The Audio Lounge
Jan 21, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #5,251 of 35,682
I know the feeling, went to buy a Boss loop pedal for my son, you know, something basic, not too expensive and about £100-150.00 Well, I came home with a Boss RC 300 !!! Managed to get a £120 discount because it had been returned unopened.
As for New Years resolution, didn’t bother, Vega next :L3000:
So when you think you have too many pedals for that lovely bass guitar, you know what to do.... buy one of those fancy flight cases they can be permanently housed in and then buy some more :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Awesome to hear! Haha loop pedals are a must for most guitarists. I already have a board, just building on it. Been eyeing for a solid DI + dual channel preamp, need that overdrive tone as well. Finally found one but man is it expensive. About 400AUD. The things we do for good tone... The same with our audio "addictions".

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #5,252 of 35,682
Awesome to hear! Haha loop pedals are a must for most guitarists. I already have a board, just building on it. Been eyeing for a solid DI + dual channel preamp, need that overdrive tone as well. Finally found one but man is it expensive. About 400AUD. The things we do for good tone... The same with our audio "addictions".

Yep, spot on about our audio addictions but when it’s kit for your guitar or whatever instrument you play, it’s a necessity. It’s a bit like the comment a famous Liverpool football club manager (Bill Shankley)-
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #5,253 of 35,682
I had the v1 of the Magni, Modi and Vali back when. For the money, they were great. I wanted to go up the chain and sold them and got the Lyr 2 and Bimby. The newer Magni 3 is a great value. Pushes some serious output for cheap money. You'd be hard pressed to get a better value. I think the new Modi is also pushing up against the Bimby, great value for what it can offer. I love Schiit stuff.
The reply from yourself and @OldDude04 made me realise my mistake. Modi is the DAC, not Magni.
I've just checked on their website and I can confirm it was the Modi 2 (Multibit version) with a Vali 2 Amp.
And it sounded amazeballs.
And was $400, not £400 (although due to the way US products get priced in the UK, it may well still be £400 lol).
I didn't get the chance to try it with the Magni 3 amp, but yes, that looks amazing too and is $50 cheaper :D

Argh.. my finances..
Make it stop, make it stop!! :disappointed_relieved::beyersmile:

Jan 21, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #5,254 of 35,682
Well, love the look of the IMR. I too have never been a fan of the swappable filters but like the idea of customization. I really want the Andromeda so must ignore all others for a while. The Ibasso IT04 is due out soon, maybe. So there's that.

So as the rabbit hole goes, that stupid car audio gnat has been buzzing in my ears. Wife caught me mapping a car system on paper and gave me major stink-eye.

I don't need anything except these new speakers. I don't need anything except these new speakers and an amp. I don't need anything except these new speakers, that new amp and and parametric eq.....

Hope the rabbits have some room down there.

oh, you also don't need that moscroni 6to8 or a JBL 15in sitting in my garage. you don't need any of that.

See, i'm not an enabler, i'm a friend...

Jan 22, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #5,256 of 35,682
Just by way of a diversion, I remember at London CanJam last year I listened to an entry(ish) level DAC/Amp combo from Schiit.
The units were very compact - desktop, but transportable for extended holidays or whatever.
Don't recall seeing them mentioned on this thread much, but I listened to (if I recall correctly) a Magni DAC - possibly the multibit one - and a Vali tube amp.
Total price of the stack came to about £400. Plugged my IEM's in using an adaptor, and was HUGELY impressed by the sound.

I mention it because it's been 6 months or so now, and I still think about that set up frequently.
It was as good (to me) as any of the £3'000 DAP's I heard there.
Anybody else heard that particular set up (or another Schiit one of similar price)?
I have a lot of time for that company and their good attitude, it just occurred to me I never really saw them mentioned here much.
Although that might be due to the 'official' thread title of the IEM Lounge lol.
Just wondered what you all thought about them? :)
I have that combo at home (though not the multibit Magni, just the Uber version), sounds great whether powering IEMs or using as a pre amp on my powered speakers. My laptop plugged into that stack is my current home audio system as I need something compact, no complaints on quality.

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #5,257 of 35,682
The reply from yourself and @OldDude04 made me realise my mistake. Modi is the DAC, not Magni.
I've just checked on their website and I can confirm it was the Modi 2 (Multibit version) with a Vali 2 Amp.
And it sounded amazeballs.
And was $400, not £400 (although due to the way US products get priced in the UK, it may well still be £400 lol).
I didn't get the chance to try it with the Magni 3 amp, but yes, that looks amazing too and is $50 cheaper :D

Argh.. my finances..
Make it stop, make it stop!! :disappointed_relieved::beyersmile:
Yeah, my finances haven't been in a good state for.....you know, just look at the join date and figure out time from then to now :D

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #5,258 of 35,682
A friend of mine is going to pick up the CA Vega for me when he goes to the states and thinks I’m crazy spending over £900 on some earphones. He then tells me he is selling his old Rangerover and buying a BMW I3, he was reluctant to tell me how much. I finally got it out him..£20,000.00
How I laughed, but his wife isn’t :ksc75smile:

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #5,263 of 35,682
I've really got to stop reading this forum, thanks to you guys I've just ordered one of Bob's B Stock R1s.

On the plus side really looking forward to trying these out, will be coupling with my LG V30 out and about and my Modi/Vali stack at home.

Congrats. :) Hope yours doesn't get stuck in shipping limbo like mine...

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #5,265 of 35,682
To be fair mine only has to go around 150miles and cross no large bodies of water. Having said that my GET was posted from Montreal 5 days ago and should be delivered today, and that's only the rough return journey of what your R1 is doing.

Yeah, seems like customs here has been backlogged since christmas and hasn't recovered. Seems like the opposite route is much smoother. :wink: My R1 was shipped on the 12th and has been in customs since Jan 14th.

Post your impressions of the Get please. I have to say that my device is great. Issue is with sensitive IEM's, the hiss is sort of annoying. On my more powerful gear, it's great though. I really wish they added a gain switch on the device...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back