The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #10,321 of 22,374
Not a big deal, but I think the rubber should be able to handle a lot of distorting. I would honestly ask JPS about it. I bet anything they’d refund your order and replace it for free. Anyway, not the end of the world. I’d pay for one after maybe 4-5 years of heavy use, but I’d expect warranty in less than one year on something like this.

Actually, a split rubber band design with a couple of knots on the end to prevent slipping past the metal clasp would work just fine as a fix without replacing the whole headband. Seems like an idea to consider for JPS.

Yea I'm not too fussed about it. I think Abyss/Joe do read this thread so if they decide to get in touch then great, but if not then it's ok.

Feb 23, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #10,324 of 22,374
Nice to see some of you guys in NYC...

It was nice meeting you as well... Congratulations on creating the world's best headphones!

Now get to work on a closed back version.

Feb 23, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #10,325 of 22,374
Joe is lucky to have his sons, and his sons are lucky to have him. They are a blessed family.

Feb 23, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #10,326 of 22,374
Really? I liked the WA22 (when I owned it) with Grados or the HD800, but I was never a fan with it and orthos. I always felt it left the HE-6, Abyss, etc..a bit starved for dynamics and punch. YMMV of course.

My experience as well with the WA22. I had gen 1, not sure if gen 2 sounds better (I believe it has more power?). Always seemed to sound lacking -- a bit thin from memory. I felt there was sure to be better options in that price range. Sold it pretty quickly afterward.

I was wondering what interconnects are you guys using with the Abyss?

I went through a few ICs and ended up with Cardas Golden Presence. I find the 1266 can be a little on the thin and analytical side if not paired with complimentary upstream gear. The Cardas adds a touch of warmth, and I've never heard such a big, cohesive and dimensional soundstage. Not strictly neutral, but then again, I find neutral can sound pretty boring.

Feb 24, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #10,327 of 22,374
Shamanic Tales by Astrix was meant to be played on the Abyss. Holy flying F... The Abyss never fails to amaze.

Feb 24, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #10,328 of 22,374
This song is crazy on the TCs. Listen to the whole track (there's a beat switch). The bass :L3000:

zhnf9Fg.png

Feb 24, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #10,329 of 22,374
Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 10.04.32 PM.png

This too. Humongous bass, a little caution (I guess I shouldn't have spoiled it, haha).

Song popped up right after listening to BHZ (pretty cool).

Feb 25, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #10,330 of 22,374
I did want to share a couple of relatively easy upgrades I did that greatly improved my Abyss experience.
Several months back, the rubber connectors on my headband snapped. I jury-rigged my daughter‘s scuncies to approximate the fit - but then the sound (and suffice to say the appearance) definitely took a hit. I bit the bullet and re-ordered another headband and it is sounding as good as ever.

A less intuitive but even cheaper upgrade opportunity occurred when I had my Diana Superconductor shortened - I bought it used but the only length available was 8 feet. So while that did serve the dual purpose of allowing me to listen on the go and jump rope at the same time - just kidding - it was an unwieldy setup, so I arranged for the shortening. I contracted Ted Allen, and I would like to think that after he shortened the cable to 5 feet he uttered “You’ve been chopped” - but actually I don’t think it’s THAT Ted Allen but the one over at headphonelounge. He asked me what I wanted to do with the leftover bits, which I hadn’t fathomed bit I figured that maybe an upgrade in my RCA connection from my Chord Dave to my audiogd-Master 9 would be in order. I did the upgrade (from a Nordost Heimdall cable) and I couldn’t believe that a minor tweak could make such a substantial difference. The trebly peaks from my OG Abyss dissipated and the shimmering details started to unveil themselves like a Renaissance painting restored with extraneous paint chipped away with surgical precision. I am usually do not invest a bunch in interconnects but the marriage of the JPS components was a harmonious one to say the least.

So don’t be a cheap person if your headband snaps but you can be a cheap person if you have extraneous cable bits or snippets lying around (I had the Superconductor modification and a IEM cable all fixed for around $50).

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #10,331 of 22,374
I did want to share a couple of relatively easy upgrades I did that greatly improved my Abyss experience.
Several months back, the rubber connectors on my headband snapped. I jury-rigged my daughter‘s scuncies to approximate the fit - but then the sound (and suffice to say the appearance) definitely took a hit. I bit the bullet and re-ordered another headband and it is sounding as good as ever.

A less intuitive but even cheaper upgrade opportunity occurred when I had my Diana Superconductor shortened - I bought it used but the only length available was 8 feet. So while that did serve the dual purpose of allowing me to listen on the go and jump rope at the same time - just kidding - it was an unwieldy setup, so I arranged for the shortening. I contracted Ted Allen, and I would like to think that after he shortened the cable to 5 feet he uttered “You’ve been chopped” - but actually I don’t think it’s THAT Ted Allen but the one over at headphonelounge. He asked me what I wanted to do with the leftover bits, which I hadn’t fathomed bit I figured that maybe an upgrade in my RCA connection from my Chord Dave to my audiogd-Master 9 would be in order. I did the upgrade (from a Nordost Heimdall cable) and I couldn’t believe that a minor tweak could make such a substantial difference. The trebly peaks from my OG Abyss dissipated and the shimmering details started to unveil themselves like a Renaissance painting restored with extraneous paint chipped away with surgical precision. I am usually do not invest a bunch in interconnects but the marriage of them JPS components was a harmonious one to say the least.

So don’t be a cheap person if your headband snaps but you can be a cheap person if you have extraneous cable bits or snippets lying around (I had the Superconductor modification and a IEM cable all fixed for around $50).
Ted at headphonelounge.com is great!

Feb 25, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #10,332 of 22,374
Loved the Can Jam NYC video!

Still couldn't be happier with my TC's.

I've just inserted a new Line Magnetic LM-512CA tube pre and March Audio Hypex NC1200 mono's into my headphone rig and I couldn't be happier. Dead silent, holographic, and dynamic.

Next step is to invest in a superconductor cable as an upgrade from the very good Lazuli Reference I've using.

Lastly, would like to echo the calls for a closed-back!

Feb 25, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #10,333 of 22,374
I've just inserted a new Line Magnetic LM-512CA tube pre and March Audio Hypex NC1200 mono's into my headphone rig and I couldn't be happier. Dead silent, holographic, and dynamic.

I just googled that pre amp.. That volume knob looks amazing! Looks like a fantastic build. What amp did u connect it to?

Feb 25, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #10,334 of 22,374
Still couldn't be happier with my TC's.

Next step is to invest in a superconductor cable as an upgrade from the very good Lazuli Reference I've using.

Ditto. Loving my TCs. The Dave/MScaler and XI Formula S / Powerman all play their part in the stellar sound.
I just sold my Lazuli Reference to revert to the stock cable. Still debating whether to spend the not inconsiderable $ to jump to the Superconductor. What did you like about the Superconductor in comparison the the Lazuli Ref and stock cable?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #10,335 of 22,374
I just googled that pre amp.. That volume knob looks amazing! Looks like a fantastic build. What amp did u connect it to?

Thank you mate. It looks phenomenal. I've always admired LM components, however it wasn't till I wanted to try a tube pre in my system did I have a need to invest in one of their pieces. As an example of some of there other components here's their flagship LM-845 Premium integrated:

8451.jpg

I've got the preamp connected to a pair of Hpex NC1200 monoblocks from March Audio (1200wats into 2 ohm):

https://www.marchaudio.net.au/product-page/p701-flagship-mono-block-power-amplifier

I previously ran the TC's off an Accuphase A70. I prefer the NC1200's as its got a blacker background and more control on the TC drivers compared to the Accuphase.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back