The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #2,298 of 22,406

The reviewer has compared Abyss vs HD800, HE6, LCD3, Stax-009, R10, Grado... But in the comp, he has used Cavalli LAu amp with Abyss, LCD3 and HE6, but HDVD800 amp with HD800. ... Nevertheless in this test HD800 still seems to edge soundstage width/depth, but Abyss is judged way out in front on bass weight and dynamics.  I wonder if the conclusions might have been different if HD800 had also been powered by Cavalli LAu?

I use the HD800s and Abyss with the LAu. I'd still agree that the HD800 has more technical ability to project image around the soundstage however the Abyss is (way) more natural and deeper.

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #2,299 of 22,406
Cool.
Living with the AB-1266 for more than a few hours is highly recommended, as is trying the highest resolution source possible...?

dunno. claiming that your cans sound better than more expensive speakers based on marketing spiel and other folks opinions looks like self-justification to me especially if you haven't compared them for yourself. :wink:

how about it joe?

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Apr 9, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #2,300 of 22,406
would lurv to spend more time with the abyss but an audition will have to do. :wink: it was hooked up to a high-end luxman rig and i was using the lossless tracks that i use regularly for critical listening.

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #2,302 of 22,406
  There is always the block member button - which reduces your stress level significantly. I also used it already a couple of times and some folks are just not worth a reply even less a reasoned discussion. Just click the button and be happy
wink.gif

Excellent didn't know that, thanks

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #2,303 of 22,406
Apr 9, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #2,304 of 22,406
don't think that the audeze house sound is for me coz i didn't care for the lcd-2 either

I originally was disappointed in my older lcd2s. The soundstage was flat and with a two dimensional presentation . I also felt the sound while smooth was lacking in clarity to some extant. But a few months ago I purchased a cable pro reverie upgrade cable for the audezes . I opted for the furutech 1/4 inch plug because I do not have a balanced amp . Well in light of the cable change there has definitely been a remarkable transformation in the sound of my lcd 2.2 .
    There is most definitely a soundstage and there is dimensionality as well. My lcd 2.2 now has a clarity that I have never heard from them before . Things sound much more natural and there is a absolutely lovely midrange with the new cable. Cds have a much more beautiful sound that is utterly beguiling.
     I feel the bad rap that the lcd2s sometimes gets is purely due to the substandard cable that audeze provides with their audeze headphones. The addition of the cable pro reverie headphone cable has ameliorated any misgivings that I had about my lcd2.2s .
     While the cable is not cheap at the better half of 700 usd it has transformed my lcd2.2 to the headphone I had originally hoped they would have been when I bought them.
I have not heard the lcd-3 or x for a period of time that would let me judge their sound quality so I can not compare it to what my lcd2.2s sound but I can not imagine them being much better with the stock cable then what my lcd2.2s sound like with my cable pro reverie headphone cable.
   I think the audeze house sound you mentioned is probably due to the substandard stock headphone cable that audeze provides with their headphones. There definitely is a transformation in sound quality with the addition of at least the reverie headphone cable.
For what it is worth  I use a burson ha-160 amp with a fuse upgrade to the hifi tuning supreme fuse. I use a harmonic tech ac-11 power cable on my burson. I also split time headphone time with a restored vintage receiver circa late 1970s . The montster concept 16.5 receiver which has upgraded fuses as well this time being two isoclean 7 amp fuses. This receiver is a real beast and is tremendously powerful sounding with headphones.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #2,305 of 22,406
      I originally was disappointed in my older lcd2s. The soundstage was flat and with a two dimensional presentation . I also felt the sound while smooth was lacking in clarity to some extant. But a few months ago I purchased a cable pro reverie upgrade cable for the audezes . I opted for the furutech 1/4 inch plug because I do not have a balanced amp . Well in light of the cable change there has definitely been a remarkable transformation in the sound of my lcd 2.2 .
    There is most definitely a soundstage and there is dimensionality as well. My lcd 2.2 now has a clarity that I have never heard from them before . Things sound much more natural and there is a absolutely lovely midrange with the new cable. Cds have a much more beautiful sound that is utterly beguiling.
     I feel the bad rap that the lcd2s sometimes gets is purely due to the substandard cable that audeze provides with their audeze headphones. The addition of the cable pro reverie headphone cable has ameliorated any misgivings that I had about my lcd2.2s .
     While the cable is not cheap at the better half of 700 usd it has transformed my lcd2.2 to the headphone I had originally hoped they would have been when I bought them.
I have not heard the lcd-3 or x for a period of time that would let me judge their sound quality so I can not compare it to what my lcd2.2s sound like but I can not imagine them being much better with the stock cable then what my lcd2.2s sound like with my cable pro reverie headphone cable.
   I think the audeze house sound is probably due to the substandard stock headphone cable that audeze provides with their headphones. There definitely is a transformation in sound quality with the addition of at least the reverie headphone cable.

I used the Toxic Widow Silver with my 2.2, 3F and X. Most certainly an upgrade in each case.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #2,306 of 22,406
Why soliciting reviewers ? Those cans sell by themselves.

sure they can and are. but this is more about tyll giving the abyss a "fair hearing" in the sense that the first unit he reviewed and measured might have been defective.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #2,307 of 22,406
sure they can and are. but this is more about tyll giving the abyss a "fair hearing" in the sense that the first unit he reviewed and measured might have been defective.

I agree with your point of view but this is business and freezing a 6000€ product for unnecessary retest why should be ?

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #2,308 of 22,406
I agree with your point of view but this is business and freezing a 6000€ product for unnecessary retest why should be ?

I'm sure that review has put at least one person off. Which means that 'freezing' one pair in order to get an updated (hopefully positive review) is a no brainer, considering the weight and influence that Tyll has in the industry.

If it was my own product, getting the negative aspect of the review sorted would be a top priority. 

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #2,309 of 22,406
tyll would like the opportunity to review another production unit is all. no one's suggesting that jps labs should halt production in the meantime. :wink:

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #2,310 of 22,406
I have not heard the lcd-3 or x for a period of time that would let me judge their sound quality so I can not compare it to what my lcd2.2s sound but I can not imagine them being much better with the stock cable then what my lcd2.2s sound like with my cable pro reverie headphone cable.
   I think the audeze house sound you mentioned is probably due to the substandard stock headphone cable that audeze provides with their headphones. There definitely is a transformation in sound quality with the addition of at least the reverie headphone cable.
For what it is worth  I use a burson ha-160 amp with a fuse upgrade to the hifi tuning supreme fuse. I use a harmonic tech ac-11 power cable on my burson. I also split time headphone time with a restored vintage receiver circa late 1970s . The montster concept 16.5 receiver which has upgraded fuses as well this time being two isoclean 7 amp fuses. This receiver is a real beast and is tremendously powerful sounding with headphones.

JPSLabs is a cable company and you will notice that the total package includes Abyss cans and selected cables to reach a substantial price. Thus good business for a cable company and sound quality control by the manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back