somewhat of a special headphone for those of us who mostly listen to classical. I think having owned the HD650, which some people recommended to me for classical, biased me against the 800, since I did not end up thinking that the 650 were good for classical at all. What they did best in my opinion were vocals. But the more I research headphones, the more I think the 800 is the real deal. The problem is, I don't like to buy used headphones and the original 800 is out of production, which is why I’m still looking beyond the 800 to stuff from Stax, Abyss, and others. My HE560 actually do quite well with classical but I have had them for a few years now and like to have a second pair on hand. The 95X didn't handle classical that badly either, but the pair I got from Drop suffered from too many issues.

Anyhow, I would still love to hear impressions of the TC specifically from classical music lovers.

Hello Brahmsian, I mostly listen jazz and classic music, lately I have been listening to a lot of chamber and orchestral music. I’d say the TC is great for all these genres and particularly for orchestral music. It is very detailed, it has a wide and deep soundstage, a neutral sound profile which is important to reproduce acoustic instruments and, importantly, it has the “slam/weight” to convey the feeling or orchestral sections in action. However it needs to be well amplified. I used it for some months amplified with a Dave and it is pretty good in general but severely lacking for music with high dynamic range.
Since I moved to my current set up (see the first posts in the thread about Riviera AIC-10) I practically only listen to classic music also because it is reproduced in such an engaging, lively way.
In this thread you will find many suggestions at all price points to amplify well the TC.
I also have an Utopia which is very good for classic thanks to the great instrument separation but cannot really compete with the TC for symphonic music.

Regarding the HD800(S) (I tried both versions), I didn't do a direct comparison with the TC but heard it a few times in the past. It needs to be well amplified as well to deliver. Out of a Hugo2 it was not particularly impressive (except soundstage width), much better with a small but more powerful tube amp.
It is an excellent headphones but I'd say the TC is better in many ways and probably similar only in terms of soundstage width. For me the key advantage of the TC is the feeling of impact, body conveyed which is missing from the Senn. Also the Senn places you a bit further away from the scene, the TC more in the middle of it, maybe less realistic but it contributes to a more visceral listening experience.
I hope it helps

Jul 22, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #11,510 of 22,406
Found adapters for Hifiman 3.5 mm plug to Abyss mini 3-pin XLR on Amazon!
This is AKG K702/Q701/K7xx adapter, but the pinouts work out perfectly because pin 2 is not connected on the Abyss side.
Build and sound quality are excellent, with the only caveat that with my highly slippery Eidolic 3.5 mm plug, weight of the cable can make the plug slip out slightly with headbanging. I may use a piece of packing tape.
Norne Silvergarde S3 cable on the Abyss via my 300B amp sounds glorious, both more revealing yet smoother than stock JPS cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CTTH00C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

0719201323 by drjlo2, on Flickr

I wonder... Could I use two AKG cables for output from my TA-ZH1ES's dual-3.5mm balanced outputs?

Jul 22, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #11,511 of 22,406
I have placed a purchase order to buy some RAAL SR1a's but after readings lots of reviews and readings lots of threads on this forum, now wondering if I should be buying some AB-1266 TC's instead !

Jul 22, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #11,512 of 22,406
I have placed a purchase order to buy some RAAL SR1a's but after readings lots of reviews and readings lots of threads on this forum, now wondering if I should be buying some AB-1266 TC's instead !

The RAAL works off speaker outputs only, correct? Certainly has to be a consideration. What are you planning on using for amplification with your headphones? Standard headphone amplifiers, that work with the Abyss will not work with the RAAL, from my understanding.

Jul 22, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #11,513 of 22,406
Buy both.

This is Head-Fi.

