The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #5,581 of 22,297
I have not heard wa33 sorry, i just linked the pictures and some comments from JPS Labs booth @ Munich High End event.
I got a colleague who got the Eddie Studio, and it got great drive and is very transparent, and not so much commonly tube warmth as usual, but could have a thad more weight overal and slight bigger sound stage, but other than that the sound is very airy, very similar to Pathos in its signature i think, but with much more drive and speed.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #5,583 of 22,297
Representing the alternative point of view on convenience of using 1266, now there are no more any "problems" of long listening(for me it was a lot in stock).
The headband is custom made of titan and aluminium parts with DLC finishing, the mechanism has to give illusion of a support through driver cent. The point of "change" of an axis is added.

PS: Hello Joe, hope you will not give me a ban on your's thread))
1266 — копия.jpg 1266 2 vk — копия.jpg 1266 3.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #5,585 of 22,297
Yeah you went to a fair bit more effort than I did. I don't see you copping a ban - people mod headphones all the time.
I noticed this is very V shaped though - doesn't this give you some clamping pressure which Abyss is not meant to have?

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #5,586 of 22,297
that changes completely the whole idea behind the abyss...

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #5,587 of 22,297
Yeah you went to a fair bit more effort than I did. I don't see you copping a ban - people mod headphones all the time.
I noticed this is very V shaped though - doesn't this give you some clamping pressure which Abyss is not meant to have?
No, it's look like "V" in free hang because of i have adjusted the spring force, on the head of course there is a side pressure- it is a patented mechanism of the original manufacturer who made this custom for me.

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #5,589 of 22,297
No, it's look like "V" in free hang because of i have adjusted the spring force, on the head of course there is a side pressure- it is a patented mechanism of the original manufacturer who made this custom for me.

Yeah that's what I was saying - the design of the Abyss is the way it is because there is not meant to be any clamping pressure - the drivers sort of just 'hang' next to your ears, rather than press against your head.

Jul 7, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #5,591 of 22,297
hmm... I had some comfort issues with mine too (giant head), but try this:
Put your abyss on and play some music
Then grab the drivers and pull them out slightly so the pads are only very gently touching your head - take away all the clamping force.
See how it sounds different? More open, wider soundstage.
If you have clamping force with abyss, you lose some of that magic they are known for. IMO.
That's why when I made my headband, I made it in a fixed position so that the divers are just hanging there only barely touching (same principle as the stock headband) but with the headband moulded to my head to more evenly distribute the weight. Downside of this is obviously it doesn't fit anybody except me. Yours is adjustable for anyone, but it has clamping force. Stock headband is the only one that is adjustable AND doesn't have any clamping force. Though it's not able to be perfect for everyone (like you and I). Maybe Abyss Phi v2 (I'm making this up) will have a more customisable headband...

Jul 7, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #5,592 of 22,297
I got a pretty big head to, and for me the Abyss Phi sounds better when i have them on the widest setting and max toed out and the fitting on my head are like this / 0 \ , and if i bend them out for a more loose fitment im loosing perception in focus and the low end intimacy, where you can play louder with better control.
Yes the soundstage get slightly wider, but that is just about it, so for me a gentle pressure over and in the back of my ear ( i got it seeled to about 50% around the ear) and the rest is leaking slightly. The stitching on the ear cup is pointing straight forward at 3 o'clock.
That is the best all around setting i have discovered that suites me the best, but yes it does pressure a little, but i can live with that.

Jul 9, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #5,593 of 22,297
Comfort issues here as well, i'm using the wire strap mod, dramatically increases the comfort for me, making it a non-issue.

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #5,594 of 22,297
We made the August cover... I'll post a link once the review is online

IMG_0681.jpeg

Last edited:
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Jul 10, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #5,595 of 22,297
Yes! A great review on the old and new Abyss. Congrats Joe!

IMG_4834 copy.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back