The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 14, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #6,061 of 22,374
The o2 was 'wire with gain' as well. The 'measurements' supported this claim, yet it sounded harsh, glarey and lacked any real detail retrieval.
I thought after as many years of experience you have under your belt, you would have noticed that not all that measures well performs as such. Also we can't actually measure the really interesting stuff like staging, micro detail retrieval etc..
The Abyss measures woefully, however those of here who looked passed her cover, realised this headphone was as close as we could get to 2.0 without being in 2.0...
Same goes for amps, the only way to assess it is to listen - of course with good upstream, good media, the best transducers..

"The "wire with gain" thing comes in as a handy excuse to blame an amp's ****ty sound on the source."

Almost all my friends who adopted the gsx-mkii have sold it and moved on after owning more gear, I'm not saying you're wrong mate. I'm just suggesting it might not be THE go to amp recommendation these days, I do however, think it not as 'transparent' as you believe.
The BHSE is actually very average, the lack of competition in stat amps is half the reason it's so over-hyped.
The MSB stat amp isquirrel owns is so far beyond the BHSE it's not even funny. The t2/stax t1 are also better than the BHSE IMO. The other reason for the over-hype is the limited technical capability of stat headphones.

Anyway, we obviously like very different stuff, which is great!

See my many reviews of many different amps, DACs and headphones have only reinforced the chameleon nature of the GS-X. It’s sounded quite differently depending on what I’ve had in front of it or what was plugged into it. It’s offered as little of its own character into the mix like no other.

And back to the measurements of the amp, ideally one’s views are changed by the evidence of reality and not the other way arourd. :wink: dead flat FR response and stupendously low distortion are what we are after in an amplifier. If you’re after a warmer sound, then I’d steer you away from the ruthless transparency of the Dave or GS-X.

For my $, the BHSE is only bested by the T2 and most in the mafia would agree.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #6,062 of 22,374
"If you’re after a warmer sound, then I’d steer you away from the ruthless transparency of the Dave or GS-X. But looking at your rig, you did that already..."

nice jab. I'm guessing you've heard none of the stuff I own?

The mafia won't even listen to MSB stuff.. Just endless KG shilling

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #6,063 of 22,374
"If you’re after a warmer sound, then I’d steer you away from the ruthless transparency of the Dave or GS-X. But looking at your rig, you did that already..."

nice jab. I'm guessing you've heard none of the stuff I own?

The mafia won't even listen to MSB stuff.. Just endless KG shilling

I don’t own the BHSE, but I’ve heard it many times and as stated, only the T2 surpasses it. And FTR, I preferred the LL2 to the KGSSHV. :wink:

Nov 14, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #6,064 of 22,374
Sorry.. I don’t understand how it works.. could you take a photo of the backside of 600i?
So You modified the 600i to have a xlr output? Is that what you mean?

I got one DHC Flagella 4x Banana plug to 4 pin XLR adapter for sale for a speaker amp if you are interested.

You connect the banana plugs to the speaker outlets of the amp and the 4pin XLR female to the Abyss 4pin XLR headphone cable plug.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dhc-flagella-reference-occ-litz.861962/

Nov 14, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #6,065 of 22,374
Honestly I think there is nothing to argue.. everyone has its own point as you use your system with this amp is totally diff from others if the other components are diff.
Mi didn’t change any of my machines, but I added ground boxes, changed power cords, xlr, aes and the sound is not even close to the previous setup...
I think gsx or other amp has different sound if you use diff power cord and interconnects.. so I think we should just let it go?

Nov 14, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #6,066 of 22,374
Nov 14, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #6,067 of 22,374
Just got my abyss 1266 phi today..!
Any recommendations on the headphone stand for it?

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #6,068 of 22,374

Congrats! I normally lay them flat in a desk drawer when not in use, but use the Woo Audio stand for them when on my desk.

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #6,069 of 22,374
AF89ECFD-38A7-4E6F-907B-2EB6A468D6B2.jpeg
On my way back home... really looking forward to it!

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #6,070 of 22,374

- Woo Audio HPS-R (That's what I have)
- Silverstone EBA01B (I think I got that right, is another popular option)

BTW congrats! I'm about two weeks into my Abyss ownership. I'm really enjoying them immensely like I don't think I need to worry about other headphones any more.

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #6,071 of 22,374
Congrats! I normally lay them flat in a desk drawer when not in use, but use the Woo Audio stand for them when on my desk.
Woo audio stand? I should try to search for it
Because I think the stand of abyss seems a little bit unsafe.. it uses the headband as the way to stable it

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #6,072 of 22,374
How’s the sound when I haven’t run in it? How long do i need to run in it?

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #6,073 of 22,374
How’s the sound when I haven’t run in it? How long do i need to run in it?

Nov 14, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #6,074 of 22,374
It took 30 hours for mine to start to open up, 100 or more to shine. Before that you will seem to only get sound from a small area..

Nov 14, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #6,075 of 22,374
as far as an amp to go along with the Phi and the Dave....I find that in most cases the dave drives the Phi quite nicely but in the case of some older recordings where the volumes are extremely low my Moon 430 enhances the experience....i find myself going back and forth depending on what I am listening to for the most part....i know that Rob Watts is adamant that an amo robs the dave of its transparency in all but the hardest to drive cases...as he described it 99% of the time

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back