Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Jun 5, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #4,036 of 5,538
Nope ... since we can enjoy what we have .

Absolutely I'm just pointing out how expensive seemingly every "chain" is now getting :)

I'm not exactly one to talk because regular price of the Sonorous X that I use is around that same ballpark.. I was very fortunate to find them for about two grand a year ago--including an obviously high-tier silver cable. Not only do they sound superb with the right pairing (and the N8ii definitely qualifies), but it's a bit of a nostalgic piece because their exquisite design was a "no holds barred" last audio product from the legendary founder of Final (Takai-san) before he passed away.
All depends what you want to spend in this hobby
A new pair of Traillii + Orpheus sets you $ 14K further ... 🤷

Jun 5, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #4,037 of 5,538
I wonder if someone had a chance to try the UM Mason FS with the N8ii. I used to really enjoy the experience pairing my UM with the LPGT but with the N8ii, the Mason got a little bit pale, despite of the fact that I like the N8ii timber better than the LPGT. Curious to hear some impressions and debating if I should sell the UM and get the bird or Jewel instead…

Jun 5, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #4,038 of 5,538
In case you are new to the Cayin & missed it, check out this thread from Whitigir. It has great operation/charging tips...and most importantly the specific settings to use to get the best audio quality from Neutron on the N8ii. Set up properly, it really is no doubt the crème de la crème for Android audio apps.

Been really enjoying my re-visit with Neutron today with my DSD media sounding better than ever though it & especially the newly-discovered massive online radio stations like 1.FM's "decades"--quite a few of which broadcast at a very respectable 192khz or higher bitrate.

Well I take that back: just as I finished this the 70's station I'm listening to played "Disco Duck":) haha

Thanks W!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-n8ii-guide-and-tips.962978/

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #4,039 of 5,538
Oooh i get purple lighting with MQA now 🙃.

Now we just need Roon certification and then this will be the perfect DAP. 😏
Agreed. All the N8ii lacks is Roon certification and then no other DAP would even come close. @Andykong is it worth us dreaming of this ever happening?

Jun 5, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #4,040 of 5,538
I wonder if someone had a chance to try the UM Mason FS with the N8ii. I used to really enjoy the experience pairing my UM with the LPGT but with the N8ii, the Mason got a little bit pale, despite of the fact that I like the N8ii timber better than the LPGT. Curious to hear some impressions and debating if I should sell the UM and get the bird or Jewel instead…
I share the same feeling with you. To me LPGT is a better pairing with FS.

With this being said, between bird and Jewel, I personally prefer the bird with N8ii, especially on the tube mode.

Jun 5, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #4,041 of 5,538

Since you were able to audition N8ii with Musicteck, can you do the same with Bird and Jewel? At the end of the day, your ears will be the final judge, and this is a great opportunity to do a true a/b comparison to figure out which one of these IEMs pairs up better with N8ii, plus you can bring micro-SD with your favorite test tracks and play with SS vs NuTube, P vs P+, Class A vs Class AB, etc.

Jun 5, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #4,042 of 5,538
Since you were able to audition N8ii with Musicteck, can you do the same with Bird and Jewel? At the end of the day, your ears will be the final judge, and this is a great opportunity to do a true a/b comparison to figure out which one of these IEMs pairs up better with N8ii, plus you can bring micro-SD with your favorite test tracks and play with SS vs NuTube, P vs P+, Class A vs Class AB, etc.
That’s my idea. However Andrew didn’t have the Jewel demo available, probably in a few weeks. In the meantime I’m trying to collect some impressions…

Jun 6, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #4,043 of 5,538
You are correct. I did more testing yesterday. Since we are not able to see the output sample rate, per Andy's suggestion I was relying on HibyMusic app for a playback of local MQA encoded flac file (used for testing) and streaming Tidal through HibyMusic.

Tidal through UAPP not showing correct rate, but I think UAPP needs to support N8ii in this respect, as you said.

When playing local 192kHz sample rate MQA encoded flac file, HibyMusic shows the correct 192kHz and the final Output decoding shows fully unfolded 768kHz

When running Tidal through HibyMusic, it shows 48kHz sampling rate of the "original" track and then the final Output decoding has 16x unfolding to 768kHz

In both cases above, touch home button lit up with "cyan" color to indicate the correct output sample rate. Thus, hardware is capable to unfold MQA to a full 16x.

When, playing straight from Tidal native app, I have to rely on the color indicator since I can't see the sampling rate, and it is "violet" color, indicating 8x unfolding.

From what I have been told, today (June 3rd) is a Dragon Boat festival day in China, so everybody is off until Monday. I brought this up to Andy's attention and Cayin/Hiby & MQA teams will address it early next week, since it does look like a bug.

Thank for the clarification. We have checked the MQA implementation as Alex has tested, 16X MQA is working fine when you access Tidal Master via HiBy Music App, but the native Tidal App can only playback Tidal Master at 8x. We believe this is a compatible problem, we'll look into this issue and will issue a new firmware to rectify the problem. Can't offer a firm date as we haven't identified the compatibility issue yet but in our experience, we should be able to handle a similar problem in 2 weeks' time, give and take. :pray:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 6, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #4,044 of 5,538
@Andykong

Found a bug with the new firmware regarding "Knob Reverse".

