The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 16, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #6,241 of 22,405
@mulder01 Thanks you for the comments. The signal to noise ration can be quite high so I'm happy when actual down to earth information is shared. That's what I assumed but I don't have a chance to listen to them side by side. This is similar with the LCD-3 and LCD-4 which I have owned for quite some time. The LCD-4 is better but if you don't like the LCD-3 I don't think you will like the LCD-4 and people exaggerate on the difference between them.
I'm thinking of selling the Abyss but wasn't sure to do the upgrade first, but if they'r as similar as you say I can let them go without remorse as I prefer the HD650.

Well, like I said, that's my opinion - my friend said he definitely preferred the phi (like most people do) but how much better it is, is up to the individual. There was nothing about the OG abyss that I didn't like, so IMO it doesn't need fixing. Some people have a couple of small specific complaints about the original that seem to be addressed by the upgrade (from what I read here).

But, again, I'm not big on critical analysis, but I recognise that a lot of Abyss owners want to squeeze every last drop out of their system, regardless of cost. So for someone who has reached the point of spending 5 figures on their dac and/or amp, or purchasing super duper interconnects, music servers, power conditioners etc to try and get that last % of performance, then $1.5k to upgrade the headphone drivers is probably a no-brainer.

Funny you mention the HD650, as the only other headphones I put on my head that day were the HD650. I'll admit, in terms of bang for your buck, you can't go wrong with those. I tried them briefly off the EC Studio and damn son, those things scale. Why anyone would spend US$10k on an amp and tubes made from parts as rare as unicorn tears and plug a $300 headphone into them, leaves me scratching my head a bit. I will have to agree with Thenewguy007 here - I feel that even a HD650 off the world's best system is still always gonna be a good few steps behind the Abyss powered by even a very modest system. We're all different though.

Dec 16, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #6,242 of 22,405
Well the HD650 does scale, it's scary how well they do. On my current setup after careful tube selection I find it has better and wider soundstage that the abyss with better instrument placement.

Dec 16, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #6,243 of 22,405
a ford taurus with the proper tires can really scale and amazingly handles better than the 100K mercedes

Dec 16, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #6,245 of 22,405
you do indeed!

Dec 16, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #6,246 of 22,405
Well the HD650 does scale, it's scary how well they do. On my current setup after careful tube selection I find it has better and wider soundstage that the abyss with better instrument placement.

How lucky you are,you will never be tempted to buy an expensive pair of HP's since the 650s are better than the Abyss to your ears!

Dec 17, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #6,247 of 22,405
If anyone is interested in trading for a mint condition STAX SR-009, let me know. I wouldn't mind buying but I want to avoid having to get the green light to get one of these. Deluxe package preferred.

Thanks

Dec 22, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #6,248 of 22,405
Based on the comments between the Phi and non-Phi, it sounds a little like the difference between the HD800S and the HD800. Is it a similar difference or change?

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #6,249 of 22,405
I have the hd800s and not the hd800 but am pretty sure that the modification was to soften the treble peak.
I have the phi and not the original abyss but am pretty sure the phi has improved treble extension, some say slightly less bass boost as well.

Dec 22, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #6,250 of 22,405
Based on the comments between the Phi and non-Phi, it sounds a little like the difference between the HD800S and the HD800. Is it a similar difference or change?

I think it will depend who you ask.

To me the difference was not huge, but the friend who's phi I tried (who must be still working on his comparison) showed me his scores on various headphones and I think he scored the OG abyss a 3 or so out of 10 for upper mids (and the phi a lot higher). So for someone who has written-off the original abyss in the past because something about the mids bugged them, it might make all the difference in the world...

It's hard to know how someone else will interpret the changes.

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #6,251 of 22,405

Quite a bit more profound to my ears. :)

Dec 24, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #6,252 of 22,405
I think it will depend who you ask.

To me the difference was not huge, but the friend who's phi I tried (who must be still working on his comparison) showed me his scores on various headphones and I think he scored the OG abyss a 3 or so out of 10 for upper mids (and the phi a lot higher). So for someone who has written-off the original abyss in the past because something about the mids bugged them, it might make all the difference in the world...

It's hard to know how someone else will interpret the changes.

I haven't completed a full write up yet (still drafting). However I wanted to clarify what I was referring to with a score of 3/10.

This is a subjective based assessment based on how 'correct' I found some of the best headphones. I found the upper mids to be harsh, metallic and the greatest weakness of the original abyss and thus gave it a score of 3/10
@mulder01 I don't think I will share the radar graph with the public as it was more to make my own thoughts easier to compare. Plus a lot of people have differing opinions on what sounds more correct so it's really only valuable to myself or those who know my preferences :)

Dec 24, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #6,253 of 22,405
I haven't completed a full write up yet (still drafting). However I wanted to clarify what I was referring to with a score of 3/10.

This is a subjective based assessment based on how 'correct' I found some of the best headphones. I found the upper mids to be harsh, metallic and the greatest weakness of the original abyss and thus gave it a score of 3/10
@mulder01 I don't think I will share the radar graph with the public as it was more to make my own thoughts easier to compare. Plus a lot of people have differing opinions on what sounds more correct so it's really only valuable to myself or those who know my preferences :)

The upper mids were harsh & metallic even with the tube based SFD-1 mkii SE+ DAC?

Dec 24, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #6,254 of 22,405
The upper mids were harsh & metallic even with the tube based SFD-1 mkii SE+ DAC?

It's a problem with the driver. Even on coloured amps it annoyed me. Really only noticeable with certain instruments.

headphones.jpg

Since its Xmas and I'm in a sharing mood.. this is still a bit of a draft. Tone/timbre was purposely omitted.

Dec 24, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #6,255 of 22,405
heh, there it is. I wasn't trying to hold you too firmly to that score, more so just trying to use that comment as an example, because I have heard other people mention in the past that they didn't like the old abyss's mids (for whatever reason). So those people might much prefer the phi? Dunno - hard to know what other people's ears will hear...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back