The Audio Lounge
Dec 10, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #4,981 of 35,676
Today I received my HifiMan ef5 amp. I’m really enjoying listening to the differences between this and the Burson soloist sl I received the other day. There is some burn in required but initial impressions it is warmer with good tonality. Bass is really nice has good impact but not as tight as the Burson. If that makes any sense. The mids are not recessed and very enjoyable. There is plenty of detail in the treble with no sibilance. Don’t get me wrong the Burson is very nice as well, just a bit different. It has a larger sound stage, good bass that is tighter but just not as much impact as the Hifiman. The mids are just as nice and the treble has more detail along with zero sibilance.

Describing the sound is new to me so most likely I'm not doing any justice here. Again this is just my initial impressions with only a handful of hours of listening. I have no regrets with these purchases and looking forward to many more hours of joyful listening sessions.
You did a fine job describing the sound signature. Enjoy the listening.

Dec 10, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #4,982 of 35,676
So, after 1.5 months of mucking around with Bragi support they've finally admitted that my Dash are DOA. I'm really not happy because they're making me pay the shipping to get them there. I could understand if it was just a warranty repair, but these are DOA and messing around with their support pushed it out beyond Massdrop's 30 days.

These were supposed to be a replacement gift for my Wife's Trinity Airs that never came. So we're 2 for 2...

I also got some DOA Parrot Zik 2s last week. But at least they're paying for shipping.

Grrrr.

Dec 11, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #4,985 of 35,676
I would but the international shipping is such a killer. :/ And I'm saving up for other things.

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #4,986 of 35,676
So, after 1.5 months of mucking around with Bragi support they've finally admitted that my Dash are DOA. I'm really not happy because they're making me pay the shipping to get them there. I could understand if it was just a warranty repair, but these are DOA and messing around with their support pushed it out beyond Massdrop's 30 days.

These were supposed to be a replacement gift for my Wife's Trinity Airs that never came. So we're 2 for 2...

I also got some DOA Parrot Zik 2s last week. But at least they're paying for shipping.

Grrrr.
So far, seems simpler is better. I've had almost no issue with my Bragi Headphone.

On a similar note, I received my Zolo Liberty+ over the weekend. They certainly sound better than the Headphone, with a v-shaped sound. Couple of minor nitpicks first:
- The color of the logo is orange on the IEM rather than the proposed gold. They got the gold color right on the accents for the charging case.
- The case uses 3 LED lights for indication on charge. Why not a logical 4 LEDs? And I have no idea how to actually activate them to see the charge other than to slap it with my finger, though to be fair, I didn't look in the instructions beyond basic operation of the IEMs :p. Maybe there's something in there about it, I'll have to look later.
- The charging case cavity for where the eartip sides go aren't deep enough for other tips. Ideally, I'm using these with Spinfits; for once, it's actually a wonder to me that tips make a dramatic enough change. Usually, tips are a comfort/fit thing for me, which incredibly minor alterations to sound, but in this case, Spinfits create a better seal and comfort and also gives tighter bass and clearer highs. But I can't fit them in the case if I leave them on. So my solution is to take the tips off and jam them into the empty cavities near the IEMs after they're on the charging contact in the case :p. For me, listening with these is a "some assembly required situation.
- Minimum volume on these is still too loud for me for quiet listening. I'm on 1 click on the BT volume for these on my iPod Touch. About half of this would be sufficient for listening in a quite area

Big issues are what make me less happy with these:
- HUGE. Like, I was hoping that these were smaller than they actually are. They are exactly as large as they seem in promotional material. So I guess technically that's not their fault in design, I just thought they looked big in the marketing material for photoshopping reasons. But they really are massive. They're about the same size as the universal shells for TOTL Nobles. Except it still doesn't fit as well as the universal noble shells.
- No volume adjustment functions on the IEMs themselves. They have the usual play/pause/next, but no volume adjustment.
- Potential weird pairing issues. I got it paired this morning for my commute and was able to listen to music, but it wouldn't adjust volume no matter how many volume clicks my iPod showed. Luckily, it was playing at a level I was generally happy with, but it was weird. Halfway through my commute, it disconnected. I got it to reconnect again and this time, it came back fully functioning and able to adjust volume.
- Transparency mode sucks. I tested transparency mode for the Bragi Headphone by turning it on and snapping my fingers; sounded fine. I turned transparency on the Liberty+ and snapped my fingers and it sounded kind of a wet slap: like a cross between a finger snap and that sound you get by popping your finger out of your mouth. Good thing I don't really need transparency mode all that often.

