The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #10,141 of 22,404
Is anyone using their TC with the formula s and powerman combo? What are your thought on it? I currently have the liquid platinum with my Bartok and might be able.to switch the Bartok for one with the headphone amp. Does the formula s leave anything to be desired in terms of driving the abyss? I know that it is the amp that jps prefers to pair with the TC.

Thanks in advance

I’m sure you know that’s a question that cannot be answered except by you if you try it.

Obviously the amp can drive the 1266 or Joe wouldn’t have developed it for it.

The real question is does it check all of the boxes of what sounds pleasing to you. Only you can answer that.

In addition to that, anyone that will offer their opinion will have different equipment, have different likes, and hear differently.

If you want a real definitive answer, send back the Bartok and get the headphone option, and then see if you can get a demo Formula S amp and Powerman, then A-B it and pick what you like best.

Jan 30, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #10,142 of 22,404
How about the Woo Audio 33 JPS edition? I think that could be my tube end game..

Jan 30, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #10,143 of 22,404
I’m sure you know that’s a question that cannot be answered except by you if you try it.

Obviously the amp can drive the 1266 or Joe wouldn’t have developed it for it.

The real question is does it check all of the boxes of what sounds pleasing to you. Only you can answer that.

In addition to that, anyone that will offer their opinion will have different equipment, have different likes, and hear differently.

If you want a real definitive answer, send back the Bartok and get the headphone option, and then see if you can get a demo Formula S amp and Powerman, then A-B it and pick what you like best.

I actually have a formula s and powerman at my house currently. I am auditioning against the liquid platinum. I am just curious if anyone has compared the formula to other headphone amps. I really want a traformatic Primavera but it is beyond my comfort for a headphone amp at $15k. I would rather put that money towards a D'Agostino for my speakers.

I am really happy with the Bartok compared to my old TT2 though. I just need to sort out my amp situation and I am pretty set with headphones.
To think all of this started with watching z review the lcd x. I got that and an idsd black label and now look where I am. This is a dangerous hobby.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #10,144 of 22,404
How about the Woo Audio 33 JPS edition? I think that could be my tube end game..

I absolutely love that amp with these headphones! Every show or meet, if the pairing is there, I always make sure to stop by for 10 minutes just to listen to it....and I own the Phi TC!

Jan 30, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #10,145 of 22,404
Is anyone using their TC with the formula s and powerman combo? What are your thought on it? I currently have the liquid platinum with my Bartok and might be able.to switch the Bartok for one with the headphone amp. Does the formula s leave anything to be desired in terms of driving the abyss? I know that it is the amp that jps prefers to pair with the TC.

Thanks in advance

the formula s/powerman is wonderful with the TC...black background, plenty of power...very detailed with a large soundstage...also great with the susvara.....

Jan 30, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #10,146 of 22,404
I switched from 1266 to Empyrean and there's a hum not controlled by volume. It's even there with the DAC off. This was not there with the 1266 maybe because of sensitivity so high on the Empyrean. This sucks because the veil is gone( compared to the mini). I have unplugged xlr to see if it was from power cord but it didn't go away. I do have the Formula S mounted on top of the Powerman. If that isn't the culprit I'm out of ideas. I should also mention the 1266 running off the 3 pin xlr outputs. the hum is on the 4 pin xlr. I'm going to test my other headphones. I tested my HEDDphone which is 87 db and it's hard to hear it but it's there on the 4 pin xlr.

Curious if u managed to work out that hum with the empy?

Jan 30, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #10,147 of 22,404
Curious if u managed to work out that hum with the empy?
Yes Joe gave me the steps. It ended up being my Hugo TT2 causing ground loop with the Formula S. It's okay because I have the Sagra DAC which is really good and no hum clean black background. The TT2 stays on my gsx mini and my ares 2 on the Pendant.

Jan 31, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #10,148 of 22,404

Not sure about the WA33 Standard Edition with JPS wiring, but I have the WA33 EE with JPS upgrade as custom order from Woo. I was told that Abyss will offer this on their site soon and if you want it, you can ask Joe.

You can find my impression of that amp here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/woos-new-flagship-wa33.843710/page-35#post-15428387

I love how it sounds with Diana Phi.

Jan 31, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #10,149 of 22,404

Thanks in advance

I own a complete XI Audio combo to listen to my TC. It matches the TC abilities in every ways IMHO.

In overall, it doesn't impose any sound character except those of the recording. I listen to Ben Harper, Taj Mahal and G-Love's music to test soundstage and timbres. These recordings are truly spectacular and remain so with the XI and Abyss combo. As the amp is very resolving and conveys an exemplary soundstage and accurate distinction of instruments, you can hear the acoustic of the room and the sound signature of each instruments : skin of the drums, strings of electric bass, natural reverbs of the slide guitar etc. Pure bliss. More about the soundstage: it is very close to your ears, as if musicians are playing right in front of you. I listened to the TC with the Riviera AIC10. This amp delivers a different scene with more distance between you and the musicians. It's a matter of taste.

The amp delivers a generous and stable amount of energy all across a wide bandwidth, especially in the lows which are Abyss' great specialty. Bass are very very well controlled and impactful. With pop music, dynamics are high and constant but the Amp is never lost, it is always in control. This is a fast amp. The only downside I see is with classical music where recording lacks dynamics most of the time. You will then have to max the volume level to get the thrill with symphonies (but this is my taste. I like to listen to symphonies at high volume levels). In this respect, I would have like a more powerful amp to have some extra juice but for all other genres and recordings, the Formula S is a no brainer.

