The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 16, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #8,539 of 22,404
Why? That's not a valid point?

I'm not trolling; the price on those pads was outrageous.
Sorry... I thought that might have been interpreted incorrectly. I dislike the price of the stand and the pads.

Jul 16, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #8,542 of 22,404
Why? That's not a valid point?

I'm not trolling; the price on those pads was outrageous.
It's a shame that not not more people realise what rip-off the prices of some headphones are.
For the price of one pair of these pads you will almost get two pairs of KLH Ultimate One headphones, with gorgeous woodwork and great leather pads.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #8,543 of 22,404
How many of you who can't get past the $400 stand price were fine with Abyss pads costing that much?
That's the real difference between companies philosophy and how they treat there customers after sale ,
For example the Raal Requisite SR-1A both drivers cost 350$ and here just the foam pads cost 400$

Jul 16, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #8,544 of 22,404
That's the real difference between companies philosophy and how they treat there customers after sale ,
For example the Raal Requisite SR-1A both drivers cost 350$ and here just the foam pads cost 400$
Anybody can look up the KH Ultimate One. They totally resemble the ZMF Verite.
If a company is able to sell a headphone for $289 with great looking woodwork, leather headband, etc, the cost of material in order to build such a headphone will be less than $100.
And they also have to pay for R&D.
That's why I personally believe that some companies charge obscene prices. And that is probably the reason, why it is not uncommon to buy a brand new hp with a 30% discount, because even the dealers feel that customers are being overcharged.
That's why people were able to offer a 2 months old Susvara for €3100 here recently in the forum sale section. I cannot imagine that a seller is willing to give such a discount for an almost brand new Susvara, if he paid the full list price.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #8,545 of 22,404
Just wondering if anyone who has placed their Abyss on a stand the 'normal' way (i.e. resting on the headband) experienced O rings getting stretched out or breaking as a direct cause? Like, you felt that storing them this way had a direct impact on this?
I kept mine on the justmobile stand for quite a while (a year?) and you get a couple of crease marks in the leather because the bit they sit on is flat, so I switched to the Woo one and it slowly went away.
When you consider how much those elastic bands are stretched already, you're probably not adding much to it by resting the headphone on it.

Jul 16, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #8,546 of 22,404
Woo double header stand (($80.00) and $3.00 worth of built up layers of 3M weather stripping from back when I compared the CC and TC, .

Apr 27, 2019 at 3:07 PM
Post #8142 of 8545

10282237.png

TC is in the front.
10282239.png

Jul 16, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #8,548 of 22,404
How many of you who can't get past the $400 stand price were fine with Abyss pads costing that much?

kinda of apples and oranges since the pads whether overpriced or not do positively impact the sound....

Jul 16, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #8,549 of 22,404
Anybody can look up the KH Ultimate One. They totally resemble the ZMF Verite.
If a company is able to sell a headphone for $289 with great looking woodwork, leather headband, etc, the cost of material in order to build such a headphone will be less than $100.
And they also have to pay for R&D.
That's why I personally believe that some companies charge obscene prices. And that is probably the reason, why it is not uncommon to buy a brand new hp with a 30% discount, because even the dealers feel that customers are being overcharged.
That's why people were able to offer a 2 months old Susvara for €3100 here recently in the forum sale section. I cannot imagine that a seller is willing to give such a discount for an almost brand new Susvara, if he paid the full list price.
I'm not in the business of selling headphones but even I know that making items in-house and paying fair wages here in the US is vastly different from buying labor-cheap overseas products that take advantage of current US tariffs, ie Chinese products.

I couldn't give a rat's you know what about headphone stands; if you can't afford them, dont buy them. Just like I don't complain about my friends buying overpriced garbage cars from Germany, ie Mercedes S-class, etc.

Let's stay on topic here.

Thanks.

Jul 16, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #8,550 of 22,404
For perspective, I had a great experience with Abyss customer service today. I emailed a question about the new TC drivers and they responded very quickly. Took the time to answer my questions. I am very pleased with their explanations. I have always been willing to pay a premium for top notch service. To me it is worth it. If it isn't to someone else then they are free to shop elsewhere. That's why there is a huge range of prices and services. To each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back