The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #10,082 of 22,374
They outsourcing these?????

The magnet is pretty strong. Did you rotate/adjust the pad like crazy?

Well, this just happened tonight. The leather had been working itself out for a little bit over a period of about a month, I was gently trying to tuck it back in but was getting annoyed -- and it kept working itself out again. This is not even rotating them, they have been on the headphone untouched. Tonight it just completely fell apart. It's pretty much unusable at this point. The more I try to fix it, the worse it gets.

I emailed Abyss, hopefully they can help out with something. I doubt this is under warranty, but man, the thought of paying $400 for a replacement set for the same kind of quality doesn't sit right.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #10,083 of 22,374
I wasn’t aware of this, but initially Joe was considering giving users the options of changing the backing of the abyss with different materials.
http://www.theaudiobeat.com/rmaf2012/rmaf2012_abyss.htm
It goes on to say “One interesting feature of the AB-1266 is the 'phones' interchangeable driver covers. Abyss will offer an array of replacements in different kinds of wood, giving owners the ability to tailor the sound of their 'phones, not to mention their looks.”

Never happened?

Jan 26, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #10,084 of 22,374
I’d have to believe they would work something out with you.
I got a bit of a discount on new pads. I'm thankful for that and the rapid response. Still kind of a bummer. Just need to be extra careful when removing them from the frame. The design of the pads could be improved IMO so that one didn't have to pull at the actual leather (thus the adhesive) to remove the pad. Would be better if the plastic ring with the holes were slightly bigger diameter so that that is what you grabbed onto instead.

The magnet is pretty strong. Did you rotate/adjust the pad like crazy?

Nope, I'd say normal amount. But over time, I would assume everyone rotates the pads a decent amount to get the right fit. They should hold up to that IMO. It is what it is.

Jan 26, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #10,086 of 22,374
I got a bit of a discount on new pads. I'm thankful for that and the rapid response. Still kind of a bummer. Just need to be extra careful when removing them from the frame. The design of the pads could be improved IMO so that one didn't have to pull at the actual leather (thus the adhesive) to remove the pad. Would be better if the plastic ring with the holes were slightly bigger diameter so that that is what you grabbed onto instead.

Nope, I'd say normal amount. But over time, I would assume everyone rotates the pads a decent amount to get the right fit. They should hold up to that IMO. It is what it is.

But once you have it set to the right position for you, do you still take it off and on?

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #10,087 of 22,374
But once you have it set to the right position for you, do you still take it off and on?
No. It just takes some time adjusting to find the right position as you probably know. And even then, sometimes you may want to move it to get a different sound signature. However, I think I've found my ideal spot so the new set will likely be set and forget.

I'm really not sure how the pad disintegrated so rapidly. It seemed like the glue got less adhesive over time and more sort of gummy. Then last night it seemed to just all come apart at once. I'll be very careful with this new set. Not something I want/need to spend money on!

Here's what Abyss wrote re: getting the pads off. They must have seen my post: "Note you can grab the plastic magnetic ring to remove these without pulling on the lambskin, just have to get 5 fingers around the ring and squeeze while breaking the magnet seal from one side." I'll certainly be more conscious of grabbing the ring and the ring only.

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #10,089 of 22,374
I didn't realize you were gripping it by the earpad. I only grip by the metal ring. I'd be too afraid I'd rip the leather off. :)

I always tried to grip it by the ring, but the leather sticks out a bit past the ring so inevitably I'd be pulling a little on the leather as well. It would be much better IMO if the ring diameter was just a bit wider, instead of the same diameter as the driver enclosure, which would make gripping it a lot easier. I'll just have to be extra careful if I ever adjust them in the future.

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #10,090 of 22,374
I might sell these Susvaras. :thinking: The TCs, with the Super Conductor cables, through the DAVE I recently purchased, into the WA33 amp are the CLEAR winner between the two. The TCs scaled up something crazy with the addition of the DAVE (I previously had the TT2).

I tried the SC cables on my Susvaras, with an adapter, and they sounded better, but not TC levels.

I guess to be fair, I should try out the Lazuli Nirvanas on the Susvaras, which I probably will do. But, I'm skeptical :thinking:

So, basically, I'm saying if you have to choose between the Susvaras and TCs, I say pick the TCs :ok_hand:

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #10,091 of 22,374
both phenomenal

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #10,092 of 22,374
I might sell these Susvaras. :thinking: The TCs, with the Super Conductor cables, through the DAVE I recently purchased, into the WA33 amp are the CLEAR winner between the two. The TCs scaled up something crazy with the addition of the DAVE (I previously had the TT2).

I tried the SC cables on my Susvaras, with an adapter, and they sounded better, but not TC levels.

I guess to be fair, I should try out the Lazuli Nirvanas on the Susvaras, which I probably will do. But, I'm skeptical :thinking:

So, basically, I'm saying if you have to choose between the Susvaras and TCs, I say pick the TCs :ok_hand:

Replied to the wrong person.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #10,093 of 22,374
He tows them in to the front. That worked for me as well.

Btw, so if there is more bass on one side, I need to shift the headphones left and right to even out the spacing between the ear pads and my face I assume?

No. It just takes some time adjusting to find the right position as you probably know. And even then, sometimes you may want to move it to get a different sound signature. However, I think I've found my ideal spot so the new set will likely be set and forget.

I'm really not sure how the pad disintegrated so rapidly. It seemed like the glue got less adhesive over time and more sort of gummy. Then last night it seemed to just all come apart at once. I'll be very careful with this new set. Not something I want/need to spend money on!

Here's what Abyss wrote re: getting the pads off. They must have seen my post: "Note you can grab the plastic magnetic ring to remove these without pulling on the lambskin, just have to get 5 fingers around the ring and squeeze while breaking the magnet seal from one side." I'll certainly be more conscious of grabbing the ring and the ring only.

I personally have never removed those pads by holding the leather. I just tried to remove them naturally again to see what i do, and i do exactly as abyss descries in your post. my palm cups the entire pad, and i place my 5 fingers at the base/plastic, and i pop them off from there.
My original abyss pads (from the OG abyss) are still good as new, and those are really old by now.

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #10,094 of 22,374
I personally have never removed those pads by holding the leather. I just tried to remove them naturally again to see what i do, and i do exactly as abyss descries in your post. my palm cups the entire pad, and i place my 5 fingers at the base/plastic, and i pop them off from there.
I do the same, at least I try to. Cup, grip, lift. I never just grab the leather. I don't have the biggest hands, so maybe I'm not gripping the ring as firmly as needed. As I mentioned, the leather of the pads slightly extends beyond the ring. I try to use my fingertips to just grab the ring, but I feel like it's easy to inadvertently tug on the leather slightly as well. Maybe it's just me.

Jan 27, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #10,095 of 22,374
Replied to the wrong person.

Yes I am the one that picked up the Bartok. This past weekend my friend brought over a bunch of his gear and we had a mini meet. He just picked up a fully upgraded MSB premire stack and brought is new Traformatic Primavera and formula s.

The Primavera is really amazing with the abyss. It is the best that I have ever heard it sound. With the MSB it was incredible. I can not afford this combo though it is in excess of $50k for the amp and dac.

That being said we listened against his Dave and mscaler combo too. In the end I am glad that I went with the Bartok it is more to my liking ( I would really like to get the rossini but $). I have no intentions on upgrading my dac for a good long while now.

He did let me keep his formula s to audition for a while too. The formula sounds incredible with the abyss and Bartok.

Here is a photo from the proceedings. Please forgive the traformatic on the box and the Dave on the floor ( we did move it to a solid surface for listening.) The traformatic is huge though.

20200125_121726.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back