The Audio Lounge
Jan 20, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #5,221 of 35,988
I forget to listen to some of my desktop gear sometimes. Some of the IEMs I have are so captivating that they make me ignore everything else. I got back to the other stuff a little when I got the NightOwls recently. For kicks, I put on the Ether through the Lyr2 and Bimby. Damn, some fine sounding stuff. Listening to some local guys, O Positive and some older REM. Just superb sounding. Got to get more time to sit in front of my desktop gear...

BTW, it's getting a little weird here. I've been looking around to see what things around the house I could sell to get me into the Andromeda sooner. Wife caught on to what I was doing and put me right. Feel like a someone whose hankering for that next hit and is willing to sell off his children. It's terrible. Damn hobby. I may need professional help...

Jan 20, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #5,222 of 35,988
See, I actually kinda like that model; if I don't like it, I'll sell it and buy something else. One could argue that it's just a really long way about getting to what you're looking for, but at the same time, you get that much more experience with more products. Like some say, it's about the journey, not the destination. Except I'd say that the destination's important too, but don't be so focused on it that you miss the journey :wink:

I guess for you, there's the argument that you won't need to buy so many products to find what you want, but then you get the itch and you buy more new stuff anyway! You're sticking to your new year resolution pretty well so far though; almost 3 weeks and counting! :D

I could see that side of it as well. I just get tired of visiting USPS and UPS to send things back, lol.

Jan 20, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #5,223 of 35,988
The Trinity Atlas are the only interchangeable filter IEMs I have used. Not a huge fan of filters. They mostly benefit the manufacturer. I usually read IEM reviews to get a feel for the sound quality. Multiple filters make for more difficult sonic reviews.

Glad my Atlas don't have to sound like the red (big bass, V shape) filters that was on them when shipped. But, to be fair, I would never have purchased unfiltered IEMs with this tonal balance. I just want to hear the music like it really sounds. No idea what that frequency response graph would look like.

Jan 20, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #5,224 of 35,988

@OldDude04
I know you were big into car audio back when. Do you still have good gear in your car now? What are you using if you do? I'm wondering as I need to replace some speakers in my Passat (they suddenly took a turn) and was looking to see if you kept a pulse and what sounds good in this day. I have used Alpine, MB Quart, JBL, Rockford Fosgate and Boston Acoustics in the past. I'll probably replace them all and keep the head unit and forgo the sub...

Jan 20, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #5,225 of 35,988

@OldDude04
I know you were big into car audio back when. Do you still have good gear in your car now? What are you using if you do? I'm wondering as I need to replace some speakers in my Passat (they suddenly took a turn) and was looking to see if you kept a pulse and what sounds good in this day. I have used Alpine, MB Quart, JBL, Rockford Fosgate and Boston Acoustics in the past. I'll probably replace them all and keep the head unit and forgo the sub...

It's funny you ask that, in November I just replaced the speakers in my car due to some age and 1 blown component. On a friend's recommendation, I went with some Infinity speakers from their KAPPA line and I'm very happy. They sound pretty damn good, and won't break the bank (I got mine from Amazon).

Jan 20, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #5,226 of 35,988
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into them and see what fits.

Jan 20, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #5,227 of 35,988
It's funny you ask that, in November I just replaced the speakers in my car due to some age and 1 blown component. On a friend's recommendation, I went with some Infinity speakers from their KAPPA line and I'm very happy. They sound pretty damn good, and won't break the bank (I got mine from Amazon).
Used to love their 6X9 with Emit tweeter. Sold a ton of those and the separate Emit tweeters with crossovers. Then the "eggshell" models hit the market. Sigh.

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #5,229 of 35,988

Can I ask if your tuning or just plug and play.

I shouldnt havr asked. Dont want to lead you down another rabbit hole :wink:

Edit. crap quoted the wrong person.

@Richsvt

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #5,230 of 35,988
Yeah, that's a rabbit hole that I can NOT revisit. I am looking to do plug and play. Just a swap out of the factory paper cones for something better. The factory ones seemed to have given up their ghost. I have been in the car audio competition scene many years ago and while it was fun, it proved to be way more expensive than I could have imagined. Just trying to get some good tunes while I commute. Maybe add a small 4-channel amp to overcome the HU eq-tuning settings.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #5,232 of 35,988
Why is Audeze playing with my emotions? They are making my resolution hard to stick to and I'm not even out of January yet, lol.
I was so very close to ordering a pair of iSine20 on the first days of January... I read, and read and read about it. Then watched some videos. Then read again.

There seem to be some "hate it or love it" feelings about them, but I mostly read they benefited from the lightning DAC, while I almost never listen through my phone. On top of that, the previous iteration of the iSine lineup look so much better than the LX IMO.

To get rid of that spending itch, I got an IMR-R1 and do not regret any single second about it :wink:

Maybe the safest bet would be to wait for reviews of the iSine LX to come in

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #5,233 of 35,988
I was so very close to ordering a pair of iSine20 on the first days of January... I read, and read and read about it. Then watched some videos. Then read again.

There seem to be some "hate it or love it" feelings about them, but I mostly read they benefited from the lightning DAC, while I almost never listen through my phone. On top of that, the previous iteration of the iSine lineup look so much better than the LX IMO.

To get rid of that spending itch, I got an IMR-R1 and do not regret any single second about it :wink:

Maybe the safest bet would be to wait for reviews of the iSine LX to come in

Yeah, I think if I were to buy any IEM soon, it'd be the R1. I'm really liking the pair I'm using now.

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #5,234 of 35,988
Jan 21, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #5,235 of 35,988
Just by way of a diversion, I remember at London CanJam last year I listened to an entry(ish) level DAC/Amp combo from Schiit.
The units were very compact - desktop, but transportable for extended holidays or whatever.
Don't recall seeing them mentioned on this thread much, but I listened to (if I recall correctly) a Magni DAC - possibly the multibit one - and a Vali tube amp.
Total price of the stack came to about £400. Plugged my IEM's in using an adaptor, and was HUGELY impressed by the sound.

I mention it because it's been 6 months or so now, and I still think about that set up frequently.
It was as good (to me) as any of the £3'000 DAP's I heard there.
Anybody else heard that particular set up (or another Schiit one of similar price)?
I have a lot of time for that company and their good attitude, it just occurred to me I never really saw them mentioned here much.
Although that might be due to the 'official' thread title of the IEM Lounge lol.
Just wondered what you all thought about them? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back