The Audio Lounge
Feb 3, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #5,326 of 35,964
Nobody seems able to save up any more, it’s a buy it now pay later society. Trouble is, you end up still paying it off long after the thing you bought is gone.
People now seem content to listen to crap quality music on an iPod doc or s..tboxes as I’ve heard them called. I have a pair of Harbeth Compact 7 es3 speakers at home and they sound like a giant pair of Andromeda. Every one who here’s them is blown away.
I can understand boarders have cheap earphones, they’re always breaking em and their screens lol.
I gave my eldest son a pair of IT03s, he loves em and wants to get the Ibasso DX200. He’s very content with the IT03, I have a pair also and think they are great.
Hope you boys do well at college, they might treat dad to some nice head gear when they’ve made it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #5,328 of 35,964
The eagle has landed. And it is good. Very very good. 20180203_213306.jpg

Feb 3, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #5,329 of 35,964
Sorry if some of my posts are messed up, I’m using my iPhone at the moment and tomorrow I think I’m going to nail it to a tree. Ever since the latest update, it’s crap!! Last iPhone I’ll ever have:angry:

Android welcomes you with welcome arms. :p

The eagle has landed. And it is good. Very very good.

Happy for you! Still waiting for my PM6....

Feb 4, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #5,330 of 35,964
Yep, looks like I’ll be learning how to use Android. Been using an iPhone for years, so not looking forward to it but can’t stand how Apple seem to make the older phones almost unusable and the prices of the newer models are unbelievable. I don’t mind paying for IEMs,DAPs as I use them a lot more than a phone!! Music makes me happy, a mobile phone doesn’t, so, spend less on a phone and more on some of the stuff on this thread eh :stuck_out_tongue:

Feb 4, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #5,331 of 35,964
Yep, looks like I’ll be learning how to use Android. Been using an iPhone for years, so not looking forward to it but can’t stand how Apple seem to make the older phones almost unusable and the prices of the newer models are unbelievable. I don’t mind paying for IEMs,DAPs as I use them a lot more than a phone!! Music makes me happy, a mobile phone doesn’t, so, spend less on a phone and more on some of the stuff on this thread eh :stuck_out_tongue:

I'd suggest the LG V30 as one to look at (through Carphone Warehouse in the UK). Very good phone, excellent battery and the sound with their quad DAC is comparable or better to the mid-tier DAPs I've used recently (Opus #3, Echobox Explorer and a free others). 2Vrms output for driving over ear cans as well in high impedance mode. Actually drive my Elears to full capacity. Very good attempt at a convergence device.

Feb 4, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #5,332 of 35,964
I'd suggest the LG V30 as one to look at (through Carphone Warehouse in the UK). Very good phone, excellent battery and the sound with their quad DAC is comparable or better to the mid-tier DAPs I've used recently (Opus #3, Echobox Explorer and a free others). 2Vrms output for driving over ear cans as well in high impedance mode. Actually drive my Elears to full capacity. Very good attempt at a convergence device.
Thanks for that, I’ll have a look. I was also thinking of the 1plus5t, don’t really use my phone for music anymore, but I guess with a new phone, new operating system that could change. More musical choices = more happiness :ksc75smile:

Feb 4, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #5,333 of 35,964
Thanks for that, I’ll have a look. I was also thinking of the 1plus5t, don’t really use my phone for music anymore, but I guess with a new phone, new operating system that could change. More musical choices = more happiness :ksc75smile:

No worries - it's surprised me just how good the Sabre 9228 DAC chip in the V30 is, combined with a decent power output. Does make me wonder why other phone manufacturers can't manage this sort of quality output.

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #5,334 of 35,964

I second, third and fourth this statement. I'm glad to have a full android device with a DAC. Even drives power hungry gear remarquably well.

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #5,335 of 35,964
Android welcomes you with welcome arms. :p

Happy for you! Still waiting for my PM6....

Will do a side by side comparison between the PM6, U8 and R1 sometime next week... Right now, the PM6 is a good third from what I recall listening to all three. But I listened to the R1 for 10 minutes. :wink:

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #5,336 of 35,964
Will do a side by side comparison between the PM6, U8 and R1 sometime next week... Right now, the PM6 is a good third from what I recall listening to all three. But I listened to the R1 for 10 minutes. :wink:

Im sure it is! Just thinking of selling it if I can, wanna fund a desktop DAC or DAP. Need something portable to pair with my Hermes.

Feb 4, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #5,337 of 35,964
I have a pair of Harbeth Compact 7 es3 speakers at home and they sound like a giant pair of Andromeda. Every one who here’s them is blown away.

I've been thinking I'd like to try to find a small portable pair of speakers for use around the house. Something about 15-25cm tall, like computer speakers, but ideally with a woofer built in and no massive extra subwoofer speaker (I want a reasonable amount of non-muddy bass, but no more than that; living in an apartment, don't want to annoy the neighbours with bass thuds and sub-bass) :)

Anyone got any suggestions? Ideally around £50 - £150. Should ideally be ones I can plug in (rather than with batteries) or at least recharge, and be suitable to plug the DX200 into as a source. Possibly the Schitt Modi/Magni combo too, just in case I cave in and get them later too :p

@KEV G when I saw your comment above, I had in my mind exactly what I'm discussing above.
I thought "oh, a set of compact speakers that sound good! With any luck, they'll be cheap too!"
So I googled them, and had to laugh at my hopeless optimism :D
~£2.3K and rather more substantial than the small units I was envisioning! Not that I'd turn down a pair, obviously :p

Feb 4, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #5,338 of 35,964
Oh, and speaking of phones, I just lost my iPhone last week on the London Underground.
Been waiting for TFL (train company) to get back to me, but it seems it was stolen and not handed in :frowning2:
Think I've got another phone here I can use, but no idea what to do regarding the SIM card.
For those in the UK, I'm with Giff-Gaff. Have a backup on iTunes from a couple of months back.
No insurance (it's an iPhone 4s!) and "Find my iPhone" was never switched on.
Can I get a replacement SIM card with the same phone number?
Is there anything I can/should do regarding deleting/locking the old phone?
Off-topic, but I don't know where to turn! Apologies :)

Feb 4, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #5,339 of 35,964
I've been thinking I'd like to try to find a small portable pair of speakers for use around the house. Something about 15-25cm tall, like computer speakers, but ideally with a woofer built in and no massive extra subwoofer speaker (I want a reasonable amount of non-muddy bass, but no more than that; living in an apartment, don't want to annoy the neighbours with bass thuds and sub-bass) :)

Anyone got any suggestions? Ideally around £50 - £150. Should ideally be ones I can plug in (rather than with batteries) or at least recharge, and be suitable to plug the DX200 into as a source. Possibly the Schitt Modi/Magni combo too, just in case I cave in and get them later too :p

@KEV G when I saw your comment above, I had in my mind exactly what I'm discussing above.
I thought "oh, a set of compact speakers that sound good! With any luck, they'll be cheap too!"
So I googled them, and had to laugh at my hopeless optimism :D
~£2.3K and rather more substantial than the small units I was envisioning! Not that I'd turn down a pair, obviously :p
I would have suggested these-
http://store.hificorner.co.uk/harbe...HTqsTXRg9WWARFtFpFd57MqCchI-7lqxoCvQMQAvD_BwE
But a little more than you want to spend but maybe something for the future :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back