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #4,987 of 35,676
I tested out the Liberty+ for a brief while after charging them to verify they work before gifting them.

The SQ was decent. Not exactly clear or well detailed, but had a good V shape with nice bass extension. Definite veil on everything from 1-3k. They paired quickly and effortlessly.

Not having the same kind of fit issues. In fact I just used the same grip sleeves it came with and they fit/sealed perfectly.

Agreed on the transparency being worthless for anything other than avoiding being hit by a truck. It's muffled and delayed, so having a conversation would be tough.

I didn't have a problem with volume levels. I've got the BT from my LG v20 at around 3/4 with them.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #4,990 of 35,676
Good morning guys. I just posted this over in the Shanling M3s thread. But I thought I would post it hear for y'all as well. This is about the clicking and static sound you get if your cell phone is too close to your DAP/radio/speaker/whatever.

I know we talked about it briefly before, but since I have always wanted to do a quick write-up about it, I thought I would share it here for my friends.

Discontinuous Transmit

I am a Radio Frequency Engineer since 1994, and have a BS in Electrical Engineering. The static or clicking sound that is heard on DAPs, radios, speakers, etc. can be attributed to a phenomena called Discontinuous Transmit. Mobile phones will turn their transmitters on and off during the sending of data to and from the tower. It will usually have a repeating pattern like this. Transmit – Receive – idle – repeat. That is why it is called discontinuous transmit. Because the phone transmitter turns on and off very quickly; it doesn’t transmit continuously.

Modulation schemes that are time based like Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) or Quadrature Amplitude Modulation (QAM 64, QAM 128) the phone will send short bursts of Radio Frequency energy in an on/off format for digital ones and zeros. Those bursts of discontinuous transmit can cause a third order harmonic that is in the audible range. That third order harmonic has such power and amplitude that the magnetic field induces the frequency into the electronics if they are close enough to the source. That is the reason that one can hear clicking and static-like artifacts in your music while being close to a phone.

If the phone is just sitting idle, it still needs to communicate to the towers periodically to update location information and other hand-shaking information. If the phone is in an active data session or phone call, the noise should be more consistent.

To reduce the effects of discontinuous transmit, you can separate your mobile phone from your DAP. Simply moving it to different pockets if you are carrying them together. Or move them 6 to 8 inches apart should be enough if sitting on a desk.

Regarding bluetooth and wifi: I am positive that this is an issue with cellular phones, but I'm not positive about the effects of wi-fi and bluetooth. The harmonics that are generated are a product of all the frequencies involved and the frequency of the on-off transmissions. To figure out if it is an issue, one has to take all of the transmitting frequencies, receive frequencies, on-off transmission frequency and complete Fourier transforms on them. Then identify the 3rd order harmonic products. If those 3rd order harmonic products are in the audible range, then it can be an issue.

Since it has been 20 years or more since I've done Fourier transforms, I will leave this evaluation to some younger people who are closer to their college math than I am. :)

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #4,991 of 35,676
Good morning guys. I just posted this over in the Shanling M3s thread. But I thought I would post it hear for y'all as well. This is about the clicking and static sound you get if your cell phone is too close to your DAP/radio/speaker/whatever.

I know we talked about it briefly before, but since I have always wanted to do a quick write-up about it, I thought I would share it here for my friends.

Discontinuous Transmit

I am a Radio Frequency Engineer since 1994, and have a BS in Electrical Engineering. The static or clicking sound that is heard on DAPs, radios, speakers, etc. can be attributed to a phenomena called Discontinuous Transmit. Mobile phones will turn their transmitters on and off during the sending of data to and from the tower. It will usually have a repeating pattern like this. Transmit – Receive – idle – repeat. That is why it is called discontinuous transmit. Because the phone transmitter turns on and off very quickly; it doesn’t transmit continuously.

