The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #9,571 of 22,374
I upgraded my cheap ethernet cables to some Supra Cat8 Ethernet cables. I don't know how, and I don't know why, but they actually did make the TCs sound more holographic with a bit of added resolution. Now, I think this is going to force me to pick up the SOtM Cat 7 cables now too. What would they sound like? :thinking:

I guess everybody was right when they said every little thing in your chain will change the sound signature/quality. I like and don't like this reality. :confused:
I'm using 2x Cat 7 with the iso cat 6 block (2x) per ethernet connection. Its very good. The resolution, bass and mids are very good. My USB cables (2x) are Tellurium Silver Diamond. The better the cables, the better it got for me.

I did use the Supra as well for a while just to hear them. There are good, but not in the same league as the soTm ones, but of course that's expected due to the difference in price and as an end user I would expect it too, would'nt we all.

There are quite a bunch of good cables out in the market, check them out and if possible try it on ur system before pulling the trigger. It's one of the reasons I am into this hobby. Cheers.

Dec 17, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #9,572 of 22,374
I'm using 2x Cat 7 with the iso cat 6 block (2x) per ethernet connection. Its very good. The resolution, bass and mids are very good. My USB cables (2x) are Tellurium Silver Diamond. The better the cables, the better it got for me.

I did use the Supra as well for a while just to hear them. There are good, but not in the same league as the soTm ones, but of course that's expected due to the difference in price and as an end user I would expect it too, would'nt we all.

There are quite a bunch of good cables out in the market, check them out and if possible try it on ur system before pulling the trigger. It's one of the reasons I am into this hobby. Cheers.

I was thinking of adding the iso cat 6 block as well. Did you experiment with two different cable in and out? There was a good review somewhere that did an extensive review with different cables.

Dec 17, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #9,573 of 22,374
Dec 17, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #9,574 of 22,374
At the risk of spinning even more off topic (the only saving grace is that I did some of these ethernet cables tests with TC's, and they are EXTREMELY resolving of the added detail and presence in the low end), I recently got an Uptone Audio EtherREGEN, and I've been experimenting with various "accessible" ethernet cables. The general trend has been the higher the Cat rating (ie, better the shielding and supported data rates), the better the result. The differences were not subtle, which was a huge surprise to me. Winner (so far) is the Cable Matters Cat8 ethernet cable ($11 for 3' from Amazon, returnable). I did not have the SoTM or Supra available to test, but I suspect a quality cat 8 cable will out perform a premium cat 6 (and maybe cat 7) cable. If anyone in SoCal wants to bring over their SoTM or Supra cables, I'm happy to provide the wine to ease the listening tests :wink:

Here are the details of the cable testing I did:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...d-experiments/?do=findComment&comment=1011228
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...eriments/page/5/?tab=comments#comment-1013858

Dec 17, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #9,575 of 22,374
At the risk of spinning even more off topic (the only saving grace is that I did some of these ethernet cables tests with TC's, and they are EXTREMELY resolving of the added detail and presence in the low end), I recently got an Uptone Audio EtherREGEN, and I've been experimenting with various "accessible" ethernet cables. The general trend has been the higher the Cat rating (ie, better the shielding and supported data rates), the better the result. The differences were not subtle, which was a huge surprise to me. Winner (so far) is the Cable Matters Cat8 ethernet cable ($11 for 3' from Amazon, returnable). I did not have the SoTM or Supra available to test, but I suspect a quality cat 8 cable will out perform a premium cat 6 (and maybe cat 7) cable. If anyone in SoCal wants to bring over their SoTM or Supra cables, I'm happy to provide the wine to ease the listening tests :wink:

Here are the details of the cable testing I did:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...d-experiments/?do=findComment&comment=1011228
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...eriments/page/5/?tab=comments#comment-1013858
I also got the EtherRegen(ER) from December batch. I am using DIY supra cat8 throughout my chain. Supra cat8 definitely made an improvement. But, with ether regen (after 100hrs) its day n night.
I have not tried SOtM cables but I think ER will have a more positive effect than cables.

Dec 17, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #9,577 of 22,374
Dec 17, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #9,578 of 22,374
I have followed that thread from the beginning. I’m happy with what I have and not willing to go down that rabbit hole.

I did have the Regen unit at one time and didn’t like the sound. Ended up with the Wyred 4 Sound instead. I’m not sure if there’s an Uptone house sound, but no need to change for me.

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #9,579 of 22,374

To the author and suffering audiophiles, I always make the same suggestion: Get rid of as many cables as possible in your system.
As the author so painfully documents, NO CABLE sounds perfect, i.e. perfectly colorless, neutral, and transparent. This includes headphone cables, interconnects, speaker cables, USB, digital, power cords, ethernet, etc, etc.
I was able to get rid of USB cables and spdif cables in signal chain, which made a large difference. I got rid of ethernet cables in signal chain by buying/downloading all my albums and playing from local hard drive. I wish I could somehow get rid of the headphone cable on my Abyss Phi TC :cry:

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #9,580 of 22,374
It is true that it is better to simplify the amount of. cables, however cables are still needed, and some are better than others.

i guess you have a one box solution.

Btw, maybe ask Joe if he’ll make a Bluetooth version of your headphkne. :)

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #9,581 of 22,374
Dec 17, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #9,583 of 22,374

Lol..

Not knocking on anyone. I just like to read both sides of the story. Im actually thinking of ordering the etherregen.. Just for curiosity sake.

Dec 18, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #9,585 of 22,374
I call bull. It’s totally impossible not to hear a difference. Either it sounds better or worse, but it’s impossible to sound the same.
dafuq?
It's 100% possible to sound the same because it doesn't do anything. Same as if I sit a hamster on my DAC - it sounds the same because it has no impact whatsoever - just like an audiophile network switch.
Keep in mind that a standard cat6 network runs at 1 gigabit. That's pumping 1's and 0's all over the place a billion times a second without making any mistakes. And that's a standard $30 network switch doing that with no problems at all. Sure, the $640 audiophile one can do it as well, but who cares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back