The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 11, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #5,596 of 22,406
I have bought the latest Stereophile issue and read through the 5 page long great test!

One fun statement is: "Buying black discs like this and listen to them with products like the new Abyss Phi is like getting paid to take LSD, drink Hennesy VSOP, and grind with Tina. The hard part is to telling you about it"

=)=)=)

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #5,597 of 22,406
hmm... I had some comfort issues with mine too (giant head), but try this:
Put your abyss on and play some music
Then grab the drivers and pull them out slightly so the pads are only very gently touching your head - take away all the clamping force.
See how it sounds different? More open, wider soundstage.
If you have clamping force with abyss, you lose some of that magic they are known for. IMO.
That's why when I made my headband, I made it in a fixed position so that the divers are just hanging there only barely touching (same principle as the stock headband) but with the headband moulded to my head to more evenly distribute the weight. Downside of this is obviously it doesn't fit anybody except me. Yours is adjustable for anyone, but it has clamping force. Stock headband is the only one that is adjustable AND doesn't have any clamping force. Though it's not able to be perfect for everyone (like you and I). Maybe Abyss Phi v2 (I'm making this up) will have a more customisable headband...

I got a pretty big head to, and for me the Abyss Phi sounds better when i have them on the widest setting and max toed out and the fitting on my head are like this / 0 \ , and if i bend them out for a more loose fitment im loosing perception in focus and the low end intimacy, where you can play louder with better control.
Yes the soundstage get slightly wider, but that is just about it, so for me a gentle pressure over and in the back of my ear ( i got it seeled to about 50% around the ear) and the rest is leaking slightly. The stitching on the ear cup is pointing straight forward at 3 o'clock.
That is the best all around setting i have discovered that suites me the best, but yes it does pressure a little, but i can live with that.

Guys it's some difficult to say in words, i'll try with photos, there are two screws on each side(earcup), so with one you can make /o\ , |o|, or \o/.
With another we can adjust clamping pressure from small(for big head listener) to high.
IMG20170712222722.jpg
IMG20170712222759.jpg
IMG20170712222947.gif
IMG20170712223217.jpg

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #5,599 of 22,406
After a long wait I received my upgrade to the Phi yesterday and in my early listening I am very impressed and pleased...to my ears they are a bit more dynamic,more detailed and the ability to distinguish individual instruments has been enhanced....I recognize they need to burn in for a while etc and i am told the lower end will improve over time....that said,thus far I am very impressed....I think they are superior to the Utopia in pretty much all ways other than the Utopis comfort and efficiency.....

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #5,600 of 22,406
also let me add they were received at JPS on Monday and i had then back on wednesday which really was terrific service!

Jul 14, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #5,601 of 22,406
After a long wait I received my upgrade to the Phi yesterday and in my early listening I am very impressed and pleased...to my ears they are a bit more dynamic,more detailed and the ability to distinguish individual instruments has been enhanced....I recognize they need to burn in for a while etc and i am told the lower end will improve over time....that said,thus far I am very impressed....I think they are superior to the Utopia in pretty much all ways other than the Utopis comfort and efficiency.....
What can you say about low freq quality and amount, is it the same as v1 or became another?

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #5,603 of 22,406
worth it to me but everyone is different

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #5,604 of 22,406
Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #5,605 of 22,406
We made the August cover... I'll post a link once the review is online

Congratulations Joe, just wait until I do my review in Mono and Stereo!

Jul 15, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #5,606 of 22,406
Now that woo audio wa33 is out, what do you think is the better amp Eddie current studio or wa33?Sorry I have asked this question on wa33 thread but I got no reply.
I will be auditioning both and doing a full exhaustive review of the WA 33 Elite soon.....

Jul 16, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #5,607 of 22,406
further update...paired with chord Dave the Phi just gets better and better the detail,the sound stage is simply stunning....the bass is burning in as well as i listen.....expensive yes but truly special IMHO....I have heard everything other than the stax and to my ears nothing matches the Phi.....if only it were easier to wear lol

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #5,608 of 22,406
Thank you for the impressions.
I'm definitely gonna grab the Phi.
Think I'm coming up on the wait list soon.
As far as the comfort, I tried the 3/4" foam pad someone suggested and it works perfectly for me.
Without it it they ride on my ears and feel ready to fall off.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #5,609 of 22,406
yes,the comfort and fit are very challenging but for me the effort is worth it

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #5,610 of 22,406
So do the people who have done the Phi upgrade agree with the claim that it is more transparent and more true to the source?
If so, I can understand how that would be a good thing for people who have a very high end system. But lately I have been using my Abyss off a DAP and am getting pretty used to it. I wonder if more transparency and trueness to the source is actually a good thing with a more basic system feeding it.

(Obviously I will have to try it myself sometime, but just curious as to what everyone thinks)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back