The Incoherent Rambling Room
Jan 25, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #571 of 1,250
Semiconductors conduct less than most metals.  They aren't made for power transmission, they're made for logic (0s and 1s).  Superconductors are doubtful to work because they literally have zero resistance, which means if you apply a charge to the superconductor and there is nothing to drain that charge, it will stay charged until something drains it, even just a wire stays charged.  Superconductors are for power transmission.  If low resistance was key in signal sending then the wires would be as thick as possible everywhere, and they aren't.  Going from copper to silver isn't going to do anything but get more power to the destination, it's not going to cure problems like noise.  The cheap RCA cables, and such like that, are proven time and again to be no worse in quality than the expensive cables.  Even for video they are fine, and video is something to easily spot degradation.

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #572 of 1,250
that reminded me of some thoughts i was sharing earlier.

if some people pays thousands of dollars per meter of silver cable, how much time left until we can see headphone being recabled with "super conductors" ...

800px-CERN-cables-p1030764.jpg

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #573 of 1,250

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
what is the best circumaural headphones under $30??

I was gonna say the Maxell DHP II are close but went check the price at amazon ... 79$!!

I have heard the Senn HD202 are pretty decent, but never tried them, might want to read about them, perhaps.

Out of curiosity, why does it have to be circumaural? why not on-ear?

because i never had any circumaural headphones...but on ear would pretty much do if its comfy enough 
beyersmile.png

keep an eye on the For Sale forums here, yesterday i saw a sony mdr V7506 at 30$. you can fins used, but in good shape headphones there and usually very good deals.
as for 30$ everybody seems to like koss portapros.

Not everybody...

I SAID EVERYBODY!! 
angry_face.gif

L3000.gif
L3000.gif

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #574 of 1,250

Quote:
Yes but they dont need to be that expencive if you make them yourself. maybe we will see super and semiconductors used in headphonecabels in the future, just saying. you know, the world is not stuck in time, its still moving forward. no hard feelings
wink.gif

some superconducting cables would be sick! albiet fairly useless, I doubt it would change anything, but it would look crazy, and u could brag about it to all the "true believers"

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #575 of 1,250
Lets says someone makes a headphonedriver thats is able to make sound just by a digital stream then the superconductors would be exactly the thing to use. well if you look away from the price of course. How bitperfect would that be. It`s the future so anything can happen. The daps would definetly be smaller to since you dident need the dac/amp in them.

Quote:

Quote:
Yes but they dont need to be that expencive if you make them yourself. maybe we will see super and semiconductors used in headphonecabels in the future, just saying. you know, the world is not stuck in time, its still moving forward. no hard feelings
wink.gif

some superconducting cables would be sick! albiet fairly useless, I doubt it would change anything, but it would look crazy, and u could brag about it to all the "true believers"

Jan 26, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #576 of 1,250
OH MY GOD.  Superconductors would be useless for sound transmission, digital, or analog.  If the headphone end was digital and the signal was digital, resistance would make zero difference anyway.  For analog you would need the headphone to be enough of a load to be able to drop from maximum voltage down to zero voltage in short enough time to make your highest frequency.  Zero resistance is practical for power transmission, NOT signal transmission.

Jan 26, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #577 of 1,250

Quote:
OH MY GOD.  Superconductors would be useless for sound transmission, digital, or analog.  If the headphone end was digital and the signal was digital, resistance would make zero difference anyway.  For analog you would need the headphone to be enough of a load to be able to drop from maximum voltage down to zero voltage in short enough time to make your highest frequency.  Zero resistance is practical for power transmission, NOT signal transmission.

I have to ask, is that a proven fact?

lol, i got fooled by this article: http://www.jpslabs.com/superconductor_3_jps.shtml
nice model name they chose huh!

but seriously, no tests with sound in superconductors have been made, right? theoretical sometimes isnt enough. call me skeptical 

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #578 of 1,250
I was on another thread and they discussed dropouts in usb cables, which is only applicable when it is below-spec, which most of the absolutely cheapest cables are, now you dont need anything amazing but a decent (as in, more that a 3$ cable, the clock on dacs are very fast, any timing issues are minor, but can be heard according to kwkarth, who I trust) usb cable can stop that (superconductors are way overkill), as for analog, the resistance is negligible so there should be no sound difference, but I would love to be proven wrong.

