The Incoherent Rambling Room
Dec 16, 2010 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,250

Olimoronio

500+ Head-Fier
[size=10pt]AKA: The Splinter Thread[/size]

[size=10pt]This thread is basically an offshoot to ljokerl's Shootout thread. Our... well, rambling was going too far off topic in some cases and possibly chasing people away from the thread. I don't want that - ljokerl has put WAY too much time and effort into that thread for a couple of us buffoons to mess it all up. [/size]

[size=10pt]So in this thread basically post whatever you want as long as it pertains to headphones...[/size]

[size=10pt]Got a new pair and want to discuss them? Here you go.[/size]

[size=10pt]Discovered a new miracle mod and want to share it with the world? Here's your thread.[/size]

[size=10pt]Found a new album that is just AWESOME! Here's the place.[/size]

[size=10pt]Have a question about an old pair of phones? Ask it here.[/size]

[size=10pt]I don't claim to have all the answers so I'll just tell you what I like to do and what I'm good at:[/size]

[size=10pt]I really like finding budget phones that are off the radar that perform beyond expectations. So if you have a question about some no-name cans just ask me. I might have them, and if I don't, chances are I'll buy them if they look enticing enough.[/size]

[size=10pt]The other thing that's definitely my bag is modding. Modding, modding, modding. I do it a lot and I'm really quite good at it. So ANY questions you have about modding... ANY at all - just ask.[/size]

[size=10pt]JamesMcProgger has agreed to participate in this thread so maybe he'll introduce himself and tell us what he considers his specialties... 'cause he is [size=10pt]definitely[/size] special if you catch my drift... lol JK[/size]

[size=10pt]I really, really hope that ljokerl will include his thoughts as well... It just wouldn't be the same without him.[/size]

[size=10pt]Anyway, this is meant to be a relaxed and fun thread where you can post what you like so post away![/size]

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 1,250
I had two days off from work.

First i went to the parking lot to find my car with a flat tired, the city had a energy break for 30 minutes, it was 7 pm- fix it until the next day, because i used that small stupid rubber tire and cant travel 3 hours with it. had some "energy in a can" while driving and got to my destination at around 11 am. got a ticket for using the cellphone while driving.... mea culpa. had to go play it and get my driving licence back so i could leave that city :S. had lunch at 4pm and then felt sick and had no dinner.

next day had too much pizza at lunch and got sick again.

on the way back i drove into a f**king hole in the road and another tire blew up. had to change in at 8 pm in a dark road.

I'm back at work.

just trying for the very first time my AKG K240S and i have a freaking grin in my face
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 1,250
If only we could opt to redirect some of the existing threads into this one. In Unix/Linux/*BSD, /dev/null is like a black hole - if you dont want your error messages to appear onscreen when you attempt a command, you might issue a command like this:

cat /tmp/MS1KMod_Thread 2>/dev/null

Of course, you dont try to *read* anything from /dev/null - it would be the human equivalent of pointing your brain at a very large and angry vacuum cleaner.  I hope this post was sufficiently rambling and incoherent for you - I normally post drunk so it may not be my best work.

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 1,250

Quote:
Oli how is the sound signature of the 1600? maybe you can compare it to some i know (i know so few)

also, we like photos
bigsmile_face.gif

[size=10pt]You know, that's one of the problems I have with reviews - I have nothing too well known to compare things to. [/size]

[size=10pt]I mean, I've owned and auditioned my fair share of expensive ($150-$300) name brand phones but they always come up short of what I BELIEVE they should sound like. I think to myself "OK This phone is not that great for $300. Why did I buy this again?" and I end up flipping them.[/size]

[size=10pt]Just in general I'd say the sound sig is very neutral but ever and I do mean ever so slightly leaning to the warm side of the spectrum. That's in the bass to mids actually. The upper mids and highs are a bit brighter but will play whatever is on the recording. [/size]

[size=10pt]The only thing that sucks about phones like these is some of the music I listen to isn't done with the best recordings. Take the Black Keys for instance. Amazingly awesome almost classic rock/bluesy type two man band. Just amazing music. Only problem is most of their recordings sound like they were taken straight out of their garage. So I have to find a less resolving phone to listen to their awesome music.[/size]

[size=10pt]Sucks, they deserve better but it is what it is, ya know?[/size]

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 1,250
Seven posts in and I'm already lost. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread. Modding is hardly my specialty but new phones always spark my interest.

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 1,250
[size=10pt]Well, it started out with a little factoid so I guess I'll continue with another.[/size]

[size=10pt]Did you know, all things being equal, most females can hear better than males? So it's not a bad idea to take a lady friend with you when auditioning gear. She may hear things right off that will take you a while to notice.[/size]

[size=10pt]Of course, it's not a bad idea to take a lady friend with you pretty much anywhere but that's another story altogether...[/size]

Dec 17, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 1,250

Quote:
Seven posts in and I'm already lost. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread. Modding is hardly my specialty but new phones always spark my interest.

See it's cool that way. I can just go into the shootout thread and say "Hey, ljokerl, check out my impressions of phone X in the Rambling Room." Instead of posting a full page of impressions.

I think this thread will level out and come into its own. Right now it's going to have some growing pains but give it time.

And I think just between James and I there will be plenty of new phones to talk about.

Speaking of new phones (well, new to me anyways) has anyone ever heard or heard of the Sony MDR-P1's. Just bought a pair of these today.

BTW, tdockweiler, you are more than welcome as well. You always seem to have a lot on you mind and this would be a great place to post it.

Dec 17, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #12 of 1,250

Quote:
[size=10pt]Well, it started out with a little factoid so I guess I'll continue with another.[/size]

[size=10pt]Did you know, all things being equal, most females can hear better than males? So it's not a bad idea to take a lady friend with you when auditioning gear. She may hear things right off that will take you a while to notice.[/size]

[size=10pt]Of course, it's not a bad idea to take a lady friend with you pretty much anywhere but that's another story altogether...[/size]

LOL....dang it..another reason to become a transvestite...JKJK

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #14 of 1,250
[size=10pt]In honor of this thread I threw in The Black Eyed Peas - Let's Get dumb and the bass on these Creative HQ-1600's about smashed my face in. What the hell did that dude on Amazon want? No bass my arse!!![/size]

[size=10pt]BTW These Sony MDR-P1's aren't too bad. Nothing special but OK. They are extremely inefficient though. I guess they were worth $4 lol[/size]

Dec 17, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #15 of 1,250
OK Here's a question.

Could somebody please explain to me one redeeming quality of the JVC HA-RX700's that isn't destroyed and smashed into the ground by the overwhelmingly sloppy bass?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back