Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Apr 20, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #3,001 of 5,538
Yeah, but their pricing is not saying that....Walkman is selling to the consumers LOL! But you are right. I do see your points. I am seeing the NW-WM1Z M2 is a glorified Zx507 and nothing more LOL
I love my NW-WM1Z Gen 1, but won't leap onto Gen 2. Admittedly, the power output limits the headphones variety, but I found a delightful match...eventually trying the Cayin.

Apr 20, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #3,004 of 5,538
To be honest, I would also value any modified Walkman M1 over the newer M2. But the Cayin N8ii is something else :wink:
I believe you. I have never had a "What the hell is he thinking?" moment with you.

Apr 20, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #3,005 of 5,538
No N8ii reviews on Musicteck yet...

Apr 20, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #3,006 of 5,538
Thank you for your feedback and I understand your answers.

Nevertheless I buy a portable walkman and in my use even if it costs more than 3000 euros, it will be more in my pocket than on a desk.
Personally I have a cowon plenue 2 and an AK SR25. These 2 players do not heat up and can be put in my pocket without risking creating additional heating of the player. I want to buy a better portable player to make me happy and the CAYIN player was a solution for me. Unfortunately, I must have made a mistake because if I really want to use it as a portable music player, which is normally its basic objective, it won't be possible.

As specified in my previous message, I wish the opinion of CAYIN to my previous message.
I just want to add a few comments here
1: Tubes get warm ...they are like the light bulbs in your homes.
2: Tubes need a heater current to generate the electron cloud that is modulated by the music and moves through the vacuum in the tube to produce the rich, clear juicy sound we have all come to love, but without the filament heat there is no electron cloud. Solid state amps move electron through the semiconductor no vacuum hence relatively cooler but the sound not so rich or liquid.
3: if you want the best DAP without the heat from CAYIN please check out the N6ii RO1, it's the closest to the N8ii.
I love them all but I have always wanted tubes in my portable and the N8ii is the best and it's relatively very cool.
I have build tune amps and own solid state ones too

Attachments

• DSC00021.JPG
    DSC00021.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220420_133148.jpg
    20220420_133148.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 21, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #3,008 of 5,538
I just want to add a few comments here
1: Tubes get warm ...they are like the light bulbs in your homes.
2: Tubes need a heater current to generate the electron cloud that is modulated by the music and moves through the vacuum in the tube to produce the rich, clear juicy sound we have all come to love, but without the filament heat there is no electron cloud. Solid state amps move electron through the semiconductor no vacuum hence relatively cooler but the sound not so rich or liquid.
3: if you want the best DAP without the heat from CAYIN please check out the N6ii RO1, it's the closest to the N8ii.
I love them all but I have always wanted tubes in my portable and the N8ii is the best and it's relatively very cool.
I have build tune amps and own solid state ones too
I've mentioned it before. Korg's own Nutube FAQ says that Nutube do not generate heat. It's probably the battery and other amp components that's generating most of the heat.

I think @Andykong has already explained how the N8ii has been designed to draw heat out from the components unto the case. I think that's fine, as long as the unit doesn't "overheat" and stop working as a result of normal operations.

Apr 21, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #3,009 of 5,538
I've mentioned it before. Korg's own Nutube FAQ says that Nutube do not generate heat. It's probably the battery and other amp components that's generating most of the heat.

I think @Andykong has already explained how the N8ii has been designed to draw heat out from the components unto the case. I think that's fine, as long as the unit doesn't "overheat" and stop working as a result of normal operations.

Nutube use LED "filament", it won't heat up like tungsten filament from traditional "glass" vacuum tube
Tube amplification, incluging Nutube based circuit, will generate heat, because the process will drain a lot of current.

For users who are not really concern about the technical detail, they don't need to understand all these, all they need to know is, when you select Vacuum Tube timbre, the DAP is hotter than the Solid State timber, so Vacuum tube option will generate more heat than Solid State Timbre.

I clarify this point repeatedly because I want to steer certain customers away. For those who demands the player to be pocketable in all operation setting, N8ii will not meet their needs. High-end DAP is a niche hobbyist market. We are different from luxury consumer electronics. In my experience, steering unhappy customer away is as important as to attract customer who find our DAP relevant to their needs.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 21, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #3,010 of 5,538
So I've searched the thread and read a review, and it still remains unclear -- does the n8ii amp section sound as good as c9? (soundstage, separation, detail, tone etc...) ? If yes that would be incredible in a single body unit. And what happens when you put the n8ii and c9 together? Nothing? It just... sounds pretty much as good as an n8ii alone? Am I getting this right? They made C9 with a DAC and a processor? And it sounds as good... Puzzling stuff :D

Correct me, please tell me I'm wrong.

If yes, c9 still provides DAP and interconnect rolling to customize sound further. And I still can't imagine anything sounding wider than sp2000 to c9...

Apr 21, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #3,011 of 5,538
So I've searched the thread and read a review, and it still remains unclear -- does the n8ii amp section sound as good as c9? (soundstage, separation, detail, tone etc...) ? If yes that would be incredible in a single body unit. And what happens when you put the n8ii and c9 together? Nothing? It just... sounds pretty much as good as an n8ii alone? Am I getting this right? They made C9 with a DAC and a processor? And it sounds as good... Puzzling stuff :D

Correct me, please tell me I'm wrong.

If yes, c9 still provides DAP and interconnect rolling to customize sound further. And I still can't imagine anything sounding wider than sp2000 to c9...
To me, the N8ii sound better than C9 LOL!!! But the driving power leaves a lot to be desired. I am seeking for an efficient full-size phones for it now

Apr 21, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #3,012 of 5,538
To me, the N8ii sound better than C9 LOL!!! But the driving power leaves a lot to be desired. I am seeking for an efficient full-size phones for it now
Forget the C9 use the Pico Audio Origa-SE and stick in a Telefunken Tube. I had it running with the N8ii and it was definitely an improvement and still considered portable; )

Apr 21, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #3,013 of 5,538
Forget the C9 use the Pico Audio Origa-SE and stick in a Telefunken Tube. I had it running with the N8ii and it was definitely an improvement and still considered portable; )
So this is a new amp from China ? SE and output transformer less. That tube is line buffer ? Or is it output stage ? What voltage rails is it running ? I don’t see much of it from googles and I can’t read much either. It look great though, but the KAEI TAP1 is also an excellent choices as it can act as desktop tier in technical term. However a real transformer output tubes amp is what I do. :)

Apr 21, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #3,014 of 5,538
So this is a new amp from China ? SE and output transformer less. That tube is line buffer ? Or is it output stage ? What voltage rails is it running ? I don’t see much of it from googles and I can’t read much either. It look great though, but the KAEI TAP1 is also an excellent choices as it can act as desktop tier in technical term. However a real transformer output tubes amp is what I do. :)
i ordered the Kaei TAP-1S + PSU. Now stuck in the middle of Covid hell in China; hopefully I’ll get it next week, will share some impressions then.

Apr 21, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #3,015 of 5,538
D7512BBA-0601-43D5-8C53-0A7057D54C44.jpeg
Much better combo then I was expecting since the ZMF VC’s are 300 ohm. Even really like the combo with class A tube, no need for P+ with them. First portable dap I like with ZMF’s but the VC’s love tubes, even hybrid tube. The m15 always sounded sleepy with them and the sp2000 sounded a bit thin with vocals. It’s not my desktop tube amp but certainly something I’d bring to the deck or pool patio.
came here to check if anyone was running ZMF with N8ii and look who I found. thanks again mate. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back