The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #5,837 of 22,406
The Headtrip headphone amplifier is $7000.00 and the Headtrip Reference will be $15000.00. We have shown a prototype of the Headtrip Reference at the last Axpona Show and the LA Head-Fi show. We are projecting the Reference as well as the Headtrip Reference monoblocks to be in production the beginning of 2018.

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #5,839 of 22,406
Nope the one in the Phi review,make sure what you are talking about!!!! I am not normally rude but am just speaking as you did

Oct 4, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #5,841 of 22,406
I built a custom pair of Headtrip Reference monoblocks at the request of a customer in Australia. Once the design work was done on them I felt there was no reason to keep me from putting them into production. Below is a picture of those monoblocks.

Mono Block2_small (1).jpg

Oct 4, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #5,842 of 22,406
Nope the one in the Phi review,make sure what you are talking about!!!! I am not normally rude but am just speaking as you did

Well, ok to clear up I was talking about the Headtrip which is $7000. Which also happens to be reviewed on Audio Bacon at $7000. I Googled "Wells Audio Headtrip Audio Bacon" and that's what came up. Can't blame me for that.

There is also the unreleased Headtrip REFERENCE which will be $15000 but I don't remember anyone saying "Headtrip reference", just "Headtrip"

At the end of the day though, we are all just splitting hairs. Who really cares who worded what as what and we all misinterpreted eachother. Now we all know there is a $7k version and a $15k version. And a monoblock version by the look of it too... ($30k I'm guessing?)

Oct 4, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #5,844 of 22,406
Well, ok to clear up I was talking about the Headtrip which is $7000. Which also happens to be reviewed on Audio Bacon at $7000. I Googled "Wells Audio Headtrip Audio Bacon" and that's what came up. Can't blame me for that.

There is also the unreleased Headtrip REFERENCE which will be $15000 but I don't remember anyone saying "Headtrip reference", just "Headtrip"

At the end of the day though, we are all just splitting hairs. Who really cares who worded what as what and we all misinterpreted eachother. Now we all know there is a $7k version and a $15k version. And a monoblock version by the look of it too... ($30k I'm guessing?)
Mulder,

I agree, this nothing to get excited about. In the end it's about getting the correct info and that is all. Let's avoid the typical forum drama and just enjoy the hobby as it is meant to be. BTW, you are right on the mark for the price of the monos but the new design, when available, will be better looking in my opinion. The plan is to show the production monos and the Reference as a world premiere at the Axpona Show in April.

Oct 5, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #5,846 of 22,406
Don't get rid of the VU meters though! Not enough amps have them IMO :)
I love the meters and we try very hard to incorporate them into most of our products. Unfortunately on most of the headphone amps we can't get bothe the meter and a volume control on the faceplate together. The monos are different because they are true mono amplifiers without volume controls (they need a preamp) we have the room to include the meters. I thought that they came out rather stunning and sexy looking.

Oct 5, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #5,847 of 22,406
I love the meters and we try very hard to incorporate them into most of our products. Unfortunately on most of the headphone amps we can't get bothe the meter and a volume control on the faceplate together. The monos are different because they are true mono amplifiers without volume controls (they need a preamp) we have the room to include the meters. I thought that they came out rather stunning and sexy looking.
Make it clear to understand please, it's need to include preamp between dac and HT monoblocks ?

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #5,848 of 22,406
Make it clear to understand please, it's need to include preamp between dac and HT monoblocks ?
Yes, the monoblocks will need a preamp between the sources and the monoblocks. The customer can choose his own preamp (perhaps a tube linestage to go with the solid state monos would be interesting) or I may design something to go with them.

Oct 5, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #5,849 of 22,406
I suppose if your dac has a volume control, that would work instead of a pre amp too, right? If I remember correctly, that's what isquirrel is doing with his woo monoblock amps (volume knob bypassed)

Oct 5, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #5,850 of 22,406
I suppose if your dac has a volume control, that would work instead of a pre amp too, right? If I remember correctly, that's what isquirrel is doing with his woo monoblock amps (volume knob bypassed)
Yes, that should suffice. Although having the freedom to add the tube influence is a great option to have. Those consumers that will not consider amplification other than tube now would have something new for consideration. Before sending the custom Reference monoblocks to their new home I was able to live with them for a couple of weeks using a tube preamp and the experience was different and quite amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back