The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 2, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #10,996 of 22,396
Soundstage size and transparency (and dynamics, and timbre, and glorious execution ...).

mahler.png

Ridiculous imaging (and one of my overall favorite recordings).

promusica.png

Ambience and soundstage depth (and really emotional music btw).

trinity.png

Immersive soundstage, fun factor to the ceiling!

gogo.png
Simorag, I just want to speak in american terms, I **** with you my man.

You always have solid advice, good taste, and many others have always mentioned that you're a gentleman.

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #10,997 of 22,396
I have to say, I've been more a lurker here than poster. I've seen a lot of what @simorag has posted. More than any other poster, his descriptions/reviews always seem to match up with with what I like. I'm always waiting to hear what he has to say about amps, his taste from reading between the lines is more like what I like than any other reviewer. It's because of his similar taste I'm waiting to hear what he has to say about the Bakoon AMP-13R VS the Riviera AIC10. I'm interested to say the least.

Simorag, I just want to speak in american terms, I **** with you my man.

You always have solid advice, good taste, and many others have always mentioned that you're a gentleman.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #10,998 of 22,396
I have to say, I've been more a lurker here than poster. I've seen a lot of what @simorag has posted. More than any other poster, his descriptions/reviews always seem to match up with with what I like. I'm always waiting to hear what he has to say about amps, his taste from reading between the lines is more like what I like than any other reviewer. It's because of his similar taste I'm waiting to hear what he has to say about the Bakoon AMP-13R VS the Riviera AIC10. I'minterested to say the least.

I didn't see him mention trying the Bakoon vs Riviera but maybe I missed that? As a Bakoon user I'd be curious about this comparison w/ AIC10 at 2x price.

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #10,999 of 22,396
My point exactly. He didn't. I'm just hoping he might do this review. @simorag I'm hoping for a review, and please forgive me for throwing you under the bus. Your reviews are very insightful. I ask because he is the most prolific user/poster for the Riveria that I know of. The Bakoon is extremely hyped so far and I want to know if it is real. And @koven it would be great to hear your thoughts as an experienced user vs any other amp you've used.

I didn't see him mention trying the Bakoon vs Riviera but maybe I missed that? As a Bakoon user I'd be curious about this comparison w/ AIC10 at 2x price.

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #11,000 of 22,396
My point exactly. He didn't. I'm just hoping he might do this review. @simorag I'm hoping for a review, and please forgive me for throwing you under the bus. Your reviews are very insightful. I ask because he is the most prolific user/poster for the Riveria that I know of. The Bakoon is extremely hyped so far and I want to know if it is real. And @koven it would be great to hear your thoughts as an experienced user vs any other amp you've used.

Ah I see, I hope so too.. @simorag don't let us down.. :)

Bakoon is pretty hyped yes, I wanted to know as well, luckily for me the owner of Bakoon relocated from South Korea to about 15 minutes from me in California so I was fortunate enough to get a local demo. Super nice guy. He says it's selling like hotcakes. I don't have an Abyss so don't want to get too off topic here but I posted some thoughts vs Benchmark HPA4 on the Susvara thread a couple weeks ago. Long story short I now have an AMP-13R.

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #11,001 of 22,396
Any nice Amp/DAC there? LOL
Unfortunately no lmao. That facility has all kinds of random things crammed together and abyss is the only thing that's headphone related.

Jun 3, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #11,002 of 22,396
I'm waiting to hear what he has to say about the Bakoon AMP-13R VS the Riviera AIC10. I'm interested to say the least.

Ah I see, I hope so too.. @simorag don't let us down.. :)

Gentlemen, sorry to disappoint you, but I have no access to the Bakoon amp unfortunately :cry:. I am very curious about it as well, but I am just a regular guy, not a professional reviewer to whom gear is sent by manufacturers, shops etc. 🤷‍♂️

To make up for it, let me throw in another bunch of great recordings of beautiful music, where the Abyss qualities really shine.

This is for incredible dynamics and visceral impact (when he pounds his feet to the floor you hear it in your chest like no other headphones I tried could do). Enjoy!

muddy.jpg

Another great example of a cavernous soundstage beautifully rendered by the AB-1266 in all three dimensions. You may need to push your amp for experiencing a realistic dynamics with this quietly recorded material.

criolla.jpg

One of the very best piano recordings I have tried, and a compelling interpretation from one of the most interesting pianists of his generation.

bach.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #11,005 of 22,396
Hi Ken...I only saw him live once. 1992 in Frankfurt at the recording of "Yellow Shark". He was already badly affected by his illness. Zappa is the musician I've heard the most in my life. Followed by Steely Dan and the Beatles. I'm glad that there are so many albums and especially so many live albums of him. And some of them really sound great!!! Have a nice day! Marcus.

Jun 3, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #11,006 of 22,396
Gentlemen, sorry to disappoint you, but I have no access to the Bakoon amp unfortunately :cry:. I am very curious about it as well, but I am just a regular guy, not a professional reviewer to whom gear is sent by manufacturers, shops etc. 🤷‍♂️

To make up for it, let me throw in another bunch of great recordings of beautiful music, where the Abyss qualities really shine.

This is for incredible dynamics and visceral impact (when he pounds his feet to the floor you hear it in your chest like no other headphones I tried could do). Enjoy!

muddy.jpg

Another great example of a cavernous soundstage beautifully rendered by the AB-1266 in all three dimensions. You may need to push your amp for experiencing a realistic dynamics with this quietly recorded material.

criolla.jpg

One of the very best piano recordings I have tried, and a compelling interpretation from one of the most interesting pianists of his generation.

bach.jpg

oh gosh, thank you so much for information about these songs sir!

Jun 3, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #11,007 of 22,396
Hi Ken...I only saw him live once. 1992 in Frankfurt at the recording of "Yellow Shark". He was already badly affected by his illness. Zappa is the musician I've heard the most in my life. Followed by Steely Dan and the Beatles. I'm glad that there are so many albums and especially so many live albums of him. And some of them really sound great!!! Have a nice day! Marcus.

They say there's a thin line between genius and crazy. He definitely walked that line.

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #11,009 of 22,396
At the moment my budget won't allow me to get both so I need help here.

Which one is having more effect to the overall sound quality that I can immediately hear, getting premium 300B and rectifier tube for my WA5 amp or getting Superconductor cable for my TC?

I am using EML tubes for the last six months and considering getting Elrog or other premium brand.

Jun 4, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #11,010 of 22,396
Get a different amp than the WA5, it's good but hardly the best 300B amp. An AirTight 300B amp would be better of taking advantage of what Elrog or any other premium brand tube has to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back