The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 14, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #6,076 of 22,404
It took 30 hours for mine to start to open up, 100 or more to shine. Before that you will seem to only get sound from a small area..
I have utopia with dhc prion 4s, the vocal is better than 1266 for now
As my 1266phi is a lite version and my adaptors haven’t arrived, so I will compare it afterwards.
But classical is so crazy with 1266phi even it hasn’t run in

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #6,078 of 22,404
How is the quality of the stock Abyss cable that comes in the light or deluxe package... ie not the superconductor cable in the complete package? Do they sound like they need to be upgraded? Has anyone compared the Abyss superconductor cable and the Lazuli reference cable?

Nov 14, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #6,079 of 22,404
How is the quality of the stock Abyss cable that comes in the light or deluxe package... ie not the superconductor cable in the complete package? Do they sound like they need to be upgraded? Has anyone compared the Abyss superconductor cable and the Lazuli reference cable?

My understanding is the cable provided with Lite and Delux cable is the same and termination is at the customers request when ordered. The SC only comes with the Complete but can be ordered separately as well. The standard cable does not need upgrading, I based my decision to buy based on the stock cable.

Nov 14, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #6,081 of 22,404
I will probably post impressions of my 2 week demo tomorrow.

Nov 14, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #6,082 of 22,404
I will probably post impressions of my 2 week demo tomorrow.
Abyss 1266 phi is crazy with classical... the strings imaging is the closest so far...

Nov 14, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #6,083 of 22,404
I bought the lite version as well, still using stock cable. It's a very good cable. I've heard someone (beolab?) say the stock cable is better sound than superconductor. Only prion 4 beat it. I am also interested in Lazuli Reference comparisons as I haven't seen any for Abyss Phi.

Nov 14, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #6,084 of 22,404
Abyss 1266 phi is crazy with classical... the strings imaging is the closest so far...

You should try it with some Metallica! :right_facing_fist::left_facing_fist: Seriously, they've been incredibly impressive with anything I've thrown at them so far. Tonight is the (gulp...doesn't seem that long!) 30th Anniversary of "Master of Puppets" and my head won't stop bobbing! After last night with some DSD Mahler recordings, these headphones truly run the gambit.

I bought the lite version as well, still using stock cable. It's a very good cable. I've heard someone (beolab?) say the stock cable is better sound than superconductor. Only prion 4 beat it. I am also interested in Lazuli Reference comparisons as I haven't seen any for Abyss Phi.

Remember, JPS produces the Abyss and they are well renowned for their audio cables and I'm sure Joe put a lot of thought and care in the stock cable. I'm sure the Superconductor is something really special, but the stock cables are nothing to turn your nose up at (like say the stock cables on the Sony Z1R or Focal Utopia).

Nov 14, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #6,085 of 22,404
You should try it with some Metallica! :right_facing_fist::left_facing_fist: Seriously, they've been incredibly impressive with anything I've thrown at them so far. Tonight is the (gulp...doesn't seem that long!) 30th Anniversary of "Master of Puppets" and my head won't stop bobbing! After last night with some DSD Mahler recordings, these headphones truly run the gambit.

Remember, JPS produces the Abyss and they are well renowned for their audio cables and I'm sure Joe put a lot of thought and care in the stock cable. I'm sure the Superconductor is something really special, but the stock cables are nothing to turn your nose up at (like say the stock cables on the Sony Z1R or Focal Utopia).
I compared it with a Utopia with prion 4s.. the string is just way better with abyss..
But for now.. as it is a stock cable and hasnt run in yet with 1266 phi, that might be the reason that the focal has better vocal presentation

I think there no problem with abyss with gsx mk2..! Using emmlabs dac2x v2 with gsx and 1266 sounds really good on different aspects.. I dont think it is not suitable for 1266 phi.. But maybe tube amp has more colour? I dont know, personally prefer clean no no coloration sound

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #6,086 of 22,404
I compared it with a Utopia with prion 4s.. the string is just way better with abyss..
But for now.. as it is a stock cable and hasnt run in yet with 1266 phi, that might be the reason that the focal has better vocal presentation

I think there no problem with abyss with gsx mk2..!

I found about 30 hours or so and then the sound hasn't changed much since then.

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #6,087 of 22,404
I found about 30 hours or so and then the sound hasn't changed much since then.
mine is just around 10 hours. So more to GO! I just ordered the adaptors from dhc for 1266, and also one pair from my country with furutech rhodium plug.. I dont know which is better, but I will try it both.

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #6,088 of 22,404

Better is hard to say in my opinion, and my best explination is that the Stock cable does not add or hide away anything, whereas the SC can be good if you think the sound from your DAC / Amp is a bit thin and you need some more body and meat to the bone, then the SC is a perfect cable. The ultra fine detail / sparkle hides slightly, but in exchange you will have a richer sound. So for example used with Headamp GSX and DAVE, it can be an alternative.

This is a matter of taste as always.

In my setup i like the prion and the stock, but in other setups i have found the SC to shine with great synergy.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #6,089 of 22,404
I am excited, I am finally fully in line for the Abyss Phi!
Just sent 'em off today.

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #6,090 of 22,404
The ability to play anything and have it sound great is exactly why I chose Abyss Phi over Utopia. I demoed the utopia and the dealer threw the usual gamut at me that sounds great on anything. Perfect recordings like Rebecca Pidgeon and the like. While I do enjoy those recordings, I don't normally listen to them. I was deeply enthralled in the Utopia until the dealer walked away and gave me control of the ipad music server controller. I put on some Led Zep and Megadeath and both sounded very dry. Just not ANY bass where it should be. More classic rock revealed the same. My usual genre, and usually light on bass (still need some to come across).. I can't believe someone thinks only perfect recordings should sound good and be damned anything else. I would never buy anything that makes my choice in music sound worse than ibuds. Great detail with no body isn't fun at all.

I read about the Abyss and it's full body, and after reading many reviews of the same (reading between the lines) I knew Abyss was for me. I ordered without having heard them, because here in Az there just aren't any opportunities.

I'm extremely happy I did. As you said, I can throw anything at them, crappy mp3's to any hi res and it all sounds great, better than I've ever heard in all circumstances. High end gear, imo, should make everything more enjoyable. Not force us into listening to only the best recordings to enjoy it.

I get the great detail, sound stage, imaging and full spectrum of sound that should be present in all selections. Like the Noble K10 I have and enjoy so much for the same reasons. The Phi is just 10x more in every regard. As it should be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back