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #579 of 1,250
Meh, I use plain jane USB from my computer to my Monitor 02 DAC/amp because it's in the digital domain. As for interconnects and the like I use Belkin PureAV Silver stripped of its outer sheething and twisted. It is relatively cheap, 5 almost 6 nines copper (99.9997% pure) and it is continuous cast. Continuous cast just means that the dye is heated and when the wire gets pulled through the copper crystals don't break up and end up EXTREMELY long. I then terminate them with (probably much too expensive) Furutech  FP-126 plugs with continuous cast center pin.

[size=medium]FP-126[/size]

[size=8pt]Furutech FP-126 - Audio Grade RCA plug.

Central pin goldplated (24K) PCOCC
.[/size]

Body made of 24K Goldplated Bronze

Housing in Bronze

Maximum cable diameter: 6.5mm

Now all this is probably overkill but I'd put this cable up against any other cable in the world. Even by the cable nut standards these are good though they aren't sprinkled with copious amounts of fairy dust and snake oil like their $10,000.00 cables are.

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #582 of 1,250

Quote:
Quote:
Hey joker -

Awesome write-up and I always continue to come back to this thread for references when deciding on a headphone. It's helped a lot.

But I have a request now that it's been thrown into the mix by Jude: Skullcandy Roc Nation Aviators.
When you find the time/money/someone to loan these to you, I'd really appreciate if you can review these. I'd love to see how they compare to all the others you've reviewed and to read your take on these. Not gonna lie - I've admired their aesthetics since I first heard about them last year (I've also been on the hunt for some light-weight circumaurals) but alas, I haven't heard many formal unbiased reviews of them.

Thanks again. 
L3000.gif

I just wanted to add that I too think the Roc Nation Skullcandy's are gorgeous...

I mean, come on, how could you NOT love the look of those. But anyways, another guy did short review of them and had some good and bad things to say about them (mostly good) as usual but later goes on to compare them to the Beats in value proposition.

Here's the review - you should check it out if you haven't already.

I think the look of those is horrible. leaving the brand behind, even if they had "Denon" written on the sides, i'd be ashamed to wear them

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #583 of 1,250

Quote:
I SAID EVERYBODY!! 
angry_face.gif

L3000.gif
L3000.gif

OK Everybody BUT me.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Hey joker -

Awesome write-up and I always continue to come back to this thread for references when deciding on a headphone. It's helped a lot.

But I have a request now that it's been thrown into the mix by Jude: Skullcandy Roc Nation Aviators.
When you find the time/money/someone to loan these to you, I'd really appreciate if you can review these. I'd love to see how they compare to all the others you've reviewed and to read your take on these. Not gonna lie - I've admired their aesthetics since I first heard about them last year (I've also been on the hunt for some light-weight circumaurals) but alas, I haven't heard many formal unbiased reviews of them.

Thanks again. 
L3000.gif

I just wanted to add that I too think the Roc Nation Skullcandy's are gorgeous...

I mean, come on, how could you NOT love the look of those. But anyways, another guy did short review of them and had some good and bad things to say about them (mostly good) as usual but later goes on to compare them to the Beats in value proposition.

Here's the review - you should check it out if you haven't already.

I think the look of those is horrible. leaving the brand behind, even if they had "Denon" written on the sides, i'd be ashamed to wear them

You're trippin, dawg!

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #584 of 1,250

Quote:

YOU'RE OUTNUMBERED, MCPROGGER!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey joker -

Thanks again. 
L3000.gif

Here's the review - you should check it out if you haven't already.

I second that sentiment. I loved them for a while. Now that people are saying good things about it... well there goes my wallet.

And what's so great about Denon? OOOOOOOhhhh Denon! meh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back