The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 4, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #11,314 of 22,374
They are known to be bright sounding. Thats why quite a few people pair them with the Lazuli Reference headphone cable.
I had the Lazuli Reference and sold it not too long after due to preferring the WireWorld Nano-Platinum Eclipse w/Utopia. The Utopia is a microscope into your upstream gear, so if your gear is on the bright side, the Utopia will definitely let you know it.

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #11,315 of 22,374
I don't know about top notch. Sure, they are aluminum and built like a tank, and uniquely adjustable on the X and Z planes. But they're super heavy, and there is no way to adjust the headstrap up or down, which in my mind is a huge oversight. It's literally one size fits all. Hence, the numerous tweaks and workarounds owners have gone through to compensate. Do you see Utopia owners rigging their frames with zip ties and the like? And that O ring discussion... but I won't start that again (but a legitimate argument, IMO).

They sound phenomenal. But beyond sonics, I think they can still do with a few frame design considerations.

The materials used and the fit / finish and quality is truly top notch and I own both the Utopia and Stellia. I find them quite comfortable and after a few hours about the same in terms of comfort. Now sound quality....they are simply one of the very best I've ever heard and I prefer them to both Focals. As I mentioned, I recommend you check out the Abyss website for the design considerations that went into them, it's pretty interesting. I have a fairly large head, and they work with mine, but also on my 12 year old son too...so that's a pretty wide range. Do you have an engineering background? I do (graduate level) and Joe and team really put a great amount of thought into them and I suggest you read up on it. Maybe Joe can chime in here?

Plus they are a tank! I bet you I could not drive a truck over my Utopia and have them survive. :wink:

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #11,316 of 22,374
The materials used and the fit / finish and quality is truly top notch and I own both the Utopia and Stellia. I find them quite comfortable and after a few hours about the same in terms of comfort. Now sound quality....they are simply one of the very best I've ever heard and I prefer them to both Focals. As I mentioned, I recommend you check out the Abyss website for the design considerations that went into them, it's pretty interesting. I have a fairly large head, and they work with mine, but also on my 12 year old son too...so that's a pretty wide range. Do you have an engineering background? I do (graduate level) and Joe and team really put a great amount of thought into them and I suggest you read up on it. Maybe Joe can chime in here?

Plus they are a tank! I bet you I could not drive a truck over my Utopia and have them survive. :wink:
Yeah I was actually going to echo/re-echo/emphasize the design built for maximized sound quality, but was lazy to engage into a potentially heated debate. You are the better head-fier than me.

Joe and team put their focus on maximizing sound and even explain a little of their thought process into choosing materials, build, etc.

Abyss team also does not strike me as a team who would do any sort of balancing act between sound/design, seems like they are enthusiasts themselves and care mostly/only for SOUND.

Quite the SOUND decision if you ask me! (couldn't help myself)

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #11,317 of 22,374
The relentless is huge. I saw them last year at axpona with a pair of wilson wamms. D'Agostino makes great amps.
just a peanut.
I doubt they will change the design any time soon bud.

I do not think hiring a ID team is any where near the top of their priority and if they already mentioned design was made for sonic purposes, they will likely stick to that. They are also a family ran business that seems to prefer to keep headcount low. When I mention family, yes I would think they consider their video editor guy family as well despite not by blood. They all have good chemistry together and it shows in the videos.

Are you from Oakland California? I grew up in the Bay Area and now reside in NY.
palo alto... and canadian. ; )

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #11,318 of 22,374
Damn Palo Alto the land of the wealthy, I grew up in San Jose/Fremont area, suburbs.

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #11,321 of 22,374
The materials used and the fit / finish and quality is truly top notch and I own both the Utopia and Stellia.
Again, I was using the Utopia frame as an example only. Sorry that's getting people off track. My comment was pointing out that I don't know of other high end frames whose owners have gone through the lengths Abyss owners have to achieve and/or compensate for, a proper fit. After working at it, I've also gotten a good fit, but I had to get creative.

Now sound quality....they are simply one of the very best I've ever heard and I prefer them to both Focals
As I also said, I think the SQ is phenomenal. I don't have any issue with it, only the frame in some respects. Heavy, no adjustment of the headband, mainly. I do however find them surprisingly comfortable, even after hours of wearing. But my neck will be feeling it the next day...

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #11,322 of 22,374
Do you have an engineering background? I do (graduate level) and Joe and team really put a great amount of thought into them and I suggest you read up on it.

Reason for the snark? Do I need an "engineering background" to have an opinion on fit?

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #11,323 of 22,374
SCTV FTW!

Oh yeah!!! Now you're talking! Happy Belated Canada Day:
SCTV FTW!

Most definitely! Happy belated Canada Day:

comic-bob-and-doug-1024x683.jpg

And Happy 4th of July to my American friends. :)

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #11,324 of 22,374
Reason for the snark? Do I need an "engineering background" to have an opinion on fit?

There is absolutely no snark intended...most of these things us engineers can really appreciate that most folks don't. It actually goes beyond the "fit" as you mentioned. It has to do with minimizing vibrations and distortion to offer a cleaner sound and having the ear cups sit the proper way that traditional headbands just can't achieve...thus their design choices. This kind of stuff always piques my interest, but I'm a nerd. That was my point and I did not intend it to offend in anyway. :)

Great video that explains why we are "different":

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #11,325 of 22,374
Again, I was using the Utopia frame as an example only. Sorry that's getting people off track. My comment was pointing out that I don't know of other high end frames whose owners have gone through the lengths Abyss owners have to achieve and/or compensate for, a proper fit. After working at it, I've also gotten a good fit, but I had to get creative.

As I also said, I think the SQ is phenomenal. I don't have any issue with it, only the frame in some respects. Heavy, no adjustment of the headband, mainly. I do however find them surprisingly comfortable, even after hours of wearing. But my neck will be feeling it the next day...

As mentioned, please look at their YouTube channel, the frame has more to do with sound quality and not fit. FWIW, I've never had an issue with heavier headphones and sorry, I can't relate to when folks have mentioned this to me.

EDIT: I found one of the videos, some good explanations for the design choices:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back