The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #9,346 of 22,374
I recently bought the 1266 TC and have been listening to it non stop for about 3 days now to get used to the sound signature. The amp I'm using is the Woo Audio WA 33 elite with more than enough power and detail.

Do I think its the best headphone yes and no. The yes part its extremely well balanced low, mid , high's and provides good detail. Sometimes the bass can be a bit much....However....

Here's the no part. It's not the only headphone I would want to own. I also have the Focal Utopias, Clears, HD800, and HE1000 each of those headphones does do some things better than the TC.

Utopias are the narrow band detail king and some songs do have more detail than the TC; sometimes the TC's bass gets in the way of micro details
Clears are very similar to the TC's in respect to sound signature well balanced
HE1000's larger sound stage and have extreme detail like the utopias
HD800 larger sound stage

I don't regret buying them for their balanced approach and can see why Steve Guttenberg and Z reviews like them; but if I had one to only own it would be a toss up between the TC and the HE1000's for the setup I have.

Dec 2, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #9,348 of 22,374
I recently bought the 1266 TC and have been listening to it non stop for about 3 days now to get used to the sound signature. The amp I'm using is the Woo Audio WA 33 elite with more than enough power and detail.

Do I think its the best headphone yes and no. The yes part its extremely well balanced low, mid , high's and provides good detail. Sometimes the bass can be a bit much....However....

Here's the no part. It's not the only headphone I would want to own. I also have the Focal Utopias, Clears, HD800, and HE1000 each of those headphones does do some things better than the TC.

Utopias are the narrow band detail king and some songs do have more detail than the TC; sometimes the TC's bass gets in the way of micro details
Clears are very similar to the TC's in respect to sound signature well balanced
HE1000's larger sound stage and have extreme detail like the utopias
HD800 larger sound stage

I don't regret buying them for their balanced approach and can see why Steve Guttenberg and Z reviews like them; but if I had one to only own it would be a toss up between the TC and the HE1000's for the setup I have.

I find the abyss sound stage to be on par with the hd800. The 800 seems to be artificially large at times though.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #9,353 of 22,374
I find the abyss sound stage to be on par with the hd800. The 800 dems to be artificially large at times though.

to me the 800's always had what I can best describe as an artificial soundstage, the TC to me is as large but more natural....to me thee proper comparison to th TC is the susvara not the 1000....the 1000 series is fantastic in its own right but ultimately the susvara betters it convincingly...I for a short time thought otherwise

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #9,354 of 22,374
to me the 800's always had what I can best describe as an artificial soundstage, the TC to me is as large but more natural....to me thee proper comparison to th TC is the susvara not the 1000....the 1000 series is fantastic in its own right but ultimately the susvara betters it convincingly...I for a short time thought otherwise

hmm the Susvara does have more detail but the soundstage is not as large as the HE1000's and the 15% extra detail really isn't worth it. The He1000 bass is also stronger.

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #9,356 of 22,374
I do not agree that the 1000 soundstage is larger...it is different the susvara is deeper....the susvara has more detail and better bass ....the discussion of what is worth what is purely subjective, if you can addord it it is worth it

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #9,358 of 22,374
I do not agree that the 1000 soundstage is larger...it is different the susvara is deeper....the susvara has more detail and better bass ....the discussion of what is worth what is purely subjective, if you can addord it it is worth it

Well we disagree then. By soundstage I don't mean deeper i mean larger and just by comparison the he1000 are a larger headphone. I'm not saying they are better overall just bigger soundstage and the bass is stronger; harder more slam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back