The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #9,631 of 22,404
How are the female/male vocals on the TC? And how do they compare with the Susvara? I’m asking all of these questions because at this point in time I’m getting closer to one of these bad boys.

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #9,632 of 22,404
How are the female/male vocals on the TC? And how do they compare with the Susvara? I’m asking all of these questions because at this point in time I’m getting closer to one of these bad boys.
They both sound good. I think it'll be just based on preference for you, TBH. In my mind, the biggest factor for purchasing one pair of headphones over the other, are the genres you listen to. The Susvaras have a better mid-range, while the TCs have better bass and treble.

For me, I listen to the Susvaras with indie rock, classic rock, and stoner metal. They just sound better. Those genres just really work well with the Susvaras.

For the TCs, I listen to them for hip-hop and death metal, black metal, doom, and grindcore. The added bass is needed for those genres (especially hip-hop), and the TCs are the clear choice. Also high-hats just sparkle a bit more with the TCs.

I mainly listen to metal, rock, and hip-hop, so I can't really speak to other genres. But, I think it boils down to how important mid-range and bass are to you. If you listen to bass heavy music, get the TCs. If you prefer a sweeter mid-range, get the Susvaras.

For me, if I had to pick just one pair, I'd go with the TCs. They simply better match the genres I like.

EDIT 1: Also, I'm just using stock cables on the Susvaras, so take with that what you want. I'll be upgrading the Susvara cables soon though

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #9,633 of 22,404
They both sound good. I think it'll be just based on preference for you, TBH. In my mind, the biggest factor for purchasing one pair of headphones over the other, are the genres you listen to. The Susvaras have a better mid-range, while the TCs have better bass and treble.

For me, I listen to the Susvaras with indie rock, classic rock, and stoner metal. They just sound better. Those genres just really work well with the Susvaras.

For the TCs, I listen to them for hip-hop and death metal, black metal, doom, and grindcore. The added bass is needed for those genres (especially hip-hop), and the TCs are the clear choice. Also high-hats just sparkle a bit more with the TCs.

I mainly listen to metal, rock, and hip-hop, so I can't really speak to other genres. But, I think it boils down to how important mid-range and bass are to you. If you listen to bass heavy music, get the TCs. If you prefer a sweeter mid-range, get the Susvaras.

For me, if I had to pick just one pair, I'd go with the TCs. They simply better match the genres I like.

EDIT 1: Also, I'm just using stock cables on the Susvaras, so take with that what you want. I'll be upgrading the Susvara cables soon though
Yes, genre-wise. I’m dnb,electronic,rock,hip hop

I was first headed towards the Susvara from hearing it many times and loving it. The TC would be a shot in the dark. I will probably go with the TC. If I don’t like them they will be easier to sell.

Dec 21, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #9,634 of 22,404
If I don’t like them they will be easier to sell.

As long as the XTCs doesn't come out right after you purchase the TCs... I recommend you trying to find a used pair... The three-year warranty is transferable.

Dec 21, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #9,635 of 22,404

Hey, check out the TOTL review in my sig, I own both cans you're considering and directly compare them, and I have notes on which excels at what and in which genre.

Maybe it may be of some help in deciding.bith are excellent cans. From you hearing the susvara, if what I've described in my review lines up with you own personal opinion of the cans, then you can get an easy reference of how it compares to the TC.

Let me know if u have any other questions after checking out my review, or if there are any specific songs or tests you'd like me to run and comment on.

Im currently on vacation though and only back home on the 2nd. So any testing you may want me to do would have to wait until after that :)

Dec 21, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #9,636 of 22,404
Hey, check out the TOTL review in my sig, I own both cans you're considering and directly compare them, and I have notes on which excels at what and in which genre.

Maybe it may be of some help in deciding.bith are excellent cans. From you hearing the susvara, if what I've described in my review lines up with you own personal opinion of the cans, then you can get an easy reference of how it compares to the TC.

Let me know if u have any other questions after checking out my review, or if there are any specific songs or tests you'd like me to run and comment on.

Im currently on vacation though and only back home on the 2nd. So any testing you may want me to do would have to wait until after that :)
Thanks, I did read your impressions a few weeks ago. It’s still a hard choice for me. Because some genres that are worse on each amp I listen to them too. This is why this is so difficult. I wish I could afford both, lol.

Dec 21, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #9,638 of 22,404
You need to listen to both. You can't spend $5k or $6k without listening first.
I know, you’re right. But I kind of want to roll the dice on the Abyss. And be surprised a little. I have a lot of fun not knowing what I’m going to get.

Dec 21, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #9,639 of 22,404
I know, you’re right. But I kind of want to roll the dice on the Abyss. And be surprised a little. I have a lot of fun not knowing what I’m going to get.
Exactly what I did... Just at 1/3 the retail price.

Dec 22, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #9,643 of 22,404
Price-wise I can get a pretty good price. I won’t disclose that on here. It’s definitely going to cost more than the Susvara. It’s really going to be a coin flip at this point. Comfort for the Susvara. Most listened to genres would go the route of the TC. But, the genres the Susvara excels well in I also do listen too. It’s a hard one for me.

Dec 22, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #9,645 of 22,404
I got mine for $4500 new as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back