The IEM equivalent of an HE-400/HE-500 with regards to imaging?
May 16, 2013 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Pazz

100+ Head-Fier
     Does any one here with experience with an HE-500 or HE-400 know of an IEM that has similar imaging capabilities to those headphones? What I mean by that is, well, I don't exactly know.
     I'm quite new to the world of audio, and have only heard cheap headphones and IEMs, however, I once demoed a pair of HE-400s and I have to say I was blown away. The type of sound I heard could only be described as being the closest to what I heard at (Kleinhans) music hall. I'm not very sure how I could describe the sound, but perhaps I might say it had extreme clarity and transparency, great imaging, and a very natural sound soundstage. Rather than sounding very deep, or wide in area, it was more "out-of-your-head." It was as if the sound was somehow created by magic, floating in a fantastic space in front of me. 
     I guess this might be a sort of non-audiophile reaction, but back to the question. Is there an IEM that comes close to the sort of sound I am describing? Or even, perhaps, surpassing those expectations?

May 16, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 9
I am in a similar situation as you; trying to find an iem similar to that of my HE400.

Simple answer is, unless you CIEM route immediately, I don't think you will find anything similarly voiced to the HE-400 and even then I still wonder.

That non intruding, present, tight bass with planar mids with jergpads and slight eq with sparkly highs... just really hard to find because of technological differences in planars and iem tech.

May 16, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 9
I am in a similar situation as you; trying to find an iem similar to that of my HE400.

Simple answer is, unless you CIEM route immediately, I don't think you will find anything similarly voiced to the HE-400 and even then I still wonder.

That non intruding, present, tight bass with planar mids with jergpads and slight eq with sparkly highs... just really hard to find because of technological differences in planars and iem tech.

UM Merlin

May 16, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 9
Hifiman Re-400s. Haven't heard these yet but I'm curious to find out if they're voiced similarly to the full-sized phones of Hifiman. Based on descriptions I've read--they do sound like they *might* have a related house sound.

May 17, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
well i just saw an senn IE80 used at 80 dollars and bought that LOL

Woah, where did you get a deal like that? Or was it used?

Anyway, I've considered many choices now, but it seems ciems are a bit too expensive for me (the impressions cost around 180 here!). The IE8 might be a good choice then, although I'm skeptical of the soundstage since many just say it's just really big, but not exactly natural. 

May 17, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #7 of 9
First off -  http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
Multi-IEM Review - 281 IEMs compared (VSonic GR07 BE and R02 Silver Added 05/15/13 p.688)
In case you haven't found these - other places to ask questions regarding portable gear.

If you're prioritizing the imaging aspects of the HE-400s, the EX600s might be worth a look for the presentation alone. IE80s are nice, but you know, that price....

If you're searching for an equivalent with regards to the tonal balance of the HE-400s, the UE900s definitely retains that sense of linearity and clarity within the midrange, dips around the upper-mids for a more forgiving nature, but tops it off with some treble sparkle. Bass, while not as tactile or immediate, extends similarly. 

May 20, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 9
Hifiman Re-400s. Haven't heard these yet but I'm curious to find out if they're voiced similarly to the full-sized phones of Hifiman. Based on descriptions I've read--they do sound like they *might* have a related house sound.

Someone in he400 thread said it sounds conpletely different. Jus so you know :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back