The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #10,246 of 22,374
It'll help to know what interconnects (and source/amp) you are using now to make some recommendations.
There's no reason one HAS to use silver interconnects for "fast, detailed" sound, as there are plenty of non-silver cables that do this.
I do happen to use pure silver cables with my Abyss, PS Audio Transcendent, but they avoid most of the stereotypical "silver sound."

Actually I'm just curious of what interconnects other Abyss fans are using. It turns out silver might be more popular than copper after all!

Feb 15, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #10,248 of 22,374
Danacable Diamond Reference XLR, since relatively recently.

They have that Danacable "house sound" -- kind of warm and lush, with lots of air and a kind of nuanced "sound gradient" airiness around instruments.

After getting comfortable with them and then doing a direct comparison to my outgoing Moon Audio Silver Dragon XLRs, now I'm like, "What was I thinking?" The Silver Dragons have a silver-ey brightness to them in contrast, which it turns out I'm no longer so much into...

Feb 16, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #10,249 of 22,374
Danacable Diamond Reference XLR, since relatively recently.

They have that Danacable "house sound" -- kind of warm and lush, with lots of air and a kind of nuanced "sound gradient" airiness around instruments.

After getting comfortable with them and then doing a direct comparison to my outgoing Moon Audio Silver Dragon XLRs, now I'm like, "What was I thinking?" The Silver Dragons have a silver-ey brightness to them in contrast, which it turns out I'm no longer so much into...

Feb 16, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #10,250 of 22,374
I have Danacables Sapphire Ref Mk2 XLRs myself. I’m a fan of the Danacables sound too

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #10,251 of 22,374
Ribbons do actually stretch permanently if overdriven, so I would take that EQ in steps, especially if you plan to "basshead" very loudly :L3000:

I do wonder if it's a possibility to have both a ribbon (treble) and a planar driver (bass) in the same headphone, kind of like certain Magnepan speakers...
Not that it's a ribbon, but Enigmacoustics Dharma D1000 did essentially that. Enigmacoustics is well known for their reference super tweeters, which is somewhat similar in results to a ribbon, and this is what was doing the high-end, while a dynamic driver was doing the mids and lows.

It was said to be a good headphone and the best execution of the idea so far, but it wasn't playing in the same league as the summit-fi headphones of 3-4 years ago. I never listened myself, though.

Until something amazing comes along, I took that as a hint that a hybrid headphone is likely always going to face an uphill battle, both ways, in the snow.

Did you get to hear the Dharma D1000?

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #10,252 of 22,374
I’m using MIT Oracle HD50 Rev. 2 XLR interconnects.
I love you. XLR interconnects that cost more than your headphones and your amp :~)

Tell me your take on those vs. others you've had? I've always been interested in MIT Cables with the mystery box inline, but the nice looking ones are crazy expensive.

What I've really been interested in trying is using an adapter to convert the full-size XLR termination to mini-XLR and using these kind of interconnects directly feeding the Abyss...

Feb 16, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #10,253 of 22,374
the stock cable on the abyss 1266 is about the only TOTL cable that I dont think needs replacing.....it is outstanding

Feb 16, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #10,254 of 22,374
Not that it's a ribbon, but Enigmacoustics Dharma D1000 did essentially that. Enigmacoustics is well known for their reference super tweeters, which is somewhat similar in results to a ribbon, and this is what was doing the high-end, while a dynamic driver was doing the mids and lows.

DharmaD1000 by drjlo2, on Flickr

Dharma D1000 looks more like my old AKG K340, with an electret element and dynamic driver.
I'm thinking.. Run the RAAL ribbon full range, then add in a planar driver for low-bass only.

Feb 16, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #10,255 of 22,374
I finally got to hear the TC at Canjam just a little while ago. I heard it on the stack that Joe had and the Woo audio wa33. It was awesome at Joes table. But, the Woo audio pairing was the best stuff at the show for me, easily. I returned about 5 times and did an a/b with the Susvara. The TC sounded better and the Susvara just had a better fit. I could easily live with either of those two. The TC sounds amazing. I see what all the fuss is about.

Feb 16, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #10,256 of 22,374
The TCs and Susvara demo on the Woo Audio WA33 was the highlight of the show for me as well! IMO... It took less than 2 seconds to decide which was better... For me... the sound signatures were drastically different. Glad I made the right purchase. LOL.

I did find it interesting that Mike from Woo Audio he was using a WA11 Topaz as the DAC for the WA.33.

The Susvara are very comfortable... :)

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #10,257 of 22,374
The TCs and Susvara demo on the Woo Audio WA33 was the highlight of the show for me as well! IMO... It took less than 2 seconds to decide which was better... For me... the sound signatures were drastically different. Glad I made the right purchase. LOL.

I did find it interesting that Mike from Woo Audio he was using a WA11 Topaz as the DAC for the WA.33.

The Susvara are very comfortable... :)
It still sounded soooo good with that little dac.

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #10,258 of 22,374
It still sounded soooo good with that little dac.
I totally agree... But makes you wonder about the importance of DACs... or is the WA11 just that good?

PS... I also found it very interesting just how many people were using Michael Jackson's music as their demo material... I had to see at least 10 people playing a track from the Thriller album.

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #10,259 of 22,374
Woo WA11 for the dac? I've heard good things about that product, but I can't see it pushing the WA33 to their potential. Maybe there is something I'm missing here :thinking:

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #10,260 of 22,374
Woo WA11 for the dac? I've heard good things about that product, but I can't see it pushing the WA33 to their potential. Maybe there is something I'm missing here :thinking:
@PeteSTRADAMUS isn't lying... It sounded great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back