The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #10,321 of 17,846

Roasty

Headphoneus Supremus
Not a big deal, but I think the rubber should be able to handle a lot of distorting. I would honestly ask JPS about it. I bet anything they’d refund your order and replace it for free. Anyway, not the end of the world. I’d pay for one after maybe 4-5 years of heavy use, but I’d expect warranty in less than one year on something like this.

Actually, a split rubber band design with a couple of knots on the end to prevent slipping past the metal clasp would work just fine as a fix without replacing the whole headband. Seems like an idea to consider for JPS.

Yea I'm not too fussed about it. I think Abyss/Joe do read this thread so if they decide to get in touch then great, but if not then it's ok.

Feb 23, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #10,326 of 17,846

tholt

500+ Head-Fier
Really? I liked the WA22 (when I owned it) with Grados or the HD800, but I was never a fan with it and orthos. I always felt it left the HE-6, Abyss, etc..a bit starved for dynamics and punch. YMMV of course.

My experience as well with the WA22. I had gen 1, not sure if gen 2 sounds better (I believe it has more power?). Always seemed to sound lacking -- a bit thin from memory. I felt there was sure to be better options in that price range. Sold it pretty quickly afterward.

I was wondering what interconnects are you guys using with the Abyss?

I went through a few ICs and ended up with Cardas Golden Presence. I find the 1266 can be a little on the thin and analytical side if not paired with complimentary upstream gear. The Cardas adds a touch of warmth, and I've never heard such a big, cohesive and dimensional soundstage. Not strictly neutral, but then again, I find neutral can sound pretty boring.

Feb 24, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #10,328 of 17,846

Ciggavelli

1000+ Head-Fier
This song is crazy on the TCs. Listen to the whole track (there's a beat switch). The bass :L3000:

zhnf9Fg.png

Feb 24, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #10,329 of 17,846

BrowChan

100+ Head-Fier
Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 10.04.32 PM.png

This too. Humongous bass, a little caution (I guess I shouldn't have spoiled it, haha).

Song popped up right after listening to BHZ (pretty cool).

Feb 25, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #10,330 of 17,846

MaggotBrain

100+ Head-Fier
I did want to share a couple of relatively easy upgrades I did that greatly improved my Abyss experience.
Several months back, the rubber connectors on my headband snapped. I jury-rigged my daughter‘s scuncies to approximate the fit - but then the sound (and suffice to say the appearance) definitely took a hit. I bit the bullet and re-ordered another headband and it is sounding as good as ever.

A less intuitive but even cheaper upgrade opportunity occurred when I had my Diana Superconductor shortened - I bought it used but the only length available was 8 feet. So while that did serve the dual purpose of allowing me to listen on the go and jump rope at the same time - just kidding - it was an unwieldy setup, so I arranged for the shortening. I contracted Ted Allen, and I would like to think that after he shortened the cable to 5 feet he uttered “You’ve been chopped” - but actually I don’t think it’s THAT Ted Allen but the one over at headphonelounge. He asked me what I wanted to do with the leftover bits, which I hadn’t fathomed bit I figured that maybe an upgrade in my RCA connection from my Chord Dave to my audiogd-Master 9 would be in order. I did the upgrade (from a Nordost Heimdall cable) and I couldn’t believe that a minor tweak could make such a substantial difference. The trebly peaks from my OG Abyss dissipated and the shimmering details started to unveil themselves like a Renaissance painting restored with extraneous paint chipped away with surgical precision. I am usually do not invest a bunch in interconnects but the marriage of the JPS components was a harmonious one to say the least.

So don’t be a cheap bastard if your headband snaps but you can be a cheap bastard if you have extraneous cable bits or snippets lying around (I had the Superconductor modification and a IEM cable all fixed for around $50).

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #10,331 of 17,846

Litlgi74

Member of the Trade: 3D Sound Shop
I did want to share a couple of relatively easy upgrades I did that greatly improved my Abyss experience.
Several months back, the rubber connectors on my headband snapped. I jury-rigged my daughter‘s scuncies to approximate the fit - but then the sound (and suffice to say the appearance) definitely took a hit. I bit the bullet and re-ordered another headband and it is sounding as good as ever.

A less intuitive but even cheaper upgrade opportunity occurred when I had my Diana Superconductor shortened - I bought it used but the only length available was 8 feet. So while that did serve the dual purpose of allowing me to listen on the go and jump rope at the same time - just kidding - it was an unwieldy setup, so I arranged for the shortening. I contracted Ted Allen, and I would like to think that after he shortened the cable to 5 feet he uttered “You’ve been chopped” - but actually I don’t think it’s THAT Ted Allen but the one over at headphonelounge. He asked me what I wanted to do with the leftover bits, which I hadn’t fathomed bit I figured that maybe an upgrade in my RCA connection from my Chord Dave to my audiogd-Master 9 would be in order. I did the upgrade (from a Nordost Heimdall cable) and I couldn’t believe that a minor tweak could make such a substantial difference. The trebly peaks from my OG Abyss dissipated and the shimmering details started to unveil themselves like a Renaissance painting restored with extraneous paint chipped away with surgical precision. I am usually do not invest a bunch in interconnects but the marriage of them JPS components was a harmonious one to say the least.

So don’t be a cheap bastard if your headband snaps but you can be a cheap bastard if you have extraneous cable bits or snippets lying around (I had the Superconductor modification and a IEM cable all fixed for around $50).
Ted at headphonelounge.com is great!

Feb 25, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #10,332 of 17,846

galacticsoap

100+ Head-Fier
Loved the Can Jam NYC video!

Still couldn't be happier with my TC's.

I've just inserted a new Line Magnetic LM-512CA tube pre and March Audio Hypex NC1200 mono's into my headphone rig and I couldn't be happier. Dead silent, holographic, and dynamic.

Next step is to invest in a superconductor cable as an upgrade from the very good Lazuli Reference I've using.

Lastly, would like to echo the calls for a closed-back!

Feb 25, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #10,333 of 17,846

Roasty

Headphoneus Supremus
I've just inserted a new Line Magnetic LM-512CA tube pre and March Audio Hypex NC1200 mono's into my headphone rig and I couldn't be happier. Dead silent, holographic, and dynamic.

I just googled that pre amp.. That volume knob looks amazing! Looks like a fantastic build. What amp did u connect it to?

Feb 25, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #10,334 of 17,846

ekfc63

100+ Head-Fier
Still couldn't be happier with my TC's.

Next step is to invest in a superconductor cable as an upgrade from the very good Lazuli Reference I've using.

Ditto. Loving my TCs. The Dave/MScaler and XI Formula S / Powerman all play their part in the stellar sound.
I just sold my Lazuli Reference to revert to the stock cable. Still debating whether to spend the not inconsiderable $ to jump to the Superconductor. What did you like about the Superconductor in comparison the the Lazuli Ref and stock cable?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #10,335 of 17,846

galacticsoap

100+ Head-Fier
I just googled that pre amp.. That volume knob looks amazing! Looks like a fantastic build. What amp did u connect it to?

Thank you mate. It looks phenomenal. I've always admired LM components, however it wasn't till I wanted to try a tube pre in my system did I have a need to invest in one of their pieces. As an example of some of there other components here's their flagship LM-845 Premium integrated:

8451.jpg

I've got the preamp connected to a pair of Hpex NC1200 monoblocks from March Audio (1200wats into 2 ohm):

https://www.marchaudio.net.au/product-page/p701-flagship-mono-block-power-amplifier

I previously ran the TC's off an Accuphase A70. I prefer the NC1200's as its got a blacker background and more control on the TC drivers compared to the Accuphase.

Users who are viewing this thread