The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #10,066 of 22,374
Just put Dekoni nuggets on my abyss. Worked perfectly for me displacing some of the weight across the side of my head where the strap would normally not touch.
82817062_498615234398108_8584780480920944640_n.jpg

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #10,067 of 22,374
Just put Dekoni nuggets on my abyss. Worked perfectly for me displacing some of the weight across the side of my head where the strap would normally not touch.
This is excellent ! Never heard about the nuggets before. Thank you very much for the tip @honeyjjack. In the past, I tried to enhance the comfort of the Abyss with ZMF leather headband and it could be great if only it doesn't move so much + the DYI is uneasy. Here with the Dekoni, all you have to do is settle the nuggets to the Abyss headband and done! I just ordered them. Wondering if the far right / left position of the nuggets will be good for my head.

Besides comfort enhancement / weigh relief, does the nuggets upper the cans?

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #10,068 of 22,374
Sorry to dig up this old post, but I believe the quoted statement about how Audeze 4 pin mini XLR (female) cable plugged into Abyss (3 pin mini XLR male) will short the Abyss may be wrong?

After some googling, I found these pinouts re Audeze and Abyss.

AbyssPinout by drjlo2, on Flickr

So on both Audeze and Abyss mini XLR, pin 1 will be hot and pin 3 cold. Pin 2 is not connected on Abyss and pin 4 on Audeze is hot but will not connect to Abyss which has no pin 4.
I also found some old posts where people said it works to plug Audeze cable into Abyss, that pins line up fine (no pin 4 obviously), just the outer housing is tight-fit.
https://www.changstar.com/www.changstar.com/index.php/topic,1061.130.html

I just bought an Audeze cable to try on my Abyss, so anyone else tried this?

But 4 pins won't go into a 3 pin plug? But 3 pins 'may' go into a 4 pin plug, though doubt they will line up. My advice is get the correct convertor, do it the right way.

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #10,070 of 22,374
I have the LCD4 and Abyss TC. The cables aren’t interchangeable.

Jan 25, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #10,073 of 22,374
Affinity Cables in Singapore. $85.00. Cut and paste below from their ad:

Audeze LCD 2/3/4 to Abyss Adapter

Handcrafted with Premium WBT Silver Solder

Made with only top grade materials,
OCC silver litz internal wiring, Gold plated contact pins, WBT Silver Solder.
To ensure this adapter does not alter or degrade audio quality.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #10,075 of 22,374
I have not seen any graphs for the TC. I personally have not find the need to eq the TC. I am really enjoying them with the Bartok in the signal path. It has a more natural yet detailed presentation that the TT2 had.

I also find I don't need any EQ with my DAC and amplifier combination. If you can avoid EQ it is best, as you always loose something in the (digital) EQ process, usually soundstage width and depth, amongst other things.

Jan 25, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #10,077 of 22,374
I have the LCD4 and Abyss TC. The cables aren’t interchangeable.

Hmm. Strange... Then the people in the very old thread were smoking something, I guess. They said the 3 holes (male pins) on the Abyss line up with 3 (out of 4) holes of Audeze female plug. Just the outer casing is a tight fit.
I guess I'll just try it. If it doesn't fit, I do have some mini 3-pin XLR plugs I can rewire with. That would be a shame since I kind of wanted to try some ZMF and Audeze 'phones in future possibly.

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #10,078 of 22,374
The pin spacing is different between 3 pin and 4 pin mini XLR's. It may fit if you force it but it will bend the pins in the headphone jack.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Jan 25, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #10,079 of 22,374
I wouldn’t screw around with it and potentially damaging the headphones.

I actually bought that adapter so I could use the Lazuli Reference cable from my Empyrean. However after trying that cable on my TC, I took off and hooked back up my Superconductor cable as it is far superior.

Jan 26, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #10,080 of 22,374
Well, this just happened tonight. The leather had been working itself out for a little bit over a period of about a month, I was gently trying to tuck it back in but was getting annoyed -- and it kept working itself out again. This is not even rotating them, they have been on the headphone untouched. Tonight it just completely fell apart. It's pretty much unusable at this point. The more I try to fix it, the worse it gets.

I emailed Abyss, hopefully they can help out with something. I doubt this is under warranty, but man, the thought of paying $400 for a replacement set for the same kind of quality doesn't sit right.

IMG_20200125_204702.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back