The "I'm excited about..." thread: post about anything that's got you stoked!
Feb 23, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #31 of 51
excited about:

New fullframe DSLR's
Carl Zeiss glass for Nikon and Canon
New Phase1 digital camera backs
New iPad
New macbook pro's (even though i just got an iMac)
drum solo's
chimichurri
slicing my own steaks
TV shopping for my roommates
Studio Monitor shopping for myself
Getting back on my self-education in classic jazz and blues
Yukio Mishima novels
tumblr
spring
backyard bbq's
sparkling water
getting back into head-fi

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #33 of 51
I'm (very) excited about being closer to securing a place and funding for the postgrad studies I want to pursue
L3000.gif

Feb 24, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #34 of 51
Sunlight, I think would be tops
Then Pax East 2011
Then my cintiq arriving
Then finishing my first DIY tube amp, its been all SS up until this point.

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #35 of 51

It's the 120th one ever produced after its reintroduction in 1951
biggrin.gif

The Music Man! Too bad my teachers are the directors and gave the part I wanted to someone tone deaf, but loved by them.

Sounds like when I was in show choir in high school (shh...it's my most closely-guarded secret). Now it's not like the guys didn't try, but a few of them weren't exactly stellar and probably weren't the best choices for solo parts, but there you are. The director liked them, and I guess they had a certain charisma about them that fit the part.

And that's really awesome about your DT48--there's something I find fascinating about really old audio gear. Even if I didn't ultimately like the sound, I'd love one of those old Beyers just for the sake of collecting. I've been wondering what material was used for the drivers on the original and 50s era Beyers. Surely mylar wasn't in use for dynamic drivers so early on, but it seems like a paper driver wouldn't perform so well nor last so long as the DT48's reputation suggests.

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #36 of 51
more than twenty CDs showed up at my door today, and more are on the way, along with some records!

I am getting a really good TT Cartridge, the Ortofon 2M Red, for a really good price!

And because I save the best for last, the non material things, I had an awesome run and weightlifting session today, spent time with my family, and just generally thanked God for life today.

Feb 24, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #37 of 51

Quote:
Quote:

It's the 120th one ever produced after its reintroduction in 1951
biggrin.gif

The Music Man! Too bad my teachers are the directors and gave the part I wanted to someone tone deaf, but loved by them.

Sounds like when I was in show choir in high school (shh...it's my most closely-guarded secret). Now it's not like the guys didn't try, but a few of them weren't exactly stellar and probably weren't the best choices for solo parts, but there you are. The director liked them, and I guess they had a certain charisma about them that fit the part.

And that's really awesome about your DT48--there's something I find fascinating about really old audio gear. Even if I didn't ultimately like the sound, I'd love one of those old Beyers just for the sake of collecting. I've been wondering what material was used for the drivers on the original and 50s era Beyers. Surely mylar wasn't in use for dynamic drivers so early on, but it seems like a paper driver wouldn't perform so well nor last so long as the DT48's reputation suggests.

I admittedly don't have a great voice, but everyone says I have an amazing voice, but the directors kinda dislike me (EVEN THOUGH I'VE GOTTEN A'S IN THEIR CLASSES) and I have an incredibly minor part, one freakin word, but whatever, it's fun.

Grr I was supposed to get the DT48 today, but USPS says it's still in a town relatively close to here. I'm reasonably frustrated/exciteder.

Feb 26, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #38 of 51
Weather here in the SF bay area is pretty damn cold at the moment. Some record lows happening. *Sarcastic tone* Twenty Degreeeeeees! Sooo Cold!

Anyways, what makes me really excited is seeing a few inches snow up on many of the peaks around the North Bay over the past few days, and seeing the forecast tonight... 30% chance of snow at sea level! First time since 2001! It would only be around a half an inch, but still! SNOW IN PETALUMA!

Feb 26, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #39 of 51
Weather here in the SF bay area is pretty damn cold at the moment. Some record lows happening. *Sarcastic tone* Twenty Degreeeeeees! Sooo Cold!

Anyways, what makes me really excited is seeing a few inches snow up on many of the peaks around the North Bay over the past few days, and seeing the forecast tonight... 30% chance of snow at sea level! First time since 2001! It would only be around a half an inch, but still! SNOW IN PETALUMA!

You may have all the snow from my property in SE Michigan (transported at your expense, of course :D). If I added it all up we must have gotten almost three feet so far this winter. I've shoveled the driveway over half a dozen times now, which is slightly more involved than for most people because it's over 100 feet long and about 15 feet wide at the widest point. People who don't have snow think it's sweet and cute and novel. It ain't. It's a bother to shovel, and it's even worse to drive in. You'd think Michiganders would know how to drive in snow by now, but it's like everybody forgets in the nine months between the end of winter and the end of the following autumn. Even if you know what you're doing, you're still going about ten miles an hour on the interstate because the other people don't. And, if you're trying to get to your class on campus downtown, there will inevitably be an accident that makes you late.

So you can have all the snow in my yard--hell, all the snow in my state--if you like.

Feb 26, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #40 of 51
Hmm...I seem to have forgotten I was in the happy, stuff-I'm-excited-about thread, and not the complaining one. Well, I've got something that's really exciting. Last week I was contacted by the director of a company that makes virtual musical instruments (VST, etc.), who had seen some of my tracks on YouTube (using their sounds). He wanted to know if I would be interested in testing out their latest and greatest (unreleased) product. Of course I was delighted, and so I responded back. We corresponded back and forth, and one Non-Disclosure Agreement later, the new product is on its way to my house as I type. Since it's literally top secret I can't say anything at all about it other than what I already have--I feel so important and James Bond-like, being all secretive and stuff. :wink: I'll be able to play around with it for a while, then I'll put together some demos using it. And, of course, for my trouble I get to keep it and, if I'm reading the last e-mail correctly, the director has hinted that there will be even more of these in the future and that I'll be called upon again.

This is all so cool. If I sound like a blibbering fanboi right now, it's because this mysterious product strokes my other obsession (apart from headphones), one I've had long before joining Head-Fi. I'll reveal everything much later on, when the wraps officially come off the project.

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #41 of 51
Here's a photo, not mine, from flicked. I own the machine on the right; I'm about to get the machine on the left. (OK I don't own these specific ones).
I should have seen this photo before I ordered anything. Now how am I ever going to pocket the WM-D6C if I can't even pocket the PCM-D50? Lucky the one I found has its original "leather" case and shoulder strap...
Now let's see if I can't find CrO2 tapes...

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #43 of 51
Windows Phone 7 is proving to be awesome at the moment.

A smooth-as-a-baby's-butt-slathered-in-a-teflon-and-Crisco-mix smartphone OS which does almost (... hoping that improves) everything that I need one to do. And shock horror, I can actually use it for taking calls as well without it going straight to voicemail / dropping it. How about that?

Feb 26, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #44 of 51
In 17 days (March 16th 2011) I join the army, damn

Feb 26, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #45 of 51

Quote:
In 17 days (March 16th 2011) I join the army, damn

Are you volunteering (due to the presence of the term damn I guess not) or are you being drafted?
Anyway good luck and stay safe.
Just knew that a local workshop not far from where I live is still servicing old Walkman machines. Cool. Once I get that WM-D6C I'll bring it there to have it checked out. Always thought that DD meant Direct Drive, as in turntables. Actually no, it's Disc Drive, so belts are still used. After 25+ years of storage I guess the belts are done, but the seller says the machines functions flawlessly. Oh well. Bought the Fisher player from that guy and it is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back