Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 24, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #2,146 of 5,538
One more thing to take Note. I was wrong in thinking that the back of the N8ii doesn’t help much in heat dissipations

Completely wrong !!

Having it laying bare atop of a cool aluminum surface or granite countertops. The N8ii is running a lot Cooler to the touch H/tubes/P+/AB. I do have it crazily heating up when laying bare on my bed, due to the blanket or mattress…whatever

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #2,147 of 5,538
You are spot on, a lot less resolving, and narrower staging. The new AM2 amp module has given it a lot more ohms and better staging, but still somewhat short on that resolving and staging fronts.

I have had them Korg, but at this point in time, it is safe to say that the N8ii is the best portable that has the Korg implemented

I don’t want to hype, but I will summarize it up. The Korg Tubes inside the N8ii is what a good 300B and Western Electric 300B would sound like, at least tonal body and signature wise. That is why I am head over heels for the N8ii Line Out into my 300B amps and 800s. My desktop and portable have yet achieved another level by simply adding the N8ii.

I may come to the point to sell M30 later. The only thing that I am still keeping M30 is because I can add some colorations to my desktop amp by using Korg Line out from M30
The only deal breakers for me that I have to wait and see about is no gapless and clicks. Battery indicator issues make me bonkers too.

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #2,148 of 5,538
The only deal breakers for me that I have to wait and see about is no gapless and clicks. Battery indicator issues make me bonkers too.
I don’t have battery displays issues. But there are other minor bugs that may bother me. I don’t know what clicks you mentioned about, but there is virtually no clicks I have heard from the N8ii

Speaking of transistors click and or physical relays clicks, the N8ii is amazingly quiet when switching on different sample rates, between modes, tracks. Unlike Sony and a lot of other devices

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #2,149 of 5,538
I don’t have battery displays issues. But there are other minor bugs that may bother me. I don’t know what clicks you mentioned about, but there is virtually no clicks I have heard from the N8ii

Speaking of transistors click and or physical relays clicks, the N8ii is amazingly quiet when switching on different sample rates, between modes, tracks. Unlike Sony and a lot of other devices

Unlike N6ii :sweat_smile:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 24, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #2,150 of 5,538
Bug noted, will inform our team to rectify this ASAP.
Also @Andykong I’ve noticed that the battery charging limit doesn’t work. I set it to 80% and it charged to 100%.

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #2,152 of 5,538
What's the benefit from setting a lower % limit than 100%?

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #2,153 of 5,538

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #2,154 of 5,538

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #2,155 of 5,538
What's the expected battery life if using 100% (before notable degradation to play time). I.e, will a 5 year period of ownership see a big difference in battery life between capping at 80% and using full charge?

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #2,156 of 5,538
I have another technical question, looking at the N8ii (or any other DAP) - well - as a computer. Let's assume you have a top performing SD card in it, let's assume it is a big one, maybe 1 TB.

My question is: How well do the N8ii and its Android 9 handle the SD card when you start to accumulate quite a lot of files on it?

I am NOT referring to local music libraries, where EACH track (song, movement ...) is stored as ONE file, e.g. FLAC or whatever. Say you have 100 albums, 10 tracks each, s.th. like 100 MB per track depending on bit depth / sample rate / format. That ends up as 1,000 files with a total of 100 GB. Completely fine, no problem.

What I am referring to is what the streaming services are doing. I know specifically what Qobuz does, not sure about Tidal. For reasons of piracy protection, and enforced by the record companies, they do store everything related to streaming as a vast amount of tiny chunk files - one track is stored as a whole bunch of such chunk files. This holds for cached tracks while streaming as well as for the socalled offlined / imported tracks, but NOT for purchased downloads. These chunk files are tiny, on the average something in the range 1 to 5 MB. (At least last time I looked; they had increased the chunk size at some point in time.) Let's say you offline / import those 100 albums with 10 tracks each from Qobuz, and let's assume an average chunk file size of 2 MB, then they will end up on your SD card as 50,000 files.

That's a LOT to chew on for Android and the SD card. My N6ii literally choked for like 5 to 10 minutes at boot when I approached such numbers. In fact, I gave up on offlining from Qobuz with it.

So, how does the N8ii fare in that respect? Any experience yet?
(And, please, I just would not like to enter a discussion whether offlining - i.e. renting - say 100 albums from a streaming service is reasonable.)

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #2,157 of 5,538
I have 1TB micron MicroSD and a few albums in DSD512 with some good collections that is 90% of the card capacity. I have no problems scanning the cards to play back music. Each time when I have new folders written on the card, I do a specific folder scan and it is all good again

Mar 24, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #2,158 of 5,538
I have 1TB micron MicroSD and a few albums in DSD512 with some good collections that is 90% of the card capacity. I have no problems scanning the cards to play back music. Each time when I have new folders written on the card, I do a specific folder scan and it is all good again
So it works fine for local libraries, even at 900 GB with huge DSD512 therein, thanks. That‘s the one end of the spectrum.

The other end is: What about the multitude of a streamer‘s tiny chunk files?

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #2,159 of 5,538
So it works fine for local libraries, even at 900 GB with huge DSD512 therein, thanks.

But … what about the multitude of a streamer‘s tiny chunk files?
I don’t stream for offline use, so I can’t answer you here :/. I only stream sometimes to find new stuff I may like and then buy it, normally by phone and YouTube’s or Quobuz by phones, not exactly audiophiles quality when I do such. Recently I found some people posted about nativedsd place, which offers the dxd recording as well, and I like it a lot. I used to think that we have to stick to downsampled 44.1 from dxd original recordings. Now, we have a better way to enjoy our music even further

Mar 24, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #2,160 of 5,538
So it works fine for local libraries, even at 900 GB with huge DSD512 therein, thanks. That‘s the one end of the spectrum.

The other end is: What about the multitude of a streamer‘s tiny chunk files?

How many files would you like tested? I only have a 256mb card but I'm sure I could fill that with 10k or so mp3 files spread over 1k folders or so. I'll check tomorrow and give you a scan time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back