The inside of a $450 speaker cable box.
Jun 2, 2013 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17
Here you go. This isn't the first time a piece of high end gear was shown to be utter junk. I know there are some excellently crafted items, but can you really believe that these accessories really enhance the sound when there have been proven shams, like this, that have been praised for their sound? 

This isn't to start a witch hunt, I'm simply sharing photos of a high end piece of junk that I'm sure many people thought it enhanced their sound, when in reality, it's probably dangerous.

Original post here on Reddit

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 17
That junk is just plain offensive, unfortunately there seems to be too much room in the industry for crud like this!
Also unfortunately I'm not surprised one bit that there have probably been scores of people singing the praises of this utter mess..... Wow just wow, $450? They are literally laughing on their way to the bank. Who ever has the misfortune of owning one of these has effectively payed $400 for some hot melt glue, no doubt there will be defenders out their claiming that it's not hot melt glue but some super rare resin with "Audio Teflon" like qualities and super signal insulation properties.

I can just picture it now:
Audio Resin Super Insulating Teflon - Increases signal "flow" for a super silky smooth sound. If your not using Audio Resin you won't believe what's affecting your signal, Audio Resin shields your signal from Infra Red, Ultra Violet, Radio Frequency and even repels Gravity to create the perfect ultra dark, silent and weightless environment for the ultimate Audiofile signal path!
Only $250 per gram. Go on, unlock your systems hidden potential. If you don't then quite simply your a slack jawed, mouth breather pleb.

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
What bothers me about MIT cables is they use the initials MIT to somehow associate themselves with the school to lend some scientific credibility.

This, totally hogwash.

Quote:
Here you go. This isn't the first time a piece of high end gear was shown to be utter junk. I know there are some excellently crafted items, but can you really believe that these accessories really enhance the sound when there have been proven shams, like this, that have been praised for their sound? 

This isn't to start a witch hunt, I'm simply sharing photos of a high end piece of junk that I'm sure many people thought it enhanced their sound, when in reality, it's probably dangerous.

Original post here on Reddit

Hilarious, that epoxy inside is hardened snake-oil. What's even worse is their pseudo-academic papers they publish on their website. 

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #11 of 17
Have either of you guys heard the mit cables in your system? I've been demoing some from my local dealer. Yes they are expensive but really pull a lot of detail from the music and if you can swing the price they really deliver.

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #12 of 17
Have either of you guys heard the mit cables in your system? I've been demoing some from my local dealer. Yes they are expensive but really pull a lot of detail from the music and if you can swing the price they really deliver.

Have you seen what's inside that box? I'm not gonna swing that much for a cable, much less one that cut the cable and smothered it with glue all over and the black box is, in all figurative sense of hte term, a "black box" where I have no idea what's happening in there but assume it's improving the signal transfer.

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #13 of 17

that's the underside of a cockroach, disgusting isn't it. by just looking it seems a complete mess, but under that white fat there is a state of the art respiratory system.

what Im trying to say is that we don't know what's inside the box. the glue keeps the stuff together, what's wrong with that? it not pretty, but it's not supposed to be seen. 

the guy who opened the box could have removed the glue as well, instead of posting a pic of glue and crying snakeoil. ridiculous.

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #14 of 17
what Im trying to say is that we don't know what's inside the box. the glue keeps the stuff together, what's wrong with that? it not pretty, but it's not supposed to be seen. 

the guy who opened the box could have removed the glue as well, instead of posting a pic of glue and crying snakeoil. ridiculous.

True.
There's some glue in there!
It MUST be B.S!
Why else would someone put glue in there? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I agree, this pic is ridiculous, we've learned nothing from it.

Apr 13, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #15 of 17
MIT claims there's a patent (theirs or somebody else's) for this product:  "MIT's Patented Parallel MultipoleTM Network Technology— Provides 8 Articulation Poles for improved performance!"  Anybody track down the patent claim?  At least that would give us a sense of what it is supposed to be doing.  I tried a patent search but came up empty.  Maybe a non-audio related switch patent for networking?  

Update: ah, here are their patent claims.  I've been involved in the patent process for some of my stuff, so I know the standards for patent application review can low (both for function of the patent and how well you explain it...my firm's defensive patents aren't supposed to be readable and the lawyers help with that aspect of the application). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back