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #11,514 of 22,406
The RAAL works off speaker outputs only, correct? Certainly has to be a consideration. What are you planning on using for amplification with your headphones? Standard headphone amplifiers, that work with the Abyss will not work with the RAAL, from my understanding.
Hi Randy Myers, For the RAAL's I will be using my Chord Electronics Choral UK speaker system which has a Blu MK1 CD Transporter linked to either my QBD76 DAC or my Hugo2 (with twin BNC to give 176kHz sampling rate) linked to my Prima Pre-amp to my Chord Mezzo 140 Power Amp which gives 120W RMS at 8 Ohms and 160W RMS at 4 Ohms. If this isn't enough power then I can buy another second hand Mezzo 140 and use them together as Power Bridged Mono's to give 240W RMS per channel into 8 ohms and 320W RMS per channel into 4 ohms.
If I buy the AB-1266 TC's I would need to buy a decent headphone amp as I don't currently have one.
At the moment I am using my Grado 3000e's linked to my Hugo 2 which sound very good. I was going to buy a Chord Dave for them but accidently came across the RAAL's which then led me to the AB-1266 TC's.

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #11,515 of 22,406
Buy both.

This is Head-Fi.
Hi paradoxper, Yes that's what a few people have said as I read they are complementary to each other. But it will be a huge financial outlay for me !

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #11,516 of 22,406
Hi paradoxper, Yes that's what a few people have said as I read they are complementary to each other. But it will be a huge financial outlay for me !
If you must consider the financial burden, then I would heavily consider a used SR1a. The simple fact is their market value has depreciated a fair amount. A consequence of hyperbole FOTM.

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #11,517 of 22,406
If you must consider the financial burden, then I would heavily consider a used SR1a. The simple fact is their market value has depreciated a fair amount. A consequence of hyperbole FOTM.
Yes I was thinking that but haven't seen any 2nd hand SR1a's in Europe or the UK and buying from US, by the time I pay for reasonably fast postage, UK VAT and customs duties it's getting closer to the price in Europe. It's interesting that there are no UK Headphone or HiFi Dealers in the UK that sell them and only a small number in mainland central Europe.
I hope they don't sound like the HD800's and the HD800S's I have owned as I found these two thin a sound and too treble hot and found the sound stage artificial !
I think what I need to do is fly out to mainland Europe where I have placed my order (they are not due till mid August due to COVID19 and issues at the RAAL factory) and do a days worth of demoing with the AB-1266 TC's (which they also sell) connected to a Chord Dave and Blu MK2 (which they also sell) as well as the new RAAL headphone amp.

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #11,518 of 22,406
Yes I was thinking that but haven't seen any 2nd hand SR1a's in Europe or the UK and buying from US, by the time I pay for reasonably fast postage, UK VAT and customs duties it's getting closer to the price in Europe. It's interesting that there are no UK Headphone or HiFi Dealers in the UK that sell them and only a small number in mainland central Europe.
I hope they don't sound like the HD800's and the HD800S's I have owned as I found these two thin a sound and too treble hot and found the sound stage artificial !
I think what I need to do is fly out to mainland Europe where I have placed my order (they are not due till mid August due to COVID19 and issues at the RAAL factory) and do a days worth of demoing with the AB-1266 TC's (which they also sell) connected to a Chord Dave and Blu MK2 (which they also sell) as well as the new RAAL headphone amp.
That's likely the appropriate and smart approach. While the SR1a can do some things better than any other headphone on the planet, they're not without their own omissions.
This, as well, can be gleamed by how many decide to sell them and move on. They're a bit of a "couple-of-trick-pony" with a decidedly different sound from conventional headphones. Let your ears be the judge.

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #11,519 of 22,406
That's likely the appropriate and smart approach. While the SR1a can do some things better than any other headphone on the planet, they're not without their own omissions.
This, as well, can be gleamed by how many decide to sell them and move on. They're a bit of a "couple-of-trick-pony" with a decidedly different sound from conventional headphones. Let your ears be the judge.
Thank you for your feedback paradoxper. Much appreciated.
I often read your very interesting threads back in the 2016 days when the BHSE and Stax 009's were the ultimate headfi back then of which I went and bought this set up and used it for a couple of years.

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #11,520 of 22,406
I own both and the resale of the raal has not declined any more than the value of the TC has and will....in fact at 4K for the combination of the raal and the schiit jotr for 4K I think in this crazy time it is a bargain because it is fantastic as well as very different...highly recommended

Users who are viewing this thread

Back