The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 31, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #6,571 of 22,374
I think we can all forget the talk about power figuers of an amp, it does not say anything on how it deliver its power or how it presenting the music.

I have tested nearly 25 amps during the last 2-3 years, and if the amp just can pull out 1,5-2 watts @ 46 Ohm you are perfectly fine with the power. Then the A current is another figure that not so many take in consideration of an amp.

What you cant read out from the specs is how the amp sound; if a gitarr sound like a violin or Frank Sinatra sound more as a piipy teenager, nyances sounds flat, and does not have the pre visceral sound, where the amp builds up a tension before the tone hits you etc etc..
What we do know is that a bigger amp often does sound more effortless, and can project the sound with more layers , finesse and greater control than a smaller amp with less power reserve, and more compromises dun on its design. . Not a rule, more a pointer.

The SimAudio Moon i-7 , new 600i V2 or the 700i is just 3 speaker amps that i highly recomend, one great thing is its 530 steped bit perfect optical e.volume, that makes it more gentle for headphones than most other amps on the market does.

1Just a pointer in the right direction

Thanks, I was playing around with my Mojo and the AB 1266 earlier today and Frank did sound a bit congested and flat.

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #6,572 of 22,374
After a few months of ownership, still impressed with the Abyss Phi.

During this Easter break, I am having multiple relatively long listening stretches (3+ hours straight) and no signs of physical or listening fatigue ...

I was a bit scared by the intimidating weight and appearance of the Abyss, also after reading some complaints about their fit and comfort, before getting them. I am happy to say that, at least for me, they are VERY comfortable. I especially like the fact that they are just barely touching my ears (and this is the fit I prefer for sound quality purposes as well), which is very nice because it prevents them to become hot or slightly sweaty due to sealing and/or pads pressure.

Another outstanding feature of the Phi to me is that they are a pleasure to listen whatever you play, and whatever mood you are in. They are great for immersive critical listening sessions of, say, an audiophile recording of a Beethoven quartet, and just as satisfying for a casual listening of crappy mp3 files or YouTube streaming of, e.g., EDM tracks.

Again, I was afraid that the Abyss / DAVE combo was very picky about what you feed it with, but, at least for me, this is not the case.

Now playing: Gentle Giant - Octopus (via YouTube :))

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #6,573 of 22,374
While I only feed mine CD's, I agree with you on your other points. I keep coming back to Phi again and again over my other phones.

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #6,574 of 22,374
After a few months of ownership, still impressed with the Abyss Phi.

During this Easter break, I am having multiple relatively long listening stretches (3+ hours straight) and no signs of physical or listening fatigue ...

I was a bit scared by the intimidating weight and appearance of the Abyss, also after reading some complaints about their fit and comfort, before getting them. I am happy to say that, at least for me, they are VERY comfortable. I especially like the fact that they are just barely touching my ears (and this is the fit I prefer for sound quality purposes as well), which is very nice because it prevents them to become hot or slightly sweaty due to sealing and/or pads pressure.

Another outstanding feature of the Phi to me is that they are a pleasure to listen whatever you play, and whatever mood you are in. They are great for immersive critical listening sessions of, say, an audiophile recording of a Beethoven quartet, and just as satisfying for a casual listening of crappy mp3 files or YouTube streaming of, e.g., EDM tracks.

Again, I was afraid that the Abyss / DAVE combo was very picky about what you feed it with, but, at least for me, this is not the case.

Now playing: Gentle Giant - Octopus (via YouTube :))

I did the same over Easter, I’m blown away every time I listen. Everything from classical to the Stones. Taking a break and listening to Dorati conduct Kodálay and Bartók, goosebump inducing sound!

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #6,575 of 22,374
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Apr 2, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #6,576 of 22,374
Read Peter’s excellent review and tried find Frank Sinatra, Live at the Sands. Couldn’t find this particular album, I happened on an MQA recording, Nat King Cole at the Sands. Wow, the soundstage is enormous, the Horn Section was in the next room! The Abyss 1266 is truly the closest to speakers one can find in headphones, it blows the HD800 away.

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #6,578 of 22,374
Is the abyss phi tonally fuller or thinner sounding than a properly driven HE-6?

