The "IEMs That Significantly Perform BELOW Their Price Point" Thread
Mar 5, 2014 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

slowpickr

Headphoneus Supremus
I started a fun thread several months ago about headphones that significantly performed ABOVE their price point.  Thought I would do one now for IEMs that are extremely over priced for the sound quality.  Not so much concerned about build quality or accessories.  A general example would be a $500 IEM that sounds like it should cost $100.

As with most topics on Head-Fi this is all subjective so no need for arguments to arise.
biggrin.gif
 Thanks.

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 59
UE900:  I would not pay $150 for it.   While the easiest frequency to replicate midrange is improved over TF10....the bass and treble is a step down from TF10.

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 59
Heir Audio 4.ai: To this day I am not sure what the others like about them so much. Performance level at best on par with other 150~200 dollar iems. 

Audio Technica IM04: Performs worse than the IM02 while being more than twice the price. I have heard a lot better for a lot less money.   

ASG2: I could not believe my ears for how bad it sounded. There is a good chance the demo unit that I tried was broken.

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 59
  Heir Audio 4.ai: To this day I am not sure what the others like about them so much. Performance level at best on par with other 150~200 dollar iems. 

Audio Technica IM04: Performs worse than the IM02 while being more than twice the price. I have heard a lot better for a lot less money.   

ASG2: I could not believe my ears for how bad it sounded. There is a good chance the demo unit that I tried was broken.

The 4.Ai isn't that bad...  I'll agree that it was definitely well over-hyped, but for someone looking for a warm, non-fagiguing signature, it's definitely recommendable.  I think most people who don't like it expected it to be neutral...  I actually didn't mind the ASG-2. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 59

The 4.Ai isn't that bad...  I'll agree that it was definitely well over-hyped, but for someone looking for a warm, non-fagiguing signature, it's definitely recommendable.  I think most people who don't like it expected it to be neutral...  I actually didn't mind the ASG-2. 

The 4.ai is not necessarily a bad sounding iem, it is just that many of the sub $250 iems sounded much better to me. The ba200, for example, performed at a much higher level while being warm and non-fatiguing, thus essentially beating the 4.ai in its own game. 

ASG-2 sounded plain weird to my ears. Fuzzy, artificially separated sound. The mid bass impact was nice though but the overall sound was just.......weird.   

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 59
Earsonics SM1 - like a drunk prom date, kinda just laid there. Seriously, I thought they were thin and flat, with no life... (again, like a ....) 

Although I had a hell of a time getting a seal... 

The Earsonics website sells them the $273.. (199 Euros) That is just plain highway robbery.

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 59
Heir 3Ai, was a lemon.

Monster Miles Davis Tributes sounded like music from behind a door.

JVC FXZ100. Total meh hype machine.

All left me disappointment.

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #10 of 59
H20, do you remember the RDB 2v1? It was quite good technically, but man, the overall sound... Worse than earpods. 

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #11 of 59
H20, do you remember the RDB 2v1? It was quite good technically, but man, the overall sound... Worse than earpods. 

Yes, I remember, it was a dud, the bass was ok, mids and highs were fail. What about the ASG-1 we both had the pleasure of owning? :p

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #13 of 59
  Haha pretty sure that was 99.99% defective. Dat veil.

Sounded like someone screaming through a concrete wall. 

I've heard quite a few "lemon" IEM's though ones when I was starting out stick with me the most (as I listed above). Before I understood reading peoples hype comments and 'team threads' pushing a product is just a load of bull dogs poo. Now I'm a little more seasoned I can sift through the BS. 

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #14 of 59
I actually read Swimsonny's review (I think) and he regarded them really highly along with a lot of other people. That was before he was banned for writing paid reviews that is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back