The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #11,087 of 22,392
Have about 10 hours so far on my brand new TC and have buzzing of left driver (only left, right is fine) on certain bass frequencies. Shows up in electronic/rap, songs like Fantasy by the xx at the 1:20 mark. Here's a video where you can hear the buzzing pretty clearly:

It's more pronounced if the left cup is farther away from my ear, but still there if it's close. I'm working with Joe on this right now and his recommendation was to continue the burn-in but wanted to see if anyone had seen (well, heard) anything like this before.

Hey i have the same issues. Left on mine too. Havent contacted abyss yet. I had meant to contact them then covid happened. Ive had the buzzing on some tracks and thought it was the track at first but it seemes to resonate at a specific frequency in bass heavy songs.

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #11,088 of 22,392
Hey i have the same issues. Left on mine too. Havent contacted abyss yet. I had meant to contact them then covid happened. Ive had the buzzing on some tracks and thought it was the track at first but it seemes to resonate at a specific frequency in bass heavy songs.

Have you tried adjusting and repositioning and see if it goes away? If the headphone is too loose on your head this can happen too on certain songs.

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #11,089 of 22,392
Im not too worried as im sure abyss will fix the issue for me. Its not like i bought $50 bose cans. Maybe ill shoot them an email and update on how it goes. Anyways. When i move back to the states(where i keep the ab1266) im planning to upgrade my amp. Currently using audio gd master 9. Budget of 6k. Reading posts here, contenders are sim
Audio 600i, bakoon amp13r, wa5, and formula s. I know they would all be good choices but has anyone heard two or more of these?

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #11,090 of 22,392
Have you tried adjusting and repositioning and see if it goes away? If the headphone is too loose on your head this can happen too on certain songs.
I dont currently have them with me to fiddle around with but i do remember pushing the cups in towards my ears to check. Still had buzzing. The buzzing is quiet unlike bass distortion when taking headphones off while playong music. It is very annoying when it does happen tho. Pulls you out of the music.

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #11,091 of 22,392
I dont currently have them with me to fiddle around with but i do remember pushing the cups in towards my ears to check. Still had buzzing. The buzzing is quiet unlike bass distortion when taking headphones off while playong music. It is very annoying when it does happen tho. Pulls you out of the music.

I had straight up driver buzzing even after breaking in at low volumes for close to 50 hours. Was bugging me on certain tracks and was able to pin it down by playing test tones in the 100-200hz range. This was not bass distortion this was a physical buzzing inside the left earcup. Happened with or without the pad on

Here’s a sample of what it sounded like:

I had just purchased them so they ended up swapping me out. New pair is perfect.

Jun 16, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #11,093 of 22,392
Oh mine doesnt buzz like that. Mine sounds like something inside the left cup, im guessing the film, is resonating to a certain frequncy. Kinda like when you blow on a peice of paper just the right way it buzzes.

Thats exactly how I would describe what mine was doing. The frequency would slightly change depending on the test tone. My guess was a loose screw somewhere causing the membrane to vibrate incorrectly or against something. I’ll never know for sure unless Joe updates me with what he found.

Have you tried a 100Hz or 200z test tone?

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #11,095 of 22,392
It's most always the left earcup too. I went through a few pairs with this issue before I got a good one. Still curious what it was, especially because you see it pop up every few pages. Distortion/buzzing in the left ear cup at certain mid-to-high frequencies.

Jun 17, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #11,098 of 22,392
For those of you who have the DAVE in the chain, do you guys prefer crossfeed 0,1,2, or 3 with the 1266TC?

Hello, my vote is for CF=3 (maximum intensity). I was skeptical about it initially, and used CF=0 or CF=1 in order to preserve maximum signal integrity, then I have become addicted to CF and actually cannot listen anymore without it, unless it is a binaural recording.

The benefits are, to my ears, a much more naturalistic layout of the soundscape with especially a notably better sense of depth and cohesion between musicians.
Also, the sound is slightly warmer.

Downside are a slight loss in transparency and - as mentioned above - a light coloration towards the midbass / bass region.

To me the pros overweigh the cons by far.

As a side note, if you drive both headphones and loudspeakers with the DAVE, make sure to revert to CF=0 when using loudspeakers, otherwise the soundstage becomes a mess :confounded:

Hi guys I'm looking at these. Hows the bass on them?

Simply the best I have heard on a headphone. Fast, impactful, satisfyingly voluptuous yet still articulate and well defined. No bleed into other frequency ranges.

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #11,099 of 22,392
Apparently in the assembly process there was a lead wire out of place. Sh-t happens... Was an easy fix, sorry for the trouble.

Thats exactly how I would describe what mine was doing. The frequency would slightly change depending on the test tone. My guess was a loose screw somewhere causing the membrane to vibrate incorrectly or against something. I’ll never know for sure unless Joe updates me with what he found.

Have you tried a 100Hz or 200z test tone?

Last edited:
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Jun 17, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #11,100 of 22,392
Hi guys I'm looking at these. Hows the bass on them?
The bass is extremely good. But, you need a good amp. I first tried the TCs on a Chord Hugo TT2. I thought the bass sounded good, but it wasn’t up to the level of my Foster th900s, in terms of quantity. Then I upgraded my headphone amp to the Woo Audio WA33s, and the TC bass got a lot better, in quality and quantity. With the WA33s, the bass on my TCs is better than any other headphone I’ve tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back