1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by scolaiw, Jun 5, 2013.
First

Back
572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581
583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592
Next

Last
  1. Olumm
    I couldn't agree with you more. I just got the 1266 last week and have been slowly looking around at all of my other headphones to see if I would likely ever use them again, and other than the HD600 the answer keeps coming up as NO.

Alarickc likes this.
  2. treebug
    Many thanks. Close to pulling the trigger on these. Only thing that's holding me back slightly is the weight.

3. CreditingKarma
    The closest I have gotten to the ab1266 tc in an iem is the noble Khan. They are really resolving.you should give them a try.

HiFiGuy528 likes this.
  4. astrostar59
    I don't find an issue with the weight. The fit is something you get used to as well. In fact, the soft / low pressure to the ears once setting the frame up, it really is as close to no headphone at all compared to traditional cans.

The detail extraction is amazing, v close to my Stax 009s and Carbon amp, but minus the coldness and edginess of that HP. And the soundstage is miles ahead of the Stax, and the Audeze as well to my ears. I find I hear things well beyond my head sphere, I thought those sounds were from my room not in the music.

Then the speed, it is lightning fast. This also means you miss less detail and everything in more in focus, not slowed down. IMO you do need a good source to the Abyss, which makes sense for a 5k headphone. I like R2R DACs for a source, preferably with tube gain stage, makes a match made in heaven.

Short story, get the Abyss, don't worry about it...

GuyForkes and simorag like this.
  5. jlbrach
    the abyss tc, susvara and lcd-4 are the big 3 IMHO....

6. treebug

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  7. treebug
    Astrostar, have you compared the Diani Phi to the 1266 soundwise? I see that is a little lighter.

8. astrostar59
    Agree, but my taste is Abyss first (speed, excitement and dynamics), LCD4 second (creamy mids and warmer FR) Susvara last.

The Susvara is a bit bonkers IMO, as it seems to need a big amp investment to shine at it's best. I can't remember how many posters have said go for a speaker amp with it. It gets me a bit annoyed actually, why HFM would not redesign it to reduce the impedance and raise the efficiency. Lazy I would say..... it is like the huge amount of 90dB or less speakers out their which basically requires big SS power amps. It is entirely possible to get better efficiency with minimal losses to sound quality. I would never buy a speaker less than 95dB on that basis. So for me the Susvara is OUT.

9. lambdastorm
    I wish Susvara's sensitivity is a few dBs lower just so I can use a speaker amp with even more power. One of the many reasons why Susvara, along with HE6, are great is because you can 'cheat' with speaker amps, which sound way more dynamic and expressive than similarly priced headphone amps. Why bother with headphone amps when you can drive both speakers and headphones at the same time?

llamaluv likes this.
  10. Alarickc
    I have the 1266 TC and Diana Phi. I'd say the Diana is close, and how close it is depends on your priorities. Tonality is nearly the same between them. Transient resolve and detail retrieval is slightly, but noticeably, better on the big 1266. Impact and physicality is suprisingly similar. Soundstaging is the big difference, with the 1266 having way bigger size of soundstage and noticeably better placement. I'd only get the Diana as a portable companion to the 1266, but your preference could vary if you really hate the 1266's unique fit.

mulder01 likes this.
  11. jlbrach
    because not everyone wants to listen to their HP's out of the amp driving their loudspeakers...i personally have a Mcintosh 452 driving my loudspeakers and for so many reasons i wouldnt dream of using it to drive my susvars

12. JLoud
    I have a Woo WA5le and a HeadAmp GSX mkii that drive my Abyss with authority. I can't imagine needing more power than these two have. They sound fantastic, but very different, with the 1266Tc and LCD-4. Haven't had the opportunity to try the Susvara yet. But with the amount of headroom the Abyss has on both amps, I believe they would drive the Susvara with no problem.

Alarickc likes this.
  13. jlbrach
    i have the formula s/powerman combo and it drives the susvara beautifully...i used to have the 281 and the ifi pro can which also had ample power to drive the susvara....the formula s is far better but all drive it just fine....

14. cj3209
    I don't know if I want my 35 lb. tube amp next to my head at night...lol

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  15. jlbrach
    my 452 speaker amp weighs about 200 pounds lol..aint gonna be near my HP setup

First

Back
572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581
583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592
Next

Last