The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #10,216 of 22,387
@attmci
Where else can you can buy a UE 596 betides Woo???
Maybe on where and there, but good luck buying from another vendor.
I have been using a WE422 and always curious about the mighty 596. I have a number of 1641/RK60s, and want to learn the difference between these rectifiers.

The 596 ($350) has to be very good and beat the 1641 (~$40) which is still very cheap. Still waiting for an adapter for the 596.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #10,217 of 22,387
Past few days with gsx mini + 1266. On high gain, lots of headroom for volume. Am at the 11 o'clock position on the volume knob and it is plenty loud.

The overall signature to me is the mini is a very very slightly "warm" sound, maybe just a small notch left of neutral. Not dull not thick not bloated. Lots of detail up top without sounding thin or bright. Bass is punchy and fast, well controlled.

It does however have a more L and R stereo feel to the soundstage compared to a more 3d feel of my tube amp. I also prefer the vocals from the tube amp; it just sounds more lifelike and organic with tubes.

The wa22 will remain my amp of choice at home to pair with the 1266. The mini will probably head to the office with a closed Verite.

Feb 11, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #10,218 of 22,387
Thanks for sharing.

Feb 11, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #10,219 of 22,387
This weeks video we talk about frequency response measurements...

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Feb 11, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #10,220 of 22,387
I have been using a WE422 and always curious about the mighty 596. I have a number of 1641/RK60s, and want to learn the difference between these rectifiers.

The 596 ($350) has to be very good and beat the 1641 (~$40) which is still very cheap. Still waiting for an adapter for the 596.
I meant maybe 1 (596) here & there for sale.
Who's adapter are you waiting for, Woo?
If you want we could trade rectifiers for a week or so. I've never heard the WE422.
I've done this with @llamaluv and it worked out fine and we got to hear each others rectifiers without making a blind purchase. PM me if you're interested.

Feb 12, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #10,221 of 22,387
I meant maybe 1 (596) here & there for sale.
Who's adapter are you waiting for, Woo?
If you want we could trade rectifiers for a week or so. I've never heard the WE422.
I've done this with @llamaluv and it worked out fine and we got to hear each others rectifiers without making a blind purchase. PM me if you're interested.
Joe, thanks for the offer. I do have all the tubes. Deyan is making an adapter for me. I was lucky enough to find him from the east bay a couple of years ago.

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #10,223 of 22,387
Anyone going to Munich High End?

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #10,224 of 22,387
So my wife woke up and laughed at me as I was listening to my headphones. I asked why.

She pointed to my head at the Abyss (her first time seeing the headphone) and laughed some more.

I forgot how weird looking this headphone is but I do not care at all, the headphone is an amazing item, and I will cherish it forever. That bass, wow. That clarity, wow. The emotional pulls, whoa.

Feb 13, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #10,225 of 22,387
I had the AHB2 speaker amp, not the HPA4 headphone amp. Unfortunately I sold it before getting the TC, but I have a feeling that the TC would sound great with it (the AHB2), and that it might synergize even better than with the Susvara, for instance.

Reason being is that I felt the AHB2 had a kind of "dynamic ceiling" in general (and not just with the Susvara). But because the TC is so naturally strong when it comes to dynamics, this might not be as much of an issue, thus letting the strengths of the AHB2 to come out with less of its limitations dragging it down (ie, sounding a lil "polite").

This is just speculation, though. Also, I can't say if driving the TC or other planars off the headphone amp version versus the AHB2 speaker amp would result in the same listening experience. Subtle differences in the resulting sonic signature between the two could easily tip the scales in one direction or another. People tend to assume (ie, speculate) that they'd sound essentially the same, but I'd have to hear them side-by-side to be properly convinced.

On the question of resulting tonality (and also, relatedly, of "tonal density") of the TC with one of the two Benchmark amps, that to me is an even more complicated question to reason about without hearing them in person. Aaand now I'm curious again...
Have you heard the JOT-R amp yet with the SR1a?? Impressions compared to likes of Bryston?

Feb 13, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #10,226 of 22,387
Past few days with gsx mini + 1266. On high gain, lots of headroom for volume. Am at the 11 o'clock position on the volume knob and it is plenty loud.

The overall signature to me is the mini is a very very slightly "warm" sound, maybe just a small notch left of neutral. Not dull not thick not bloated. Lots of detail up top without sounding thin or bright. Bass is punchy and fast, well controlled.

It does however have a more L and R stereo feel to the soundstage compared to a more 3d feel of my tube amp. I also prefer the vocals from the tube amp; it just sounds more lifelike and organic with tubes.

The wa22 will remain my amp of choice at home to pair with the 1266. The mini will probably head to the office with a closed Verite.

Really? I liked the WA22 (when I owned it) with Grados or the HD800, but I was never a fan with it and orthos. I always felt it left the HE-6, Abyss, etc..a bit starved for dynamics and punch. YMMV of course. The WA33 with orthos however is amazing!

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #10,227 of 22,387
Really? I liked the WA22 (when I owned it) with Grados or the HD800, but I was never a fan with it and orthos. I always felt it left the HE-6, Abyss, etc..a bit starved for dynamics and punch. YMMV of course. The WA33 with orthos however is amazing!

Yea I quite like the WA22 and I think i have a good selection of tubes which do sound a lot better than stock tubes. love the bass texture and punchiness it gives with the 1266. the mids and highs are super sweet with mullard ecc35 tubes. but I must say I am thinking more and more about the wa33 JPS edition... I like that it comes with the JPS wiring and upgraded tube set. also thinking of the JPS SC cables for the 1266 and add it to ultrashort adaptors to use with my other cans.. hmmmm

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #10,228 of 22,387
Yea I quite like the WA22 and I think i have a good selection of tubes which do sound a lot better than stock tubes. love the bass texture and punchiness it gives with the 1266. the mids and highs are super sweet with mullard ecc35 tubes. but I must say I am thinking more and more about the wa33 JPS edition... I like that it comes with the JPS wiring and upgraded tube set. also thinking of the JPS SC cables for the 1266 and add it to ultrashort adaptors to use with my other cans.. hmmmm

Mine had some really tricked out tubes as well (all NOS and hardly around anymore) too! I think my tubes cost more than the amp itself. :scream: They made it a great amp for non-ortho headphones. That said, I'm glad you found what you like...in the end that's what matters.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #10,229 of 22,387
Mine had some really tricked out tubes as well (all NOS and hardly around anymore) too! I think my tubes cost more than the amp itself. :scream: They made it a great amp for non-ortho headphones. That said, I'm glad you found what you like...in the end that's what matters.
Has anyone compared the TC or Susvara to the SR1a? I know it’s a different experience but can the SR1a really compete as a stand alone TOTL can for the non heavy metal types?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #10,230 of 22,387
Have you heard the JOT-R amp yet with the SR1a?? Impressions compared to likes of Bryston?

Unfortunately I haven't, as I got rid of the SR1a in the Fall of last year.

Has anyone compared the TC or Susvara to the SR1a? I know it’s a different experience but can the SR1a really compete as a stand alone TOTL can for the non heavy metal types?

IMO the SR1a can most definitely compete, especially when framed in the way you put it (for non-heavy metal types). It scales like crazy, and presents qualities like detail, separation, and soundstage as well as anything, but in its own unique way, which can be very compelling. So long as one's system isn't too bright, it has definite end-game potential. Having said that, it was ultimately too bright for me long-term. :D I still love what it does though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back