Adding the Powerman brings a greater separation of instruments and a dead black sound background. The latter is very useful when pairing the Formula S with low sensitive headphones (TC or Susvara) because these types of cans requires to select the High Gain position of the amp which goes along with some hum.

The amp is very sensitive to cables (interconnect and power). You can reach an even greater holographic sound stage and meat in timbres pending the cables. Is it a downside or the character of great amps? Can't say but I see there the resolving asset of the amp, and the opportunity to manage upgrades at my own pace and budget. My next steps consist in cabling everything with JPS Labs cables (I trust these guys) : new RCA Superconductor 4 and Kaptovator. Joe uses Aluminata. I would love to hear the XI's in this config.

Final thoughts: I think that the Formula S and Powerman deliver a very generous amount of joy and pairs wonderfully well with the TC for a reasonable price tag. In the SS amp category, I would probably go for a Headtrip Reference or MassKobo headamp to reach more power (and have my Bank man behind me for the rest of my life). Or a speaker amp which is another option but it requires some care.

Hope that it helps.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #10,150 of 22,404
Adding the Powerman brings a greater separation of instruments and a dead black sound background. The latter is very useful when pairing the Formula S with low sensitive headphones (TC or Susvara) because these types of cans requires to select the High Gain position of the amp which goes along with some hum.

So there is an audible hum with the TC when using high gain with the formula/powerman combo?

Jan 31, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #10,151 of 22,404
So there is an audible hum with the TC when using high gain with the formula/powerman combo?

"Hum" was probably not the most appropriate word. It has more to do with the background sound. In High Gain position, every frequency is gaining many decibels. So is the background sound / frequency. The Formula is silent in Low gain position. Is "lesser" silent in High gain position. The Powerman supply turns the Formula S back to silence in High gain position.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #10,152 of 22,404
"Hum" was probably not the appropriate word. It has more to do with the background sound. In High Gain position, every frequency is gaining many decibels. So is the background sound / frequency. The Formula is silent in Low gain position. Is "lesser" silent in High gain position. The Powerman supply turns the Formula S back to silence in High gain position.

Thanks for the clarification. I do on occasion use the TC with the Benchmark HPA4 and it does have a dead silent background, even up to when the volume is pushed unbearably loud. Have not heard the Formula amp myself; really wish I could, and hear for myself if there was any big diff between it and the HPA4.

Jan 31, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #10,153 of 22,404
Thanks for the clarification. I do on occasion use the TC with the Benchmark HPA4 and it does have a dead silent background, even up to when the volume is pushed unbearably loud. Have not heard the Formula amp myself; really wish I could, and hear for myself if there was any big diff between it and the HPA4.

I assume that the the HPA4 shares a lot with the XI combo : a lot of power with very resolving ability. I think that for these types of amps, the choice of DAC is critical : Being very analytical, your listening experience may be boring and fatiguing. Being more on the analog side, these amps will convey the DAC personality straight to the cans.

Jan 31, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #10,155 of 22,404
I own a complete XI Audio combo to listen to my TC. It matches the TC abilities in every ways IMHO.

In overall, it doesn't impose any sound character except those of the recording. I listen to Ben Harper, Taj Mahal and G-Love's music to test soundstage and timbres. These recordings are truly spectacular and remain so with the XI and Abyss combo. As the amp is very resolving and conveys an exemplary soundstage and accurate distinction of instruments, you can hear the acoustic of the room and the sound signature of each instruments : skin of the drums, strings of electric bass, natural reverbs of the slide guitar etc. Pure bliss. More about the soundstage: it is very close to your ears, as if musicians are playing right in front of you. I listened to the TC with the Riviera AIC10. This amp delivers a different scene with more distance between you and the musicians. It's a matter of taste.

The amp delivers a generous and stable amount of energy all across a wide bandwidth, especially in the lows which are Abyss' great specialty. Bass are very very well controlled and impactful. With pop music, dynamics are high and constant but the Amp is never lost, it is always in control. This is a fast amp. The only downside I see is with classical music where recording lacks dynamics most of the time. You will then have to max the volume level to get the thrill with symphonies (but this is my taste. I like to listen to symphonies at high volume levels). In this respect, I would have like a more powerful amp to have some extra juice but for all other genres and recordings, the Formula S is a no brainer.

The amp is very sensitive to cables (interconnect and power). You can reach an even greater holographic sound stage and meat in timbres pending the cables. Is it a downside or the character of great amps? Can't say but I see there the resolving asset of the amp, and the opportunity to manage upgrades at my own pace and budget. My next steps consist in cabling everything with JPS Labs cables (I trust these guys) : new RCA Superconductor 4 and Kaptovator. Joe uses Aluminata. I would love to hear the XI's in this config.

Final thoughts: I think that the Formula S and Powerman deliver a very generous amount of joy and pairs wonderfully well with the TC for a reasonable price tag. In the SS amp category, I would probably go for a Headtrip Reference or MassKobo headamp to reach more power (and have my Bank man behind me for the rest of my life). Or a speaker amp which is another option but it requires some care.

Hope that it helps.

Great write up. I disagree that opinions don't matter. I like to read what others think as it provides information and perspective, especially if given in this level of detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back