The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #9,946 of 22,374
But like anything else, it’s all subjective. One person may think one cable sounds better than the other, and someone else will probably have the exact opposite opinion. None of them are bad. Just different. Someone may like something very detailed, and another other person might say it’s bright and not musical and vice versa.

Jan 10, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #9,947 of 22,374
Adding another data point for Abyss 1266 Phi TC amplification.
Minerva Audio ICE 1200AS2 based amp sounds extremely good powering the Abyss. At 620 watts/8 Ohms, these class D amps have power for days and sounds it on the Abyss. Some may fear class D and Abyss detail may not mix, but these recent generation class D amps are extremely smooth AND extremely detailed at the same time. Glorious.

0110201606 by drjlo2, on Flickr

Jan 10, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #9,948 of 22,374
Does anyone know a way to touch up a scratch on the TC. The finish I stronger than the original but is still pretty susceptible to scratches. Mine brushed up against the wall while I was trying to connect something in my rack and some of the finish on the edge rubbed off.

Besides the finish, I find the 'metal traces' of the drivers also need equal attention. The other day I was playing with the ear pads, and found there's a dent on the traces that did not exist before. I do not remember coming near that area ever and it's still a mystery to me how it happened.
Don't know if it's only for dust protection but it surely fragile as heck.

Jan 11, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #9,949 of 22,374
If anyone is looking for one I have put my AB-1266 TC up for sale in the classifieds. I know I just took it down but I went and auditioned a DCS Bartok today and fell in love with it. So somethings must go to fund this venture.

Jan 11, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #9,950 of 22,374
Looking into Joining Abyess's Club Guys :ksc75smile: can you guide me and teach me about Abyess Phi TC?

i have owned Utopia and Susvara before, i would say their Treble was a dissapointment for me, i love sparkly Treble.

i used to have HE-6 with speaker amp, not the best mids, but the bass and treble was to die for. yet again the mids were a joke lol

i own DAVE (wasnt my cup of tea) i loved Hugo over it, because i listen to J-pop EDM Electronic. with J-pop i need good mids/vocal ofc, so i went utopia, bass and treble left me wanting more. so i went susvara, which kind of felt bland/plain

i stopped for a year, now thinking of Hugo TT 2 + M-Scaler (should be top tier setup) and maybe an amp? if i decided to go with Abyess Phi TC.

rn i have TH900, with whatever dac/amp

if i will go back and spend 25-35k USD, i hope Phi TC will be worth it.

can you compare the Treble Sparkle of Abyess Phi TC with Susvara and Utopia (which again were a joke level, i am being honest)

i love bright and sparkling treble, at least Treble should be extended to the max in some totl headphones, which isn't the case sadly.

btw i live faraway so going to shop and testing will require me to fly lol.

Jan 11, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #9,951 of 22,374
Looking into Joining Abyess's Club Guys :ksc75smile: can you guide me and teach me about Abyess Phi TC?

can you compare the Treble Sparkle of Abyess Phi TC with Susvara and Utopia (which again were a joke level, i am being honest)

i love bright and sparkling treble, at least Treble should be extended to the max in some totl headphones, which isn't the case sadly.

btw i live faraway so going to shop and testing will require me to fly lol.

Hi Shini. I have listen to the Susvara and can compare it to the TC which I own. The Susvara treble are sweet and elegant. The TC treble are more sort of raw, or what you call sparkling treble.

Jan 11, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #9,952 of 22,374
Adding another data point for Abyss 1266 Phi TC amplification.
Minerva Audio ICE 1200AS2 based amp sounds extremely good powering the Abyss. At 620 watts/8 Ohms, these class D amps have power for days and sounds it on the Abyss. Some may fear class D and Abyss detail may not mix, but these recent generation class D amps are extremely smooth AND extremely detailed at the same time. Glorious.

0110201606 by drjlo2, on Flickr
I'm using a SPEC amp RSA-V1 EX with my CC. It's just brilliant. Love it and its Class D as well with a nive tube sound to it.

Jan 11, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #9,953 of 22,374
But like anything else, it’s all subjective. One person may think one cable sounds better than the other, and someone else will probably have the exact opposite opinion. None of them are bad. Just different. Someone may like something very detailed, and another other person might say it’s bright and not musical and vice versa.
If anyone is looking for one I have put my AB-1266 TC up for sale in the classifieds. I know I just took it down but I went and auditioned a DCS Bartok today and fell in love with it. So somethings must go to fund this venture.

Well you should be able to sell your DAC as well to help fund the purchase as the Ring DAC in the Bartok will be better than what you currently have.

Btw the way, weren’t you just going to buy the re-clocker? You’re in a freefall. I see a12 step program in your future. LOL

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #9,954 of 22,374
For those interested to check how clean and deep is the sub bass of their Abyss (or any other hp for that matter) Why So Serious? by Hans Zimmer is a great track.

Played loud it will also assess the control your amplifier has over the AB 1266 drivers (wait until about 3:25) :L3000:

Jan 11, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #9,956 of 22,374
Which is better the cc or the TC model
Both are great, and depends on what you like, but the TC imo is better. (see my TOTL Comparison for more details on why I chose tc)

Jan 11, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #9,958 of 22,374
I’m going to use it with the wells Milo amp and I listen to contemporary jazz. guitar bass piano Do you think I would need the cc pads to order if I go with the TC or leave it alone as it is
The TC already comes with the latest pads

Jan 11, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #9,959 of 22,374
is Xi Audio Formula S a good SS Amp for AB TC? or not enough power?

Jan 11, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #9,960 of 22,374
is Xi Audio Formula S a good SS Amp for AB TC? or not enough power?

The Formula S was engineered by Michael Xi and Joe Skubinski to amp the Abyss first. It has low/high gain positions. High gain is for the Abyss and other headphones with low impedance such as the Hifiman Susvara. Beside power, the sound signature of the Formula S is... none. It conveys speed, transparency, high bandwidth and a large room to match the Abyss abilities. Completing the Formula S with the Powerman power supply lowers the noise floor and enhance sound separation. These are my experience of the XI Audio combo that I own. You can easily find reviews on the Formula S (+Powerman)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back