The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 13, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #6,047 of 22,406
I just built a cable to connect the headphones to the 600i. Something like this http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BtPX7tg4Eyw/US-rayySUlI/AAAAAAAABVQ/iA6eHyrGjoE/s320/4Pin2SpadesFull.jpg
Wow... so the end of the cable is actually the plug of speakers, and the other end is
I just built a cable to connect the headphones to the 600i. Something like this http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BtPX7tg4Eyw/US-rayySUlI/AAAAAAAABVQ/iA6eHyrGjoE/s320/4Pin2SpadesFull.jpg
Wow.. really a smart way to use this amp. I saw they have a 600i v2 just came out, will you go for it?

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #6,048 of 22,406
No chance. I got mine for 3K which is half of the new price. I doubt the V2 will be enough of an improvement to justify it.

Nov 13, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #6,049 of 22,406
No chance. I got mine for 3K which is half of the new price. I doubt the V2 will be enough of an improvement to justify it.
wow.. thats really a nice price.
Why do you guys occur the idea of using the integrated amp as a headphone amp?
I saw there is an advance model call 700i also, have you guys tried it?

Nov 13, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #6,051 of 22,406
I have used the Moon 430 along with my dave with my Phi although I tend to use the dave by itself far more....i see no reason why the gsx would not be a fine complement to the Phi

Nov 13, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #6,052 of 22,406
Placed my order for a Phi earlier today. Should be in the abyss before Xmas.

Nov 13, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #6,054 of 22,406
If you search the forum you will find the gsx is not highly regarded for the Abyss. I asked the same question about a year ago.

The GS-X Mk2 is ruthlessly revealing of both upstream gear/sources and headphones. The previous version of the Phi (just the Abyss) was quite impressive, but had some issues with the upper mids/treble. The GS-X MK2 will not "smooth" this over like say a tube amplifier or darker sounding solid state option. The Abyss-Phi have outstandingly articulated mids/treble and the GS-X Mk2 really let's this shine through in full glory. I'm loving what I'm hearing with my GS-X MK2 and Abyss-Phi headphones right now as I write this. Pink Floyd's DSoTM has never sounded better in fact!

I'm comparing this to many other amps I've heard with these headphones (like the Liquid Gold and Wells Enigma/HeadTrip, WA33, WA234) and the GS-X Mk2 is simply magical (like all of these amplifiers)! Please keep in mind that the HeadAmp is also a "wire-with-gain" based design (and the measurements bare this out) and you'll need to make sure your front end is "there" for you too. FWIW, I'm running a Chord DAVE (balanced) into the GS-X Mk2 (and balanced out into the Abyss-Phi).

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #6,055 of 22,406
The GS-X Mk2 is ruthlessly revealing of both upstream gear/sources and headphones. The previous version of the Phi (just the Abyss) was quite impressive, but had some issues with the upper mids/treble. The GS-X MK2 will not "smooth" this over like say a tube amplifier or darker sounding solid state option. The Abyss-Phi have outstandingly articulated mids/treble and the GS-X Mk2 really let's this shine through in full glory. I'm loving what I'm hearing with my GS-X MK2 and Abyss-Phi headphones right now as I write this. Pink Floyd's DSoTM has never sounded better in fact!

I'm comparing this to many other amps I've heard with these headphones (like the Liquid Gold and Wells Enigma/HeadTrip, WA33, WA234) and the GS-X Mk2 is simply magical (like all of these amplifiers)! Please keep in mind that the HeadAmp is also a "wire-with-gain" based design (and the measurements bare this out) and you'll need to make sure your front end is "there" for you too. FWIW, I'm running a Chord DAVE (balanced) into the GS-X Mk2 (and balanced out into the Abyss-Phi).
Glad to know this! May I know what gain option are you using?
I am waiting for my abyss to arrive, hope the gsx is good for it!
I think my source is quite good, using emmlabs Dac2x v2 and wavedream net as server..
TAralabs xlr is really good when I plugged it in!
If you guys have chances to try, please try the 30 limited edition, dealer said it is close to zero gold g2

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #6,056 of 22,406
If you have the GSX, why not just try it? If you bought and use the amp, you must like it right?
I will try it once I get my 1266 phi!! Thank you!

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #6,057 of 22,406
Glad to know this! May I know what gain option are you using?
I am waiting for my abyss to arrive, hope the gsx is good for it!
I think my source is quite good, using emmlabs Dac2x v2 and wavedream net as server..
TAralabs xlr is really good when I plugged it in!
If you guys have chances to try, please try the 30 limited edition, dealer said it is close to zero gold g2

Actually on high gain. Brilliant pairing so far!

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #6,058 of 22,406
Man I thought the wa33 was the best amp of the year. Haven't tried the 600i V2 but I wasn't a fan of the 430 or the 600i (with speakers).

I dislike the wire with gain term. Everything imposes a change on the signal (even the wire lol), it's just a meme thing and doesn't exist. The gsx and bhse both have a signature which to my ears is etched with any good upstream (this was actually discussed very early on in this thread if you care to search).

My advice to those amp shopping is to visit stores and friends with amps and have extended auditions before spending any money.
Al

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #6,059 of 22,406
It's certainly not "just a meme" based on my years of experiences with it and trying many upstream sources or headphones as it's my prime amplifier for reviews for both DACs and headphones. The measurements bare this out as well as I mentioned earlier:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HeadAmpGSXmk2.pdf

Of all amplifiers I've tried, the GS-X MK2 and BHSE are two of the best that offer the least amount of colouration. As mentioned, when I compare the GSX Mk2 with the DAVE vs. just the DAVE, there is no "etch" on either setup and the GSX let's he DAVE's sound play through with just a bit better grip of the drivers due to the 5W of additional power on tap with higher resolution music. But if I put a DAC that sounds bright (or play poorly engineered music) with it, the GS-X won't cover this up and frankly, I don't want an amplifier or DAC that will.

I'm not a proponent of finding coloured gear to tweak to a particular pair of headphones due to the number different sounding of headphones I have (or will purchase down the road). I prefer neutral, clean and transparent.

But I agree with your last comment...auditioning for one's self is optimal.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #6,060 of 22,406
The o2 was 'wire with gain' as well. The 'measurements' supported this claim, yet it sounded harsh, glarey and lacked any real detail retrieval.
I thought after as many years of experience you have under your belt, you would have noticed that not all that measures well performs as such. Also we can't actually measure the really interesting stuff like staging, micro detail retrieval etc..
The Abyss measures woefully, however those of here who looked passed her cover, realised this headphone was as close as we could get to 2.0 without being in 2.0...
Same goes for amps, the only way to assess it is to listen - of course with good upstream, good media, the best transducers..

"The "wire with gain" thing comes in as a handy excuse to blame an amp's crappy sound on the source."

Almost all my friends who adopted the gsx-mkii have sold it and moved on after owning more gear, I'm not saying you're wrong mate. I'm just suggesting it might not be THE go to amp recommendation these days, I do however, think it not as 'transparent' as you believe.
The BHSE is actually very average, the lack of competition in stat amps is half the reason it's so over-hyped.
The MSB stat amp isquirrel owns is so far beyond the BHSE it's not even funny. The t2/stax t1 are also better than the BHSE IMO. The other reason for the over-hype is the limited technical capability of stat headphones.

Anyway, we obviously like very different stuff, which is great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back