Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 5, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #961 of 5,538
Guys, following the current train of this conversation: we're talking about "having tube sound". We're not talking about having a warm sound.

Because for those who think a tube always has to be warm, man... I've got to get you a listen to some Shuguang CV181s.
Or NOS Telefunken

Mar 5, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #962 of 5,538
Cayin knows all about the Tube sound , they been focusing on tubes way before making daps.

Mar 5, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #964 of 5,538
I suppsoe you can agree with me that C9 and N8 are different implementation of Nutube.

If N8 is more "tubey" than C9, does that make N8 is a better headphoen amplifier over C9 immediately?

A good vacuum tube amplifier is not judged by how tubey they are, IMHO.

That be true. Though of course one is a DAP, whilst the other is a portable amplifier. Whilst the following that the N8 had was due in no small part to its nutube implementation: for the first time there was the accessible tube sound signature via nutubes in a DAP. :)

Mar 5, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #965 of 5,538
That be true. Though of course one is a DAP, whilst the other is a portable amplifier. Whilst the following that the N8 had was due in no small part to its nutube implementation: for the first time there was the accessible tube sound signature via nutubes in a DAP. :)
I'm not sure I follow. The N8ii then has, for the second time, an accessible tube sound signature via nutubes in a DAP.

Mar 5, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #966 of 5,538
Cayin knows all about the Tube sound , they been focusing on tubes way before making daps.

This is the reason because i bought the N8, and then the C9, and now the N8II, untill now Cayin doesn’t dissappoint me in the portable tube regards, so i take the risk with confidence :)

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #967 of 5,538
Also, I am still not getting the logic of making a tube dap that by design does not have a salient tube sound.

I can let this slide if it is a relatively affordable dap, but given its high price tag and the difficultly to audition it in the US (as the show is over), it is really risky for people to blind buy it.
Can I extend the same argument by saying I dont need to buy an expensive DAP (with outdated UI) that you have which does not have Android and has R2R architecture similar to much affordable Cayin R01 and Hiby RS6 ? If you can buy expensive DAPs (because you do have $$$$) because of the perceived R2R advantage , why cant other people buy Cayin N8ii ? I think people should be left to make their own decisions, just like how you do.

Mar 5, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #969 of 5,538
Can I extend the same argument by saying I dont need to buy an expensive DAP (with outdated UI) that you have which does not have Android and has R2R architecture similar to much affordable Cayin R01 and Hiby RS6 ? If you can buy expensive DAPs (because you do have $$$$) because of the perceived R2R advantage , why cant other people buy Cayin N8ii ? I think people should be left to make their own decisions, just like how you do.
It is simple. If I buy a dap that highlights certain feature, I want it to deliver it.

If I buy a R2R dap, I will want that organic non-fatiguing sound. That’s the exact reason I did not buy Hiby RS6 because several of my trusted friends here said it is not really R2R sound at all.

If I buy N8ii, I will want it to have a good tube sound. I had C9 before and I thought its tube output does not do much. It is an excellent product nonetheless because the SS mode by itself is very good. So, I think it is fair to say that I am puzzled by the move to make N8ii even less tubey. In that spirit, many of my friends, and myself included, will likely not be able to to hear much (or any) difference between the tube and SS mode.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #970 of 5,538
That’s the exact reason I did not buy Hiby RS6 because several of my trusted friends here said it is not really R2R sound at all.
You should get better friends...RS6 is very much classic R2R sound. 🤭

Sorry for the OT post, I'll leave you guys to argue over the hypothetical tube/not tube sound as I have no horse in this race...

Mar 5, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #971 of 5,538
It is simple. If I buy a dap that highlights certain feature, I want it to deliver it.

If I buy a R2R dap, I will want that organic non-fatiguing sound. That’s the exact reason I did not buy Hiby RS6 because several of my trusted friends here said it is not really R2R sound at all.

If I buy N8ii, I will want it to have a good tube sound. I had C9 before and I thought its tube output does not do much. It is an excellent product nonetheless because the SS mode by itself is very good. So, I think it is fair to say that I am puzzled by the move to make N8ii even less tubey. In that spirit, many of my friends, and myself included, will likely not be able to to hear much (or any) difference between the tube and SS mode.
So, do not buy it, that is your choice. You cannot make that choice for others. I know this is a bitter pill for you to swallow.

Mar 5, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #972 of 5,538
Let's bring it all back. If my long memory serves me, there was a rave reception to N8ii seven short days ago by people at CanJam NYC.

Twister6 is about to have his full report out. Ear Fidelity has lauded it already. These people aren't suddenly wrong, saying they liked what they heard (and reviewers and forum mates have said, here, there is a definite tube sound. This is a fact.)

So I'd not lose it over trying to define what a tube sound means to each, individually. I know I had huge expectations when I heard it.

And my expectations were exceeded. By a tube sound? Yes. But more by the holistic whole. How natural, transparent, and involving it was (with bright and transparent gear what's more, too).

Also by how each tube/SS switch, bias switch, and operating voltage switch I made, changed the flavour. And is changing the flavour more, as I get hours on my demo.

So do expect great things from this N8ii. It does things differently. I'm happy to report, all of them are right, to my ears. I'm very eager for all of you who preordered to get yours.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #973 of 5,538
Man…I have high hopes for N8ii…but with the more impressions, it is getting dissipated. Still excited to witness what the N8ii can offer, even if it can do a wonderful LO with dual KORG tubes toward my desktop, it will be worth it.

The thing about Dx300MAX-TI is that it has beautiful , detailed and flawless highs
In my short audition I felt is was my N8 BB updated. The interface is now excellent and not glitchy ( again only 15 to 30 minutes ). I did not differentiate any huge sound difference between my N8 BB on balance SS mode and the N8ii on same. I am sure it is better had I been home and had more time. I also did not sense any great difference on the N8ii between SA mode and tube mode. No I did not play with all the different settings and they can make a huge difference. If I did not already have my N8, I would jump to buy one. As I have my N8 I will wait a bit and see if there are any glitches, etc.

Mar 5, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #974 of 5,538
You should get better friends...RS6 is very much classic R2R sound. 🤭

Sorry for the OT post, I'll leave you guys to argue over the hypothetical tube/not tube sound as I have no horse in this race...
Hehe, I have not heard it so I cannot confirm or deny it. I chose not to buy it because of my friends who had rich R2R experience said RS6 does not deliver it.

Mar 5, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #975 of 5,538
So, do not buy it, that is your choice. You cannot make that choice for others. I know this is a bitter pill for you to swallow.
How on earth am I making a choice for others? So if I hype a product, I will be forcing you to buy it, and if I doubt a product, I will be forcing you not to buy it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back