Steps to reproduce:

1. Enable "Knob Reverse".
2. Turn off and power up the DAP again.
3. "Knob Reverse" appears enabled, but volume doesn't increase when adjusting clockwise, instead it decreases (so basically it performs as if Knob Reverse were disabled).

Bug confirmed, we shall include a memory status for the Knob Reverse function in the next firmware so that it won't be reset when the DAP is turned off.

Jun 6, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #4,045 of 5,538
It would be great if we could see the red breathing charging status even when it's charging while off... and similarly follow the preset charge limit while off. I don't know if that's possible without the Android system in operation though. I know that's low priority, but don't forget about it if it's possible:)

Speaking of the red breathing charging indicator, I have a question about that because even when it was on last time I charged it, I was not getting that to show--there was NO light on the home button. When it's charging off I always get a white light.

So basically battery configuration with a phone is pretty simple... I usually have it on "extended battery saver" because I could care less about which apps are getting full battery treatment. However, with the DAP it's completely different story. I don't want to have any processing/application- sapping settings for the battery... but yet I think I may have some option turned off that is required to show that breathing indicator. I've attached the way my current settings are so if someone is in the know tell me if I need to turn something on to get those features (what your settings are)? I have a feeling either "saver" or "manager" has to be active...

Also, is there any way to turn off the consistent nagging messages that starts about 20-25%? 20% is still a good bit of life with a 10,000mAh battery... and it's just one warning after another once that hits.

Capture+_2022-06-05-15-37-08.png

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #4,047 of 5,538
If I remember it right, I have proposed:

Meze Liric
Focal Stella
Kennerton Rognir
MDR Z1R
Denon D9200
And please add the HIFIMAN HE-R10P it offers the same level of excellence in sound reproduction, it's a planar as well using the stealth magnet but closed back hence better bass than the Susvara but so much more efficient at 100db/mW and 30ohms, I upgraded from the HE1000SE to this HE-R10P it is absolutely ecstatic with the N8acii
Please add the HIFIMAN HE-R10P it offers the same level of excellence in sound reproduction, it's a planar as well

Woah...Fang...i know you are known as the "planar" company, but these are really priced a mind-boggling 6x the cost of the same model's dynamic version? That's crazy....

-------------------------------------------------

I have to say, it amazes me how many head-fier's have some serious disposable income at hand--both these and the Jewel IEMs are 5 grand headphones! Then there's multiple pricey DAPS many members have...

All I have to say to that is.: Congrats on your obvious financial success where you can afford to do that...and I'm downright envious of those that can (even if they maybe rip into that credit card a bit too much) :) haha

I have to agree with you. The HiFiman HE-R10P is amazing with N8ii, it is much better than I expected.

N8 with closed back headphones.jpg

Back in CanJam NYC 2018 when Cayin launched the original HA-300, I have the opportunity to try out many TOTL headphones at Cayin's demo room. Among them, I have noticed that Meze, Kennerton, HiFiman and Focal headphones offer very good synergy with Cayin products. These are the four brands that come to my mind when I look for a demo. To experience a first-hand cross-comparison, I bring my Meze Liric and Kennerton Rognir to a friendly headphone shop and borrowed their HiFiman HE-R10P and Focal Stellar. I was hoping that I can borrow the Denon D9200 from the shop on that day but unfortunately the Denon was sold out.

Jun 10, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #4,048 of 5,538
Also, is there any way to turn off the consistent nagging messages that starts about 20-25%? 20% is still a good bit of life with a 10,000mAh battery... and it's just one warning after another once that hits.
So if there is time for wishes regarding an FW update, I would like to disagree with @scottm18 on the warning messages. I think it is of utmost importance to NOT drain the battery down to zero. Thus, I am more than happy with the warnings as they are now.

That said, at least as long as we don‘t have a friendly (no bloat, no ads, no spy) app that would enforce a full Android shutdown when the battery goes below x %. Without rooting, of course. Or is there some trustworthy app around?

Jun 12, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #4,049 of 5,538
Hi guys,
I know this was discussed here, but I can't find the right page.
Yesterday evening, my N8ii shut down on its own, and even after charging it over night (with the charger I always used before), I can't bring him back to life.
Thanks for your help!

Jun 12, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #4,050 of 5,538
Hi guys,
I know this was discussed here, but I can't find the right page.
Yesterday evening, my N8ii shut down on its own, and even after charging it over night (with the charger I always used before), I can't bring him back to life.
Thanks for your help!
Do you know what it was doing before it disappeared into darkness?
E.g.:
- Just playing, thus maybe draining the battery down to zero?
- Playing and charging, thus maybe entering overheating protection? Maybe plus draining?
- Or was it just sitting idle with Android on?

And now, with Android off (as your report suggests):
- Do you get the white home button ring when you charge it? Anything else on screen?
- Or is the screen just dead black?
- What type of charging? Standard (e.g. 5 V / 1 A) or fast (e.g. QC 3.0 18 W)?

I think more details will help Andy to start diagnosing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back