Modulation schemes that are time based like Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) or Quadrature Amplitude Modulation (QAM 64, QAM 128) the phone will send short bursts of Radio Frequency energy in an on/off format for digital ones and zeros. Those bursts of discontinuous transmit can cause a third order harmonic that is in the audible range. That third order harmonic has such power and amplitude that the magnetic field induces the frequency into the electronics if they are close enough to the source. That is the reason that one can hear clicking and static-like artifacts in your music while being close to a phone.

If the phone is just sitting idle, it still needs to communicate to the towers periodically to update location information and other hand-shaking information. If the phone is in an active data session or phone call, the noise should be more consistent.

To reduce the effects of discontinuous transmit, you can separate your mobile phone from your DAP. Simply moving it to different pockets if you are carrying them together. Or move them 6 to 8 inches apart should be enough if sitting on a desk.

Regarding bluetooth and wifi: I am positive that this is an issue with cellular phones, but I'm not positive about the effects of wi-fi and bluetooth. The harmonics that are generated are a product of all the frequencies involved and the frequency of the on-off transmissions. To figure out if it is an issue, one has to take all of the transmitting frequencies, receive frequencies, on-off transmission frequency and complete Fourier transforms on them. Then identify the 3rd order harmonic products. If those 3rd order harmonic products are in the audible range, then it can be an issue.

Since it has been 20 years or more since I've done Fourier transforms, I will leave this evaluation to some younger people who are closer to their college math than I am. :)
Fascinating. Thanks for the info. Amazed at all the things designers have to consider when building products.

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #4,993 of 35,676
I tested out the Liberty+ for a brief while after charging them to verify they work before gifting them.

The SQ was decent. Not exactly clear or well detailed, but had a good V shape with nice bass extension. Definite veil on everything from 1-3k. They paired quickly and effortlessly.

Not having the same kind of fit issues. In fact I just used the same grip sleeves it came with and they fit/sealed perfectly.

Agreed on the transparency being worthless for anything other than avoiding being hit by a truck. It's muffled and delayed, so having a conversation would be tough.

I didn't have a problem with volume levels. I've got the BT from my LG v20 at around 3/4 with them.
They sealed okay with what came in the box, though for my ear shape, I think the sleeves that don't have that loop on will work better for me. I put them on last night, will probably try for more extended time tomorrow. Felt like going Bragi for this morning's commute. Sound quality on the Liberty+ easily beats the Bragi Headphone. Spinfits were much nicer for me, dunno if you got far enough to try it with different tips since you only tested for functionality as a gift; Spinfits offered a clearer sound and tightened the bass some (added a slight bit of emphasis too). Out of the IEMs I've listened to, probably the one that changed most in character with a change of tips. If the Liberty that's already on sale on Amazon is the exact same thing, but without the app link and transparency, I'd say grab that instead of this honestly. The app offers nothing extra and the transparency, as we both agree, sucks. I will say that the packaging for it was top-notch though. It's a noticeable thing with KS campaigns. I remember a few years ago, I backed the Flare R2 series and the packaging basically amounted to a cardboard ring box with a pair of comply tips inside. So you made a nice IEM, maybe put some effort into the presentation, alright?

Dec 12, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #4,995 of 35,676
... I will say that the packaging for it was top-notch though. It's a noticeable thing with KS campaigns. I remember a few years ago, I backed the Flare R2 series and the packaging basically amounted to a cardboard ring box with a pair of comply tips inside. So you made a nice IEM, maybe put some effort into the presentation, alright?

At least the guys at Flare learned for their follow up (non KS) project - have you seen the Flares Pro? Hands down the best looking packaging (and best unboxing experience) I've come across. They sound pretty impressive, too. Definitely a major step above the R2A sonically, and that is saying something.

I know a few people commented about them a while ago on the thread, but considering you get a great sounding Bluetooth module thrown in, they are a serious contender for the bang for your buck crown in the sub $500 iem market at the moment. Would love to write up a review on the set I bought at Canjam London, but I can't get them out of my girlfriend's ears long enough to do one! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back