How much of a difference is there either way?
I don't have the Phi version but I do have an unmodded HE6 and I JUST picked up an Audio GD Master 9 so I can give you some information in that regard but it will have to wait until I go back to work next week because I leave my HE6 there. So I haven't tried my HE6 with the Master 9 yet.

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #6,579 of 22,374
I'm looking for a new headphone amp for my Abyss Phi headphones. I'm currently using a Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar headphone amp fed by a Chord DAVE DAC. The Pure BiPolar provides about 1W into 50 ohms in Class A. I'm looking for something neutral and transparent (to hopefully maintain the transparency of the DAVE) that has more power to get the most out of the Phi's. High quality is a higher priority than low cost (although I'm not up for something too unreasonable cost-wise).

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #6,580 of 22,374
I'm looking for a new headphone amp for my Abyss Phi headphones. I'm currently using a Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar headphone amp fed by a Chord DAVE DAC. The Pure BiPolar provides about 1W into 50 ohms in Class A. I'm looking for something neutral and transparent (to hopefully maintain the transparency of the DAVE) that has more power to get the most out of the Phi's. High quality is a higher priority than low cost (although I'm not up for something too unreasonable cost-wise).

Any suggestions?

FWIW, the DAVE will put more power into the Phi and an external amp isn't really needed as the DAVE does a brilliant job on its own. That said, the GS-X Mk2 (about 5.5W) is brilliant with them, but again, not really needed. Please note that most external amps will only take away from the neutrality / transparency from the DAVE.

Apr 9, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #6,581 of 22,374
FWIW, the DAVE will put more power into the Phi and an external amp isn't really needed as the DAVE does a brilliant job on its own. That said, the GS-X Mk2 (about 5.5W) is brilliant with them, but again, not really needed. Please note that most external amps will only take away from the neutrality / transparency from the DAVE.

I was looking back through this thread. Last November, you posted multiple times about how great the DAVE/GS-X Mk2 combo is. Most others argued that it made the sound too bright and you argued that it was just very transparent. Your comment to my post reads to me as if you aren't as strongly endorsing the GS-X Mk2 compared to when you posted in Nov.

If I'm reading that right, is there a reason for this change on your part? Or am I just reading your comments now incorrectly?

Apr 9, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #6,582 of 22,374
Well, damn, my self control crumbled like a stale cookie. Threw the Sylvania “Bad Boy” in and cued up Barbirroli, BPO recording of Mahler’s 9th (the 19th Century’s versión of the Beastie Boys), with the Abyss 1266 and was rewarded with the biggest head-stage I’ve ever heard, depth, tone, very beautiful, and neither the Tube, nor amp is broken in yet!

I know w the Boys and Girls on the Abyss Thread are going to mock me, but if you have champagne taste on a beer budget, I’ll take my Lyr 3 over your Wells and GSX’s.

Apr 9, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #6,583 of 22,374
If the lyr, wells and gs-x all cost as much as the lyr does. I would take the Lyr 3.

Apr 9, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #6,584 of 22,374
If the lyr, wells and gs-x all cost as much as the lyr does. I would take the Lyr 3.

The new Lyr 3, combined with a Sylvania “Bad Boy” 6NS7, and the Abyss are giving me the most profound “hair raising” or “goose bumps” experience I’ve had with headphones. Yes, it is much less expensive, it and the Vinshine, R2R Reference DAC are hard to beat for natural tone and timbre.

Apr 9, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #6,585 of 22,374
Well, damn, my self control crumbled like a stale cookie. Threw the Sylvania “Bad Boy” in and cued up Barbirroli, BPO recording of Mahler’s 9th (the 19th Century’s versión of the Beastie Boys), with the Abyss 1266 and was rewarded with the biggest head-stage I’ve ever heard, depth, tone, very beautiful, and neither the Tube, nor amp is broken in yet!

I know w the Boys and Girls on the Abyss Thread are going to mock me, but if you have champagne taste on a beer budget, I’ll take my Lyr 3 over your Wells and GSX’s.

You know, in terms of sound for your money:

the original abyss used (for a good price)
Lyr 3
good cost/performance dac

would probably be darn close to my first choice. I certainly am not going to mock you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back